Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

4 minutes ago, Gina said:

Does this indicate the worst error is in azimuth?

Can't quite make out the script on the overlay but looks approximately 45 degrees from pole so RMS on both axes, that is if you can tweak them that accurately.

The easiest way I found to do it was to tweak the knobs and see which way the chosen star moves, then it should be fairly obvious how to move it from one end of the line to the other.

James

• Thanks 1

Lots of cloud has come in so I've closed the roof.  I'll have another look later after I've eaten.

I think the best way to proceed is to get the laptop working properly and then I can take it out to the observatory and see the effect of tweaking the PA controls without having to pop in and out between house and observatory.  The laptop can sit on the warm room bench and communicate by WiFi.  I will then only have a few feet to walk between laptop and mount.

Definitely the way to go, Gina.  I didn't find OpenPHD's drift align method hard once I had the hang of it (perhaps helped by the fact that I have a good view  east and south, all but down to the celestial equator), but the Ekos method, stood at the mount with the laptop where I could see the display, was an absolute doddle.

James

• Thanks 1

I'm happy my newly-fixed RH sensor is working this evening.  It has settled out at around 92% which is quite believable and allows me to calculate the dew point as just over 1.5C.

James

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaveS said:

"A full moon in a clear sky. There'll be a frost before morning" Bonus points if you can get the reference, probably only if you've suffered through innumerable GCSE Drama practicals.

More to the point, although it's a clear sky there's not much visible below the brightest 2nd mag, think I won't bother.

I've just started imaging - a bit later than usual. 

I had to meet a friend after work.  I usually don't let the moon stop me from imaging, but the sky does look very bright.  I've decided that I'll just let the camera take an image where the mount went to before I did the first sync. Completely random....

Edited by don4l

Just had a look outside and there's still lots of cloud about some of it possibly rain cloud - it's pretty dark.  I have the laptop connected to the imaging rig but still have some setting up to do.

1 hour ago, Gina said:

I think the best way to proceed is to get the laptop working properly and then I can take it out to the observatory and see the effect of tweaking the PA controls without having to pop in and out between house and observatory.  The laptop can sit on the warm room bench and communicate by WiFi.  I will then only have a few feet to walk between laptop and mount.

I have found the best way is to take it out into the garden and leave it in the rain.

If it survives the last two months weather then I can chop it in half with an axe. Doesn’t work properly anyhow and I have lost several days of my life to Microsoft updates. You are aware you don’t get this time back in the form of a refund (time).

Marv

Ah well - I don't do Microsoft anymore!!!

Edited by Gina

1 minute ago, Gina said:

Ah well - I don't do Microsoft anymore!!!

Wise decision. Last words spoken after bills hit squad kick down my door.

• Like 1

I was right about the rain clouds!  It's raining now.  Glad I closed the observatory roof!

2 minutes ago, Gina said:

I was right about the rain clouds!  It's raining now.  Glad I closed the observatory roof!

That’s Mr Gates hit squad raining on your parade. They got to you first, I am a bit farther away. If you hear nothing in forty minutes you know I have gone to bed.... or fear the worst.

Marv

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Gina said:

Is there a reason you haven't built yourself an observatory Neil?

Limited options for placing one, the best spot for a scope would be near the middle of the lawn...

A move is likely this year but its complicated and I can't read the runes.

9 hours ago, JamesF said:

I bet he has, but he can't get into it on account of it being full of guitars :D

James

SSSSH!!!!

Bet the roads are bad round here - just rained on top of ice!!

• Sad 1

I know we complain about the weather (a lot) but I thought I would stick my head out the door despite the ongoing crap weather to be confronted by a flash of lightning and huge rumble of thunder. It is three deg C above and raining! And now a thunder storm?????? Been here 17 years and this is new to me.

Marv

• Sad 1

We always go with westerly, warmish but wet. Northerly, cold but very clear with gales. Easterly, freezing, stay indoors, don’t even think about it. Southerly, never in winter.

It is a full westerly blow. Heavy down pours every few hours. Ambient temp 4deg C then a summer thunder storm turns up! How? All over in two minutes.

Try operating an obsy in that, none of it is in the forecast.

My random L shot has turned up trumps.  I'm got at least 20 faint fuzzies in 30m ( 6 x 5m) L subs.  This is a cropped image from just East of M33.  There isn't much else that you can do on a night like tonight when the whole northern half of the sky is blocked by your house.

Sum random.jpg

• Like 3

Just had a look outside.  No more imaging tonight - misty - wide halo round the moon and a fuzzy area round it.  Air feels decidedly damp.

5 hours ago, stash_old said:

+1

And Dont forget the CCDCiel Sequencer - better than EKOS Sequencer or APT Sequencer/Scripting versions IMO - simple and flexible !

I'm a bit nervous about trying the sequencer.  If I like it, then I'll be just one step away from full blown remote imaging.  That would not be for me.  I still feel a bit guilty about imaging from indoors.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Believe me, after you've missed three of the clearest, most transparent nights through being almost immobile with a duff back, robotic / remote imaging has a deal to offer. Being stuck indoors with a streaming cold is also a reason to go remote.

• Like 2