Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

22 hours ago, KevS said:

Good evening everyone, confession time. I would like to nominate myself for "dork of the week". This afternoon for a little entertainment I transferred the imaging kit to a widefield 72 mm apo, resplendent with the new prima luce labs dovetail and rings. Keyed up for widefield M81 job. For the last 3 hours I have been wrestling with guiding, checking for cable snags, checking clutches, lots of swearing (obviously under my breath). I have finally twigged that when the guide camera went on its new Altair guide scope earlier today I rotated it to alter the cable run. I have now calibrated PHD to the new guide scope orientation and everything is going swimmingly.:BangHead:.

On a happier note I have just found a bottle of Tobermory 20 year old malt in the back of one of the kitchen cabinets from a trip to Mull 3 years ago. 

Cheers

K

Confusion he say "Always calibrate PHD2, for a few minutes wait, you will not regret!"

1 hour ago, Gina said:

I fear you could be right but I reckon to have tri-colour DSO images, mostly using Ha, OIII and SII.  Also, I reckon to have found some NII in Orion but can't find the image ATM.  This shows a tri-colour image of the Eagle Nebula with Ha, OIII and SII.

129184842_Screenshotfrom2019-06-1812-20-27.png.5363102952eb304cb1b9ffa4f9312df4.png

EDIT :-  Found the Orion image.

The Eagle shows my issue with SII.  The OIII shows up clearly and enhances the image.  The SII just muddies the Ha.

Maybe I just don't like green.

I do like your Angelfish.  It should be renamed the Alien Nebula.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here's a stacked image of the Heart & Soul from last night.  22 subs of 240s (4m) total 88m imaging time.  Aligned and stacked in PI then stretched and scaled in GIMP

1373569147_HeartSoul.thumb.png.545815ffb4358798800da761584ce4d4.png

• Like 3

Just been out to pick up my son from the sixth form Christmas party and the sky was clearing as we drove home.  There were obvious mist patches showing up in the headlights and everything is sodden from all the rain in the last 24 hours, so I shan't be going out I don't think.

James

Just looked outside.  The sky is mostly clear with a few stars showing but there's a bank of cloud to the east.  Not sure whether I feel like doing any imaging - it's getting a bit late.  Maybe could give it an hour.

Just looked at KStars and can't see anything sensible to image.  Cygnus has set and Orion is in that bank of cloud.  Heart & Soul are rather too close to the moon.

It's cleared up here too.  There is a very faint large halo (22.5deg.??) which looks huge around the moon.  Unfortunately, I've got work tomorrow, so I won't bother setting up.

Edited by don4l

Had another look outside and there's odd patches of cloud about now and the air feels decidedly damp.  Not going to risk opening the observatory tonight.

Edited by Gina

Well I'm blowed.  I was right about damp in the air - started raining now!!

Looks like it might be alright from about 2 till 4 here - clear as anything but bright and hints of mist at low alt. Rather hoping Thursday night is clear - I'll be up late to watch The Event and have Friday off so might as well be imaging as I go!

Looks to be a write-off for the whole week. CO is showing some green and orange blocks tonight, but with a full moon I won't even be running a model, don't fancy standing outside doing the PA either.

I think it's time I checked and adjusted the PA on my EQ8 - not done it for years and I know it isn't perfect as my images have shown a drift of something like half a degree an hour away from the polar axis.  Also shows as a pixel or so a minute in individual subs - with a resolution of about 400 pixels per degree.

14 minutes ago, Gina said:

I think it's time I checked and adjusted the PA on my EQ8 - not done it for years and I know it isn't perfect as my images have shown a drift of something like half a degree an hour away from the polar axis.  Also shows as a pixel or so a minute in individual subs - with a resolution of about 400 pixels per degree.

Tut.

Take 100 lines, I must check my PA more often 🙂

Feel sorry for us poor fools who have to set up afresh every night!

• Haha 1

Is there a reason you haven't built yourself an observatory Neil?

I need to sort out a laptop or some form of computer to use in the observatory so that I can see the images from a camera on the mount.  Easiest would probably be to get one of my laptops working and install KStars/Ekos on it.  Other possibilities are an RPi with keyboard, trackball and HTML display or even an old desktop PC if I still have one that works other than my main indoors one.

If the sky is clear enough, early enough, I may try for an hour or so of [NII] on M27, which does, at least have attested nitrogen signal.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Gina said:

Is there a reason you haven't built yourself an observatory Neil?

I bet he has, but he can't get into it on account of it being full of guitars :D

James

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Forecasts for this evening show partly cloudy so I guess there's a possibility.  If I can get something sorted out I might have a go at PA.  Otherwise I can't see much promise.

With a remote imaging system it would be sensible to have remote PA adjustment but I think adding drive motors to the EQ8 mount would be quite a job.

Edited by Gina

Been out to the observatory and checked the mount.  The altitude clamping screws were loose so I guess I must have been doing PA when something interrupted me and I never got back to it.  I'm going to use Drift Alignment as the most accurate PA method.  I can run tests from indoors and see how far out it is. 

I have a non-working laptop which was running Linux Mint but shuts down after 10s with an error message so I'm running a Live DVD to check it out.  The Live DVD is running fine so it could be an HDD fault and I shall be running tests.  If the HDD is fine I'll install Linux from scratch on the OS partition but it it's failed I can buy an SSD to replace it.

The Ekos alignment routines worked pretty well for me, Gina.  Then I used OpenPHD's drift alignment system for the mount that can't see the NCP.

James

Ah yes, good point - hadn't thought of Ekos - was going to do it from scratch.

Ah, found it in Alignment but the instructions are scant.