Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

Obsy open and having a go at pacman, it's quite high up though so had to reverse the dome so the aperture is pointing directly at the neighbours - something I try to avoid as no doubt they suspect the worst 😆

I on the other hand am inside in the warm processing last nights data.

• Like 2

Trying for the Squid with the new camera.  It is barely registering in 10m subs binned 2x2.  This requires patience. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, don4l said:

Cloud has just rolled in.  Scope parked.

Not  even bothered looking at the sky.....still crying over mount.

Cloudy here and annoyingly missed out on last night due to the problem with my filter wheel alluded to on my recent post in this forum. 

Quite annoying-should have checked my gear earlier in the day. Ah well, tomorrow and Wednesday look promising. 

43 minutes ago, Kev M said:

Not  even bothered looking at the sky.....still crying over mount.

What's happened to the mount?

5 hours ago, johninderby said:

Was looking clear but solid bank of clouds moving in. Arrgh! 🤬

I had the same here. So decided to clean my C11 Primary mirror and corrector plate as images last night appeared very dim. Now all looks bright again but clouds rolled in. Maybe tomorrow evening will be a little better.....But I notice the moon is creeping up brighter each night.

I've just shut down the obs having captured about 3.5 hours of luminance on NGC7479 tonight, but in all honesty I don't think the sky was ever pristine and certainly not for the last hour or so. In theory of I've got 1.5 hours each RGB and 5-6 hours L on this target, so I'll process those and see what I've got. It's been a challenging month collecting the data for this one with the skies never really playing fair even when seemingly 'clear' and by the time the Moon gets out of the way again, I'll likely be wanting to try a different target.....

Got a few subs before the clouds arrive, left the mount running just in case.

Dave

• Like 1

Having learned from my mistake last night I made sure that the AZ Pro internal battery was fully charged for tonights session.

Mount worked perfectly, gotos were very accurate and I spent a couple of hours outside, finishing up with about an hour on open clusters in Auriga before the clouds rolled in from the west.

Probably for the best as its a school night tonight.

Ade

• Like 2

Forecast for partly cloudy this evening  but seeing not great at the moment.

Quick single frame moon shot.

7E816F25-FBFF-4C4D-8A47-FCAD735C7432.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

The little block of green I had has now turned orange. Looking at the cloud cover forecast it's looking 40%+. Friday is now showing green, but with 73% moon it might only be of use to refine PA and model.

I'm doing some outreach observing again this evening on Clifton Downs, Bristol. The forecast is quite good but currently there is a thin cloud layer partly obscuring things. Hopefully it will be a little better by 7:00 pm when the event starts.

• Like 1

Almost totally clear sky here - just a thin layer of cloud on the horizon and a clear bright moon.  CO shows 4 hours of green for tonight but my imaging rig is not ready and I don't feel much like imaging anyway.  A friend of a friend is dying in hospital and in a lot of pain.

• Sad 2

Early start today.  I have been having problems getting autofocus to work with the new camera, so I used the semi darkness to re-calibrate, and it appears to have been successful.  Only time will tell, but it definitely works some of the time.  With the old camera, I had focussing down to 2m 30s each and every time.  If I can get back to that I shall be very pleased.

Trying the elusive squid at 3x3 to see how that looks.  It wasn't great at 2x2, although it was actually visible - just!

• Like 1

Despite the forecasts it is clear and pretty dark / transparent so I'm taking a punt and set up for 3 hours [OIII] on Mel15 (Well away from the moon) in 10 min subs. I can follow proceedings via RDP from my sitting room. Forecasts also say no chance of rain, so if need be I can leave everything out until morning. My back is just about up to the job, but I'm still taking things easy for the time being.

• Like 2

And we’re off. Keeping it simple - M81 sequence started. Going to try and get a good couple of hours of data. 

lovely clear night and not so much moisture as recently so fingers crossed. Set up a good couple of hours earlier than last time so we’re off to a good start :)  

• Like 3

Not a cloud in the sky all day finished work and looked up to the south and see clouds rolling in now a covering of thin clouds,weather report says it will be mostly clear from midnight till 4,this hobby just don't work in the uk.

• Like 1

Went out to open up the observatory earlier, but there were clear bands of high cloud drifting northwards.  Came in to have dinner and I'm just about to have another look.

James

The new autofocus calibration seems to be working very well indeed.  It is taking 1m 50s to achieve focus, and it seems to be really producing the goods.  For me, this is astonishing.  I used to spend half the night focusing, and I never felt that I had got it right.  So, this is just wonderful.  The CCDCiel documentation is a bit sparse, and I am not great at reading help files, but now that I have done exactly what the instructions said,  it seems to be working like a dream.

I've gone back to bin 2x2 on the Squid.  I would have needed less exposure at 3x3, but the result would not be high enough resolution to be of much use.  I should have been able to work that out beforehand, but I'm not wired that way.

Edited by don4l
  • Like 2

I'm up and running notwithstanding the little rascals who appear to be out joyriding in their helicopter.  Grabbing a bit more data on the Fish Head that I couldn't get the other evening and having another crack at some narrowband data on the Pacman as I wasn't really happy with what I got last time. For some reason it seemed very noisy.

James