Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

Sky still looking good - best Horse's Head so far.  Needs narrower FOV though.

Ha 240s gain 360 T -35.

HH_Light_H_Alpha_240_secs_2019-12-09T22-50-40_002.png.1a5de5a4da3c11189b264af6dde2db90.png

• Like 8

1 hour ago, KevS said:

Good evening everyone, confession time. I would like to nominate myself for "dork of the week". This afternoon for a little entertainment I transferred the imaging kit to a widefield 72 mm apo, resplendent with the new prima luce labs dovetail and rings. Keyed up for widefield M81 job. For the last 3 hours I have been wrestling with guiding, checking for cable snags, checking clutches, lots of swearing (obviously under my breath). I have finally twigged that when the guide camera went on its new Altair guide scope earlier today I rotated it to alter the cable run. I have now calibrated PHD to the new guide scope orientation and everything is going swimmingly.:BangHead:.

On a happier note I have just found a bottle of Tobermory 20 year old malt in the back of one of the kitchen cabinets from a trip to Mull 3 years ago. 

Cheers

K

Yep done that, very entertaining watching the state of panic set in on PHD as it swings wider and wider as it trys to move the scope to the west and it actually moves north etc, after a while it gave up and decided it was on a hiding to nothing....I am sure it would have swore at me if it could speak....

Well done on the Whisky.....try the Talisker 57 degree north....if you come across one....☠️

• Haha 1

I'll be turning in soon, my back is aching again despite taking a medicinal quantity of Aberlour A'Bunadh cask strength liquid anesthetic.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Kev M said:

Talisker 57 degree north

I have a look around for that one, looking for something different for crimbo, that is if I don't have to sell a kidney to buy a bottle.

Edited by KevS

I've got my 45x2m RGB subs in the can, so will process them later. I couldn't resist starting another target, so have moved over to M82 to shoot some Ha. I haven't imaged this galaxy on it's own since the SN back in Feb 2014 and then with a DSLR in LP Surrey using my old 10" Meade LX200 - a very clunky mount for imaging 🥴. I will be very interested to see how much of the star burst I can get from my darker Norfolk skies using a dedicated mono CCD + Ha filter 🤞

• Like 4

My first time ever with EKOS (what a brilliant piece of software) on a GP2 mount that I modded up with a guiding package from Ukraine called EQStar EQ5.  And my first ever stacked subs of anything (20 of the moon).  Baby steps :)

pp_Moon 9 Dec_stacked.jpg

• Like 4

1st M82 15m Ha sub, not calibrated, but aggressively stretched - I think it shows promise....

M82_900sec_2x2_Ha_frame1.thumb.jpg.8fea83f9ec661372d6b8e886f2c69c3e.jpg

• Like 5

I think I will have to get into the Ha malarkey; of course after seeking the appropriate command approval😏

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, that's me done for tonight, turning in now to save my back.

'night all, and good luck to all those playing in the moonlight.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cropped the image to cut out M42.  This is full scale but cropped.  Focus is definitely improved.  Again 240s 3nm Ha.  Asahi SuperTakumar 135mm f2.5 lens at full aperture.  ZWO EFW, ASI 1600MM-Cool cooled to -35C and gain of 360.  Starting to get eggy stars due to no guiding.

HH_Light_H_Alpha_240_secs_2019-12-09T23-11-20_007a.thumb.png.8bccb03014f34210aa7d1fbfd9c6a5de.png

Edited by Gina
  • Like 2

Still lovely and clear here, can't actually remember seeing any clouds....  Just waiting for M42 to come into view.

Took a quick shot of tonight's Moon. 

5E5A1BBB-AC4F-4D8B-AAAB-4DA4E1081877.thumb.jpeg.5c2dc771cd71b178afdf9cbcd8868287.jpeg

Edited by Benjam
  • Like 3

Here is the full frame that the above image was cropped from, scaled for posting.

HH_Light_H_Alpha_240_secs_2019-12-09T23-11-20_007b.thumb.png.57f1e85399aba318ee38ca1ec52f1126.png

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

1st M82 15m Ha sub, not calibrated, but aggressively stretched - I think it shows promise....

M82_900sec_2x2_Ha_frame1.thumb.jpg.8fea83f9ec661372d6b8e886f2c69c3e.jpg

That shows great promise!  Your skies/telescope/filter or whatever must suit this object.  I got a reasonable result last winter, and my subs were nowhere near as good as that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I estimate a suitable focal length for the Horse's Head would be around 400mm.  That will be my Esprit 80ED Pro scope but I shall need to get guiding going again, what with the much narrower FOV and worse focal ratio.

Edited by Gina

7 minutes ago, Gina said:

I estimate a suitable focal length for the Horse's Head would be around 400mm.  That will be my Esprit 80ED Pro scope but I shall need to get guiding going again, what with the much narrower FOV and worse focal ratio.

That sounds about right, Gina.  I've been using my TS 72 (420mm focal length) with a 0.79x reducer/flattener and it frames both the Horse's Head and Flame quite neatly.  If you just want the Horse's Head then 400mm doesn't seem an unreasonable choice.  Depending on the sensor size you might even still get them both.

James

Looked outside and while free of cloud the moon looking misty so time to pack up.

I've set my camera up for wide field hoping for an early Geminid. Fighting the moon coming up really strong.

Gina I like the horsehead images. You never cease to amaze me! 👍👍

• Thanks 1

All packed up now and roof closed.  A good evening in spite of nearly full moon.  I'm much encouraged. 😀

Time for bed now so goodnight anyone still up and good luck to anyone still "playing".

• Like 4

After seeing @carastro's recent image I've had a look at  LDN1622.  It looks very interesting.  I've never imaged a "dark" before, so I'm very pleased.  This is 30m Ha (I'll need a lot more over the coming weeks) 

I need to pack up now as I've got work tomorrow.

Sum bogey.jpg

• Like 6

Just now, don4l said:

After seeing @carastro's recent image I've had a look at  LDN1622.  It looks very interesting.  I've never imaged a "dark" before, so I'm very pleased.  This is 30m Ha (I'll need a lot more over the coming weeks) 

I need to pack up now as I've got work tomorrow.

Sum bogey.jpg

Looking good Donal. The longest subs I've ever shot are my current 15m Ha. I couldn't face the prospect of shooting a bunch of 30m darks library.....!!