Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep3_banner.thumb.jpg.5533fb830ae914798f4dbbdd2c8a5853.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

Alnitak appears to be giving me a ferociously nasty halo with the blue filter.  I'll have to ponder on that one when it comes to processing.

James

Still going but I do have work tomorrow. I just can't justify stopping imaging when the sky is so clear. 

Just had a quick stack of what I've got so far. Turns out I need new flats as the ones I have are over correcting. 

I'll do them tomorrow. 

Some animal is making a huge amount of noise nearby.  No idea what, but it sounds like a 50kg cat with a furball.

James

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Some animal is making a huge amount of noise nearby.  No idea what, but it sounds like a 50kg cat with a furball.

James

See, this is precisely what I'm worried about hearing in my first dark site trip. Yes I know there is nothing in the UK that is dangerous in that respect, but I still don't want to hear it. I think headphones and guns and roses is the key..if I can't hear it, it's not there. 

If we never hear from you again in this forum, we will know why. 😄

16 minutes ago, MKHACHFE said:

if I can't hear it, it's not there.

In the UK this may be a perfectly workable policy :)

You'll be reassured to know however that I am now safely indoors, despite realising once removed most of my layers that I'd left the flap on the observatory open and having to go out again and close it up.

Fantastic night, though.  Plenty of photons collected.  Properly saw Orion and the Beehive Cluster for the first time this winter.  M31 was quite obvious despite being relatively low in the sky and I reckon I caught M33 with averted vision, too.  Saw a couple of meteors heading south-ish through Auriga.  Shame it had to be a Sunday evening.  Making my 9:30am conference call is going to be a struggle.  Still, such sacrifices have to be made.

There are hints of a few hours of clear sky on Monday and Tuesday nights, whilst it's still cold.  After that it looks like we're back into warmer times and more rain :(  Temperatures of 11C forecast for Friday.  11C?!  In December?!

James

• Like 1

Probably the best night I have had for astrophotography imaging. Not a breeze in the air and really good clear skies. Hopefully got some nice data to add to M42 and M45. Good night all.

• Like 1

I have been playing around with the additional data for the cali neb whilst the scope gathers more M42.

Might have overcooked this one a little bit :D

6.5 hours, combination of 180 & 240 second subs.

Very, very, tired now.

Processed.thumb.png.c6ddb4b7252695da4b3f8f2a4c4c29f9.png

• Like 1

I noticed that the sky was clear at one time after midnight but later on was cloudy.  Some cloud about when I got up but now seems clear.  I shall get set up for tonight and see what happens.

• Like 1

I was up three times in the night, for loo and to unfreeze my back. Each time I looked out the sky was sparklingly clear, the darkest and clearest I've seen for a long time. M31 in the west was easy naked eye, even through the double glazing, later M42 was also bright.

OK, it cheered me up a bit, but also frustrated me that I wasn't out imaging

• Like 2

Across my wide field and TEC rigs I bagged 22 hours of data on Friday and Sunday nights on California Nebula, Auriga Region, Gemini, Region Bubble and completed a couple of other datasets with missing colours as well.  However, awoke this morning to find that my TEC/Atik460 sequence had bombed out due to the guider not settling only four subs into the run and me not having auto-recover enabled...doh....  So my entire RGB dataset for Horsehead missing :( and I expected to be greeted to two hours each of RGB! this morning!

How come that when watching the scope, all seems well (as it was for six hours from 18:00 to midnight on The Bubble).  As soon as you trust it to do its thing overnight and go to bed you always seem to have had an issue early on? 🤬

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

How come that when watching the scope, all seems well (as it was for six hours from 18:00 to midnight on The Bubble).  As soon as you trust it to do its thing overnight and go to bed you always seem to have had an issue early on? 🤬

That's 'cos it's quantum innit. Needs an observer in order to exist.

No, I shouldn't joke, this "hobby" is frustrating enough as it is without the equipment playing silly whatsits. At least ASA mounts don't need a guider, though they do come with their own set of "gotchas".

The blue sky is fast disappearing and that green CO was showing for tonight has all but disappeared so it's not looking promising for tonight 😕

19 minutes ago, Gina said:

The blue sky is fast disappearing and that green CO was showing for tonight has all but disappeared so it's not looking promising for tonight 😕

The window also appears to have closed for me this evening (for which my body may actually be quite grateful), though there's a glimmer of hope for tomorrow and Wednesday according to the Met Office.

James

I worked all day Sunday and today have no more I need to do than check a few emails.

I should have swapped batteries and kept going at midnight! I could have done the rosette, and left everything set up to do Mercury today. Still I have three sets of data to play with.

Looking bleak here too.

image.thumb.png.51ec017df3c588762998cf7705195222.png

Edited by DaveS
Wrong CO setting

I'm seriously considering again whether the stress of "will I, won't I" be imaging tonight, is worth the small amount of satisfaction I get from a few hours of data.  The amount of data I've been getting in the last few months is not sufficient to regain my experience in the complicated "job" of image processing. Having had a year or so break I thought I had got my enthusiasm back but at every turn the weather seems to give me "a slap in the face".  I know I have a penchant for doing things that are near impossible but this is getting ridiculous!

• Sad 2

BBC and Met Office now show nighttime cloud for the foreseeable future.  OK so I can set the focus and set up the widefield rig on the mount just in case.  Whether it's worth the effort to finish off my ROR automation and all sky camera, I have doubts.  ATM I have a touch of the dizzy spells back so not doing anything requiring physical effort.

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Gina said:

I'm seriously considering again whether the stress of "will I, won't I" be imaging tonight, is worth the small amount of satisfaction I get from a few hours of data.  The amount of data I've been getting in the last few months is not sufficient to regain my experience in the complicated "job" of image processing. Having had a year or so break I thought I had got my enthusiasm back but at every turn the weather seems to give me "a slap in the face".  I know I have a penchant for doing things that are near impossible but this is getting ridiculous!

The weather this year has been appallingly bad in terms of clear skies, particularly so over the last couple of months.  I think you're far from the only one feeling the frustration :(

James

• Like 2

Imaged up to 3am last night, was planning to do some more tonight, but not clear for these targets for the forseeable, so think I will process what I have albeit not enough.

Carole 

• Like 2

I went out to shut stuff down in the observatory earlier.  I'd left one camera running taking darks when I went to bed.  It was colder inside than it was outside an there was still a fine layer of dew on the OTAs.

James

was planning to do some more tonight, but not clear for these targets for the forseeable, so think I will process what I have albeit not enough.

Hmmm, CO says IT IS going to be clear apart from 10 - 12, complete opposite to my other website I use.

Carole 

Edited by carastro

14 hours ago, don4l said:

Camera warming up now.  I've got work tomorrow.  What a cracking weekend! 

Really pleased for you Donal. Just my luck that after waiting a full month for clear skies it happens on the weekend when I'm away from home, so I couldn't use most of it. I got some subs on Friday night, but it looks as if Saturday and Sunday where the best nights. We've just got back to Norfolk, lovely sunny clear skies all the way, but that is now turning milky, so I'm not sure how good it will be tonight....

C'est la vie, Geof

Friday and Sunday were good here.  Saturday was completely fogged out.

• Like 1

Not total cloud cover ATM.  Pond has remained frozen all day.  Have WF rig on table pointing out of the window at far hill and trees and powered up.  Now to see if I can get focus.