Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

You may already have seen this but just in case, I've been using this to get myself up the curve (slowly!) https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/extragear-edu/kstars/tool-ekos.html

• Thanks 1

Thank you very much - no haven't seen this site - looks great :thumbsup:

No worries - thank you for pointing me to GIMP earlier in the thread.  Good luck - I'm really liking EKOS so far (although as a beginner I don't really have much to compare it to so that is of course very much a basic lay-person's opinion 😄)

A couple of years ago I was using all Windows software with ASCOM to run my astro imaging and it was a pain.  Particularly with a Windows crash part way through an imaging run.  KStars/Ekos/INDI seems a much better system and it runs on minimal equipment such as the RPi.

Regarding the Dell laptop that was running Linux Mint (very old - originally sported Windows Vista), tried installing latest LM beside the original OS and it's giving the same error and waiting.  So something is wrong and I suspect the HDD which is 80GB.  I've copied off some astro images and Arduino sketches but there's nothing else of any interest so I'll try wiping the disk and installing afresh. 

Had a thought - there's a laptop HDD in the dead W7 Laptop which I could swap to the Dell.

On second thoughts, I'll take the W7 HDD out and put it in a USB caddy and see what's on it.  May buy a new disk for the Dell.

1 hour ago, Gina said:

A couple of years ago I was using all Windows software with ASCOM to run my astro imaging and it was a pain.  Particularly with a Windows crash part way through an imaging run.  KStars/Ekos/INDI seems a much better system and it runs on minimal equipment such as the RPi.

I started using Linux last May, and I would really hate to have to go back to Windows.

My CdC/CCDCiel/Indi setup is brutally efficient.

On Monday night I was imaging within 24 minutes of starting to carry my stuff out to the patio.  Setting up used to take a good 90 minutes - if I was lucky.  I'm also wasting far less time finding my target and my subs are in better focus because I can reliably refocus in under 2 minutes.

It almost feels like cheating!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, don4l said:

CdC/CCDCiel/Indi setup is brutally efficient.

+1

And Dont forget the CCDCiel Sequencer - better than EKOS Sequencer or APT Sequencer/Scripting versions IMO - simple and flexible !

My Dell laptop is working following wiping the HDD and installing Linux Mint fresh.  Just finished installing KStars/Ekos/INDI latest version.  Next to set it all up...

Just popped outside and the sky is mostly clear with some strips of cloud to the east.  Blummin' cold out!!

Bits of cloud to the east but we'll see what happens with the PA.

"A full moon in a clear sky. There'll be a frost before morning" Bonus points if you can get the reference, probably only if you've suffered through innumerable GCSE Drama practicals.

More to the point, although it's a clear sky there's not much visible below the brightest 2nd mag, think I won't bother.

Lost mount connection again.  Off out to investigate.

There are clear patches here, too, but an awful lot of cloud.

James

Mount connected again.  Sky almost totally clear.  Freezing hard.

Blimey.  It's still over 2.5C here.  What altitude are you at, Gina?

James

Fairly clear here and a predicted frost; but a moon and a school day tomorrow. Oh for a permanent set up so I could gather photons for an odd hour at a time. However ground work starts fairly soon as command approval has been granted.

• Like 1

Oh yes, an observatory makes a huge difference.

Does this indicate the worst error is in azimuth?  And does it tell me which way to move the mount?

Edited by Gina