Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

43 minutes ago, Gina said:

Seems my W7 laptop is dead or at least the screen is.   Tried taking the battery out wit power disconnected.  Lights come on but no screen.  I'll plug a monitor in later and see if the rest works.

Try shining a very bright torch at the screen whilst it is supposed to be on. If you can just make out items on the desktop, then the screen backlight is goosed. New screen backlights fitted are about £50/70 depending where you go. 

Or good excuse to treat yourself to an early Christmas Present 🎁

Derek 

Edited by Physopto
  • Thanks 1

If it were just the backlight I'd have thought the HDMI output should work fine.

James

I'd have thought so too.  I'll investigate it further tomorrow.  It could be that it needs a button pressed or something to enable HDMI output.

Edited by Gina

Nearly finished the mods to my widefield imaging rig, just have to extent the focus motor wires.  Another little job for tomorrow.

23 hours ago, Mick H said:

Hi Geoff, are you a member of Norwich Astronomical Society at Seething?

Hi Mick, yes I am, how could you tell?🤔😉 Are you a member there too?

Geof

Hi Geoff, no I'm not a member.

I have often thought of joining and popping along there at some point, or joining The North Norfolk Astronomy Society at Wiveton.

I'm in Wroxham.

Mick

Edited by Mick H

27 minutes ago, Mick H said:

Hi Geoff, no I'm not a member.

I have often thought of joining and popping along there at some point, or joining The North Norfolk Astronomy Society at Wiveton.

I'm in Wroxham.

Mick

Hi Mick,

I'd say that you should definitely pop along to Seething sometime. I don't get there as often as I probably should, mainly because I have my own observatory at home, but there are usually some members there on a Friday night which is the society's club night (https://www.norwichastro.org.uk/club-nights), or look our for a public night, the next ones being the weekend of 31/01/2012-01/02/2021 (https://www.norwichastro.org.uk/events/category/talks-open). The facilities for observing and imaging are excellent and the members are very friendly, so you'd get a warm welcome.

Cheers, Geof

Thanks Geoff,  your own observatory at home. envious emoji thingy

I will definitely attend at some point, I hope to see you there one time.

I shall wear a red rose behind my left ear. 😉

Mick

• Haha 1

I, initially, was concerned about the strength of wind.....But then I was wondering....How low was that plane? !!! 😮

image.thumb.png.b0457478da6e08b5e9958b313a723252.png

• Haha 1

It's clear here, so I am having a look at some new targets.  NGC 1491 has an incredibly bright central area so I am ignoring the moonlight.

..... I posted too soon!  Clouds have just moved in.  I'll keep an eye on things for a while.

Edited by don4l
It's become cloudy!
  • Like 1

Thunder and lightning and rain here 🌧️🌩️ driving the dog mad just waiting now for the electricity to pop. candles ready (typical France) lovely weather....

Andy 

Chucked it down this morning-ish, with some rumbles of thunder. Shortly after, about 1.30 the power went off, great, NOT, as I had veg in the oven roasting for Sunday lunch to go with pan-fried salmon. Managed to pan-fry the salmon on the camp stove I'd bought for an SGL outside on the patio table, the veg were just about edible. Power came on, then went off again an repeated until about 4.30. Seems to be OK now but it's blowing a bit and chucking it down again.

• Sad 2

Raining here too and windy, no power cuts so far though.

Only got a few more 1200 sec' darks to go so hope it doesn't start raining just yet.

Dave

• Like 1

I was getting some subs on Soul Nebula in NB. Then I saw clouds coming and threat of rain so stopped and parked up. The cloud went by but I could see more in the distance so I just took a few snaps of C2017 T2 Panstarrs with the C11. Post seperate thread. Here is the TS65Q Plate solve image.... Rain stopped play after 6 x 1 minute subs.

image.png.c7f09356b6f2420dfc1d868677154821.png

• Like 3

May be a chance to check my imaging system out tonight.  Only Ha though with the nearly full moon.

1768161408_Screenshotfrom2019-12-0910-17-51.png.4ca9411ca113cdefc3ff875fc5c6f9d0.png

• Like 1

Maybe here as well if the forecast comes true.

Dave

1296098202_Weather09-12-19.thumb.PNG.ed04f7a543f628c67066c7ba9d0b25f3.PNG

Same here. I think all I'll do is recheck the camera orientation after I had tightened everything up. The data I want to get will not be moon proof unfortunately, unless I can think of another HII target. California in HII perhaps with the 80mm and 183? Except I'm not sure whether I have a hydrogen filter in that wheel. No, I am NOT buying another set of Astrodons :eek: :laugh:.

• Haha 1

Now that would really strain the bank account past breaking point!!  I'd like more 3nm Astrodons but the ones I have barely get used so any more would be OTT!!

Having checked Stellarium, the Moon is far too close. I cannot see any worthwhile HII targets that are far enough away to be doable, and I'm not going to be taking subs just to fill my hard drive. So telescope housekeeping only I think. Not even sure if I can do the PA and modeling, as I will have to be at the telescope to make the adjustments and it's too damn cold!