Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

Been out for 2.5 hours in quite a lot of pain so got my son pack up and I've come in took painkillers.

Got a good few objects.

1 hour ago, JamesF said:

The sky has cleared here and I'm out in the observatory capturing more data for the Pacman regardless of the fact that I've already fallen asleep in my chair once this evening :)  The chill should keep me awake now though.  It's almost down to freezing already.

I've not got properly dark adapted yet, but the transparency looks good.  I could even make out the nebula in a two second exposure on the guide cam.

James

Blimey. I shoudl have checked. Did about 2 hours on Pacman, then 2 1/2 on California, time to do 2 hours on Monkey Head and pack up at midnight.

Also had a 1000D with a 50mm lens randomly snapping - it's gone flat now despite being on a twin battery, I think one was a probably nearly flat.  Should have managed 5 hours.

If it wasn't so darn cold it would almost be civilised.

• Like 2

Just below freezing here at the moment, but there's almost no dew whatsoever which makes for a very pleasant change.  It has been quite cold all day though.

James

I've decided to change targets. Gonna grab some luminance to add to the colour data I got last year of Ngc3718. 

Skies are good here too.  Got 20m ea of R,G and B on the Pacman.  I'm not sure what I'll do with the data, other than use the RGB stars.  Also got 50m Ha. I should have enough to make a decent image.

Had a look at ngc 2403 with 20m of Lum, but it is really too small for 500mm FL. 

Now grabbing Blue on IC405/410. 

I should move onto the Rosette shortly.  A moonless weekend with 2 good nights is a rare treat!

• Like 2

I've been revisiting NGC7822 in Ha since my filter error a few days ago. Good clear skies. Will go on until midnight, giving me about 5 hours of subs.

You could always bring your gear over here Carole if the forecast is good, bit more sky available, CO says it's Bortle six.

Dave

Thanks Dave, that is certainly worth a thought,  maybe need to stop over, can you see Orion OK, I have a tree in the way now and can't get much on it at all.

Lets have a think about it and see what it entails. 

Carole

Just come in for a drink and to give my feet a chance to warm up.  I'm going to have to find some better observatory footwear I think.

However, it was handy that I did as my wife had gone to bed and forgotten to take the christmas pudding off the hob where it has been steaming.  Fortunately there was still some water in the pan so hopefully no harm will have been done.

James

• Like 3

Turning in now.

Looked out as I was locking up and the sky was still clear. Gutted to miss a good clear night through my own stupidity.

'night all, hope it all goes well for those still playing.

Very transparent skies tonight near Bristol. Just been observing galaxies in Eridanus. Even at relatively low declanations they are showing up which shows that the sky is unusually clear.

Highlight of the night was picking up two galaxies in Hickson 30.

Mark

• Like 2

Skies are amazing here tonight. And on a plus side, the streetlights overhanging my garden has been turned off. 

• Like 3

Getting some Ha on the Rosette, which has just popped out from behind the neighbours tree.

• Like 3

The Rosette is very bright. A quick 10m uncalibrated sub:-

Rose_H_Alpha_600s_001.jpg

• Like 6

Looks promising.

James

• Thanks 1

6 Hours extra to add to my California Nebula shot (need some new darks though) now moved onto M42.

Been tweaking as I go tonight so not the best quality data but every little helps (i think) My scope isnt really handling meridian flips very well and seems to get as confused by them as I do so some brushing up on the basics is in order.

Lovely frost on the ground though, the lawn feels semi-firm when it freezes which is a pleasant change from the marshland feel its had for the past 8 weeks.

• Like 1

Absolutely beautiful outside, but I'm knackered after a long long week so the 'scope has stayed indoors. Popped out with the Nikon, though, and got a few wide-field shots with the f/4 24mm lens on the Z6.

Wonderful skies here in Cornwall. I've been out imaging the Flaming Star Nebula and later the Horsehead, with a 12" Newt. Incidentally, I also managed some imaging in the early hours of Sunday, after it suddenly cleared around 3am.

I have any early start tomorrow though (or rather later today :) ), so I've just packed up and am about to hit the sack. Good luck, and clear skies, to all those still observing or imaging!

Regards, Mike.

• Like 1

Stunning skies here in Leicestershire. Quite tired after the football today and late VAR drama at the King Power but I'm going to stay up imaging whilst the skies are so good.

Been imaging M45 and now switched over to M42.

• Like 1

Have to agree.  The sky is so steady and transparent.  I can't actually remember the last time it was this good.  Why does it have to be on a Sunday night? :)

I might just have to message the chaps at work to say I'll be late...

James

• Like 1

Camera warming up now.  I've got work tomorrow.  What a cracking weekend! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carastro said:

Thanks Dave, that is certainly worth a thought,  maybe need to stop over, can you see Orion OK, I have a tree in the way now and can't get much on it at all.

Lets have a think about it and see what it entails. 

Carole

Orion is good from rising to well past meridian.

Dave

• Like 2

I just went out into the garden and there were two deer there.  When I flicked on my cyclists head lamp they froze!  I switched it off but they didn't move.  How surreal!

• Like 1

Been out to check on the freezing situ, a bit of frost on the dome but nothing too alarming. Haven't seen it this clear in sooo long, took 5 minutes to appreciate it before I decided it was too cold and went back to the warmth of a scotch and central heating.

No way im wasting this though, should be able to get a few more hours on Orion before I have to call it a night and it gives me a chance to process some other stuff.

17 minutes ago, upahill said:

Been out to check on the freezing situ, a bit of frost on the dome but nothing too alarming. Haven't seen it this clear in sooo long, took 5 minutes to appreciate it before I decided it was too cold and went back to the warmth of a scotch and central heating.

No way im wasting this though, should be able to get a few more hours on Orion before I have to call it a night and it gives me a chance to process some other stuff.

Ihad a look up as I put everything away, and the sky is incredible.  I got the binos out for a quick look at M42.   I really must just have a night at the eyepiece. 

Good night all.

• Like 1

Just come in for another warm-up, but I don't think I'll be out much more than another half hour.

James