Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

Trying out one of these this evening. Far too bright to image anything but I've done a Sharpcap polar align and pointed to the west at random sky. RA guiding was steady enough at around 3". Even managed to dither via ST4 which I didn't know you could do. Its way out of balance though. Scope heavy. I reckon I need another kg on the bar. Even so, there wasnt much difference in star shapes between 1, 2, 5 and even a 10 minute sub! No idea how I'll get on when I try to point to a target though!

20191211_225627.jpg

• Like 7

So much for clear night largely forecast. Just had to very quickly pack-up quick to avoid a soaking. Good job I was watching rain radar. Think I'll call it quits, moon too bright anyway so no so bad. 

Edited by AbsolutelyN

Just catching a few more pic's of comet Panstarrs, too close to the Moon and Dec' guiding on the fork / wedge SCT is a bit twitchy pointed straight up but should get something.

Dave

Edited by Davey-T
  • Like 2

Rain isn't forecast here till around 8 in the morning. 

I was going to set an alarm, but with all these comments about rain hitting already I think I'll keepy eyes peeled and pack up early to avoid and mishaps 

12 minutes ago, geordie85 said:

Rain isn't forecast here till around 8 in the morning. 

I was going to set an alarm, but with all these comments about rain hitting already I think I'll keepy eyes peeled and pack up early to avoid and mishaps 

Thats what I thought too but a band of showers seemed to sweep over Yorkshire earlier, not risking it myself (and tomorow night will be a late night anyway).  Not sure what others use but I'm currently finding netweather gives good realtime(ish) data https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar .... darksky also good and will alert on your phone when starts raining

Edited by AbsolutelyN
  • Like 2

I've spent the rest of my evening playing with my rain gauge, attempting to fix it and remove the hard-wired cable that isn't going to be long enough for where I want to site it.  I've put a 2-pin header on the PCB instead of the directly-soldered wires which was a load of fun thanks to all the hot-melt that was used when it was assembled.  I needed two attempts to get that cleaned up properly before the solder would take.

owfs now sees the counter for the bucket tips and it looks as though the magnet on the bucket tipper will activate the reed switch on the PCB if I hold them up to each other, so now I need to do some reassembly to check it still works when it's all back together.

James

• Like 1

I think I will have to bite the bullet and re-do my PA and model the next clear enough night. It hurts to forego an imaging night, but the last time Autoslew reported the PA error it was somewhere around 2.5' on both axes, and I've seen quite large uncorrected errors during long MLPTs. I really want to get the errors below 1' on each axis, and do a fine pointing model, the last one was only 50 point, whereas before I had done 120 point models. Fortunately the software has a very good PA routine, and an automatic pointing model generator.

• Like 1

That makes my 31' error look extreme!!  So I should be able to get it very much better.  I was wondering what would be considered a reasonable error and was going to ask - now I don't need to...

29 minutes ago, Gina said:

That makes my 31' error look extreme!!  So I should be able to get it very much better.  I was wondering what would be considered a reasonable error and was going to ask - now I don't need to...

I think I got mine down to a very small number of arcseconds Gina, though I may be mistaken.  I'll see if I can find where I posted about it.

James

• Thanks 1

Ok, not "small" numbers, perhaps, but Ekos was reporting that my alignment was better than one arcminute according to the post I made at the time.

James

• Thanks 1

Thanks James.  I probably posted myself at the time I was doing it.  I used a special camera system when I did it - PolarMate or something like that.  I think it's fitted to my NEQ6 which is sitting on the bench in the warm room but I'm not venturing out in the weather to look!

QHY PoleMaster looks like it as I remember from looking at FLO website. 

EDIT :- I see there is Linux software available for it but Ekos looks easier as it uses what's already there.

Edited by Gina

No imaging tonight - it's raining (as usual).

It is absolutely lashing down :(

Looks set to carry on until well into Saturday night, too.

James

Actually, the wind looks as though it's going to get a touch breezy overnight, too.  Perhaps it would be sensible to nip out and fasten the observatory roof down fully.

James

• Like 1

Raining here in North Norfolk since three o'clock and appears set in, time to open second bottle of wine. 🥳

• Like 1

I've just been out to lock all the roof latches.  Also set off a good few hours of dark-collecting runs.  Might as well put the time to some use.

James

23 hours ago, JamesF said:

I think I got mine down to a very small number of arcseconds Gina, though I may be mistaken.  I'll see if I can find where I posted about it.

James

With Sharpcap's polar align I am for about 15", sometimes get it below 10, although how long it stays that accurate is anyone's guess.

• Thanks 1

PHD log analyser says that my PA is 9 minutes off.

If I thought that this was affecting my images in any way, then I would try to improve it.

• Like 1

Yep, here too. CO is looking dire for the rest of next week.

Depressed and fed up.

I was promised sunshine today.

I couldn't time its duration because I don't have split seconds on my 'phone. :crybaby2:

• Like 1

We had some sunshine here but lots of showers too some heavy.

• Sad 1