Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

Nothing whatsoever there that relates to the USB devices Gina.  I think, as you say, it might well be dead :(

James

Very nice, Geof.

Edited by Gina
  • Thanks 1

Doesn't look as if anything can be done with it other than breaking it open.  It's a Hitecastro.  Looks like I need a replacement from FLO.

I replaced my Hitecastro lead with one of FLO's a few weeks ago.  Absolutely no problems since.  No faffing with out-of-date drivers either.

Mike

• Like 1

The last two subs looked like there was stray light coming from somewhere.  Its getting foggy.

Ah well [sigh]....

• Sad 2

8 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Nothing whatsoever there that relates to the USB devices Gina.  I think, as you say, it might well be dead :(

James

Seems likely, I've had it quite a few years.  Anyway, I've ordered a replacement from FLO.  Doesn't hurt to have a spare.

Well, that's typical!

A quick check showed clear sky, so got changed, wandered down to the observatory, refitted the guidescope and rolled the roof back to find the Moon obscured by cloud!

I guess I can at least check the focus on the guidescope.

James

LOL.  Just stepped out of the warm room to find a cat peering at my guiltily over the edge of the rolling roof.  Not sure it can find a way down having got up there, and it's a bit icy already.  I guess that will be a learning experience then :)

James

• Haha 2

Just started imaging, weather station reports humidity as 113% ?

Dave

5 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Just started imaging, weather station reports humidity as 113% ?

Mine is saying over 117%. I think I might have to read the vdd/vad values etc. myself and to my own calculation.

James

Just looked outside (quickly) and it's a beautifully clear night.  Typical with my gear out of action!!

• Sad 1

Seeing the first subs with diagonal trailing. I'm not surprised as I've seen them before at about the same point, I know that further subs will be OK. I think it's to do with the PA and model as it occurs around the northern meridian pass.

• Like 1

My new favourite lunar observing location.............the conservatory. 👍🏻

Lovely clear views of the moon tonight. The Morpheus 4.5 was ideal for closeup viewing in the Bresser 10” dob. No heat and opening one of the big windows soon had the conservatory down to ambient temp. Felt a lot warmer than outside even though the temp was the same. 

0926EB2E-840E-4186-B510-A0F93BA83D06.jpeg

• Like 3

I've just gone outside with my head torch on.  The air is thick with what is not quite drizzle.  It looks almost like very fine rain.

Perhaps the torch is amplifying the effect, but I have not seen anything like it before,

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, don4l said:

I've just gone outside with my head torch on.  The air is thick with what is not quite drizzle.  It looks almost like very fine rain.

Perhaps the torch is amplifying the effect, but I have not seen anything like it before,

I think that means you're inside a cloud :)

James

• Haha 4

The first three hour sequence is finished. I think I will just get another hour to make up for any duff subs and for the low S/N in moonlight, even though the sky is pretty good. Have a relatively early night again to save my back, and be up for the roofers coming in.

• Like 2

While I'm waiting for the new cable for my mount (hoping that's what's wrong) I shall be redesigning the mounting and remote focussing of my imaging rig.  Might do some more on my ASC too.

• Like 1

The first of the second run of subs is in, and as expected Sequence did a meridian flip, which was, of course, in the opposite direction to a southern flip which I'm more used to. Logical, but looks odd.

• Like 1

According to the weather station it is starting to warm up.  Not by a lot, but definitely so over the last half hour.  I'm not sure that's a good sign.

James

• Confused 1

I finished 3 hours of Ha on Mel 15 and now back on green, but I think the sky is fogging up, also not helped by the still too bright Moon in the SW. I'm going to persevere, just in case I don't get another chance for a while, as I can always replace them if I do get another opportunity...

I had a  USB-->Mount adaptor go at  one of our club meetings. It caught fire and I burnt my thumb pulling it out!

It was poor soldering and stray wires shorted across the GND and 3.3V lines. Luckily computer and mount survived. I replaced it with a USB-serial adaptor of the bay for a couple of quid.

EQ dir death (1).JPG

EQ dir death (3).JPG

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Sad 4

14 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I had a  USB-->Mount adaptor go at  one of our club meetings. It caught fire and I burnt my thumb pulling it out!

It was poor soldering and stray wires shorted across the GND and 3.3V lines. Luckily computer and mount survived. I replaced it with a USB-serial adaptor of the bay for a couple of quid.

EQ dir death (1).JPG

EQ dir death (3).JPG

This is the second fire that we have heard about in astronomy kit this week.

One wonders if this stuff actually meets safety regulations??

That is amazing and frightening.  Shades of Fake Britain!!

Had a quick look outside and the sky is still clear.   Looks like this will be the last clear night for some time 😕

Good luck to those with working gear, clear skies and carrying on.  I'm off to bed - goodnight.

• Like 1