Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

Just trying to get a new set of calibration frames before it rains.

Dave

No chance tonight, but possibly a clear-ish slot tomorrow. However with 73% moon, plus the need to fettle my 'scope I think all I'll be doing is refining PA and making a new model. I'll have to adjust the camera angle too,

Cloudy here tonight, so I decided to look at a couple of issues.  My focuser has been applying backlash on inward movements instead of outward.  A bit of research and you have to use a minus sign to get it to work properly.  Mind you, it was already doing much better at autofocusing than I ever managed, so it will be interesting to see if it ca be improved further.  Somehow, I doubt it, but the issue is sorted.

I also think that I have a problem with tilt, or focal reducer spacing.  This would be much easier to do indoors, but I cannot find focus.  I don't even know if I should move in, or out from the normal position.  Even though I have a teast 1cm of inward and 2 cm of outward travel available, I haven't been able to reach focus.

Drizzle and blowy, so can turn in without feelings of guilt or FOMO.

'night all, hope *someone* is having a clear night.

Cloudy here too and spitting with rain.  Can't say what it's been like from 7pm as I've just got back from our WI Christmas Social - great evening.

Replacement cable for EQ8 mount is on it's way and should arrive tomorrow.

Been pretty miserable here and the rain is back, but I've been working all evening so I can live with that.

James

Cloudy and windy here tonight, so I've spent the evening processing my Mel 15 data, which I've just posted...

I still have my NGC7479 (Superman Galaxy) data to process, so maybe I'll get to that tomorrow.

Cheers, Geof

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Davey-T said:

the Phantom nebula SH2-173, single 1200sec'  Ha

Dave, super impressed with a 20min exposure no trailing or amp glow...and for being inside the M25 how come it didnt just blow out with light pollution....?

1 hour ago, mikeyj1 said:

Dave, super impressed with a 20min exposure no trailing or amp glow...and for being inside the M25 how come it didnt just blow out with light pollution....?

Just a case of throwing money at this hobby 😂

10Micron mount can do pretty much open ended sub times and QSI683 camera with Astrodon 3nm Ha filter helps.

Dave

• Haha 1

EQDIR cable for EQ8 has arrived so I'll try it when we get some suitable weather.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gina said:

EQDIR cable for EQ8 has arrived so I'll try it when we get some suitable weather.

You don't want to do it like that. :wink2:

You want to try it when the weather is no good for astronomy.  :thumbsup:

[With all due apologies to Harry Enfield.]

• Haha 2

Clearing up at the moment.  I need some OIII data, but the moon looks too bright. 

Got my new SW 150 pds yesterday and clear skies for first light and I loved it. Tonight, no cloud at all............ but pea soup thick fog. Really hurts that 300 meters above me it is amazing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rusted said:

You don't want to do it like that. :wink2:

You want to try it when the weather is no good for astronomy.  :thumbsup:

[With all due apologies to Harry Enfield.]

Ha ha...  I don't take kit outside when it's raining.

Actually it has stopped raining but I've been busy.  High speed cloud scudding across the sky tonight!!

• Like 1

The sky has cleared up here.  I've grabbed 30m Ha on Pacman, and I'm now seeing what the OIII looks like. 

• Like 1

Been raining here but seems to have stopped now.

I've been at my local astronomy society's 'public' night tonight, doing my duty as a parking attendant and will be there again doing the same again tomorrow evening. The society runs a range of talks and public viewing every month through the main observing season, so as the skies cleared tonight I also assisted the visitors with some observing and sky navigation. It was a very worthwhile and enjoyable evening. After most visitors had left I spent a few minutes observing M42 with the society's dome observatory located 20 year old Meade 14" SCT. I was amazed just how much of the nebulosity was visible despite the very bright 1st quarter Moon flooding the sky. I was also surprised that I could count 21 stars in the Orion asterism whilst in the dome, but nothing like that, maybe 10-12 stars, when outside, which just goes to show what a difference a dome makes to dark eye adaption when it protects your eyes from the Moon's direct glare. My own observatory is a ROR which of course provides an all sky view, but no protection from lunar or other LP, nor wind, which was blowing a fair rate of knots tonight. Definitely one up for the dome obs over ROR....

Edited by geoflewis
  • Like 3

Hi Geoff, are you a member of Norwich Astronomical Society at Seething?

Fine weather today so took the new EQDIR cable out to the observatory and tried it on the W7 laptop but the laptop wouldn't work!!  Brought laptop back indoors and took imaging rig out and tried that (RPi).  Connected and powered up, back indoors to test and IT WORKS!!  Yippee!  Just need to finish sorting out my remote focus now.  The new cable seems better quality than the old one - thank you FLO!  Come up trumps again 😀

Edited by Gina
  • Like 4

Not out tonight, haven't looked at the skies, as Moon is too bright and exhausted from 3 all nighters already this week, need to catch up on some sleep.

Carole 

Cloud and wind here and still hunting through various USB sticks and external drives for last years calibration frames 😂

Dave

• Haha 1

Seems my W7 laptop is dead or at least the screen is.   Tried taking the battery out wit power disconnected.  Lights come on but no screen.  I'll plug a monitor in later and see if the rest works.

Edited by Gina
  • Sad 1