Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

High thin cloud here, but otherwise it’s clear, so I’m going for it. Just started capturing R on Mel 15, hoping to add RGB to the Ha that I captured a couple of months ago. The Moon is bright, but low down in the SW and a long way from my target, so fingers crossed that I’ll get away with it.

1st sub is in and looks promising; guiding is at 0.36" total RMS with RA and Dec even at 0.25", which is about as good as I've seen with this rig (C14 + x0.67 Optec telecompressor) 😄

Good luck to everyone out tonight.

Geof

Edited by geoflewis
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Still cloudy here, may get better or worse :grin:

I think you've summarised it perfectly.

James

• Haha 4

I'm nice and comfortably seated on the settee and can't be bothered to move!  Nothing ready for imaging anyway so not much point in looking outside.

• Like 3

Hmmm, well...  I've refocused, but my Pacman OIII still looks rather noisy and the stars look a touch bloated.  Guiding doesn't look quite as could as it could be and there are a few random wanderings on the graph, so perhaps that's why.  I'll see what the next sub looks like.

James

Although I'm capturing photons I'm not actually outside, rather keeping an eye on things with RDP. I may well go out in a minute, but I won't be bending over a 'scope (Even though I have my Megrez 90 out on the HEQ5) as I'm taking care of my back. may do a bit of mk1 eyeball unassisted "looking around".

Looking at the MLPT graph and residuals I think I still have a way to go with PA and the sky model, especially when imaging so close to the pole.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Although I'm capturing photons I'm not actually outside, rather keeping an eye on things with RDP. I may well go out in a minute, but I won't be bending over a 'scope (Even though I have my Megrez 90 out on the HEQ5) as I'm taking care of my back. may do a bit of mk1 eyeball unassisted "looking around".

Looking at the MLPT graph and residuals I think I still have a way to go with PA and the sky model, especially when imaging so close to the pole.

Good to know that you're back APing whilst also looking after your back Dave :thumbright:. I'm also inside nice and toasty in front of a roaring log burner, whilst the scope and camera are shooting Mel 15 in the obs. I'm using RDC to monitor progress 😀

• Like 1

It would appear I am a bit too widefield to make flaming star worthwhile (at least judging by what was showing up) so doing some short subs on M31 instead - with any luck some of them will be good inbetween the clouds.

Need to sort out dome rotation, went out to rotate it, came back in to see it doing a flip on the camera, had to go back out and rotate it back again 😄

• Like 1

Phew that was close. Went out to start a second run on M81 and realised that, for reasons unknown other than my own stupidity, I was running sequences of LRGL!

Luckily I caught it in plenty of time so just catching to with some B data :). Another hour at it then I’ll have to bring everything in. 

• Like 2

Looks like we might have some thick cloud rolling in here.  Could be game over for this evening.

James

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Good to know that you're back APing whilst also looking after your back Dave :thumbright:. I'm also inside nice and toasty in front of a roaring log burner, whilst the scope and camera are shooting Mel 15 in the obs. I'm using RDC to monitor progress 😀

Thanks Geof, just hoping that I haven't pushed thing too far to fast. I'm also working on Mel15, but only [OIII] at the mo. May have another think when the sequence is finished. Remote desktop is more than very useful, especially when it's a bit nippy out!

• Like 1

Couldn't resist having a look outside having had to disturb myself anyway and quite a number of stars showing and the moon but quite a collection of clouds around the moon.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Looks like we might have some thick cloud rolling in here.  Could be game over for this evening.

James

Seen one sub with very dodgy S/N. Looked out and there are quite a few clouds moving over. Will continue the sequence and see what happens.

It does seem a bit mixed this evening Gina, certainly.

James

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Same here.  I'm using TightVNC as opposed to RDP - same thing I believe.  I don't cope with the cold very well these days.

Some lovely music playing in the background.  Much better than all the shouty stuff on TV these days.

Having a go at M31 now.  It's about time that I tried to get a decent one. 

• Like 1

I was playing tonight but the clouds came in at about 20:30 so now I am watching 'The Gold Digger' on the television 😱 !

I love this country ..... 🤣

• Like 2

Me too.  I grabbed 19 x 10 minute OIII Bubble nebula subs then I got an equipment gremlin.  As soon as I resolved it the clouds were there.....

Did some observing of Auriga region too with the 12" Dob.

Can't complain about tonight.  Never expected to get anything.

• Like 2

I've just stopped this sequence as I've lost a sub to cloud which is very near total. Still going to wait a bit to see if it clears.

Well I've closed up for the night, as I'm not going to play cloud-dodging while imaging. Maybe OK for visual but no-go for capturing good data.

Now going to rest my back for the evening.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DaveS said:

I've just stopped this sequence as I've lost a sub to cloud which is very near total. Still going to wait a bit to see if it clears.

Well I've closed up for the night, as I'm not going to play cloud-dodging while imaging. Maybe OK for visual but no-go for capturing good data.

Now going to rest my back for the evening.

Yeah my back playing up too mate.  You need a good brandy down you!

• Like 3

A lot of clear sky here with a good sprinkling of stars - some clouds round the moon.  Still work to do on my imaging rig so the sky isn't relevant.  Typical of course, possibly clear sky and the gear plays up!!

40 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

Yeah my back playing up too mate.  You need a good brandy down you!

That will be that EQ6 , you should sell it ( cheaply ) do your back the world of good.

Started imaging a while ago but a few contrails and clouds moving really slowly, where's the breeze when  you need it ?

Dave

• Like 1

Just been to lock up, poked my head out and it's a beautiful clear sky again. Ah well, never mind, I still have this wretched trapped nerve to clear, after putting it back again on Sat. I have roofers coming in again tomorrow so will need to be up at a sensible time, will look at the data tomorrow.

• Like 1

I put the focal reducer on the C11 and set it imaging M81 @ 600s subs. Once I was happy all was working well, I went shopping for Xmas presents lol. Got back to find 16 x600s collected. Then the clouds rolled in 😮  I hate to say it....but my lonesome rig was doing fine until I showed up!! 🤣

• Like 1

OK, that's it, turning in now.

'night, clear skies, and good playing to anyone still out.

• Like 1