Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

Its looks clear here but cannot see too many stars. Imaging wide FOV with the TS65Q looks a bit noisy, maybe high cloud as the C11 imaging looks vary pale, washed out. Not sharp dark as expected.

Getting better than earlier though. Hope the sky clears properly soon.

Waiting for a few clouds to go away or multiply.

Dave

The sky has cleared here and I'm out in the observatory capturing more data for the Pacman regardless of the fact that I've already fallen asleep in my chair once this evening :)  The chill should keep me awake now though.  It's almost down to freezing already.

I've not got properly dark adapted yet, but the transparency looks good.  I could even make out the nebula in a two second exposure on the guide cam.

James

• Like 4

Getting some nice subs in tonight, was a bit touch and go wether it was going to clear but it has.

Ill be racing the fog again though I suspect.

• Like 3

Still a bit misty, but going to give it a go and hope it blows away

• Like 2

I'm not out with the telescope, but we did spend some time outside admiring the starry vista and it was worth just looking at in its entirety, until we froze our bits off and came in!

• Like 2

Just had a look outside.  Just a few stars showing but also quite a lot of cloud.  Very cold!  I'm staying in the warm.

• Like 1

Collecting some photons on my twin imaging set-up I've been setting up over the last week. Tests looking reasonable on M45 as the subs are only 2 -3 mins so can gather & check alignment pretty quickly. I have a spacing issue on the QHY8 Pro, not much but needs sorting.

Steve

• Like 1

Still a bit of passing cloud but I've started imaging, lucky I don't have to guide 😂

Dave

Whilst I know it is the bane of many observers, that crescent moon tonight was fab.  It was just a perfect shape - as a child would draw a moon - hanging in an inky black clear sky in all its glory.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JOC said:

Whilst I know it is the bane of many observers, that crescent moon tonight was fab.  It was just a perfect shape - as a child would draw a moon - hanging in an inky black clear sky in all its glory.

It was looking good and it's disappeared now so best of both worlds 😂

Dave

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just been out with the AZPro and ED100 but found that I neglected to charge the battery after the last session and so the goto's are awful.

Tried my 13.8v bench power supply but no better so I've come inside and into the warm. Shame as it was looking nice out there.

That'll teach me to be sloppy in my routine.

Ade

Clear here tonight (stars are twinkling just a tiny amount, maybe a slight breeze up high, nothing at ground level), went out for an hour with binoculars, couldn't really be much better for that.

• Like 1

Improving nicely now here in east sussex, most of the clouds have rolled away.

Still a bit breezy though and i can't do much about the gatwick approach path, but hey i have sussed PHD guiding at last...........and improved typing in the dark.

2 minutes ago, AdeKing said:

Just been out with the AZPro and ED100 but found that I neglected to charge the battery after the last session and so the goto's are awful.

Tried my 13.8v bench power supply but no better so I've come inside and into the warm. Shame as it was looking nice out there.

Ade

You need one of those Rowan AZ100s Ade 😂

Dave

Was supposed to be clear here. Currently can't see anything for cloud. It's been like this for six months with rare glimpses of clear sky. Worst year ever.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, AdeKing said:

Ade

There's a routine? :blink::happy3:

LP is getting so bad in my area now, you can't see any stars in the SW (at least down to the tree tops, I thought it had clouded over, but look to the SE and there is Orion and Auriga.

Depressing.

Onto 2nd target now as first target now too low.

Carole 

2 minutes ago, jonathan said:

There's a routine? :blink::happy3:

Only as far as charging the battery goes.  Pretty stupid thing to do forgetting to charge it.

Its charging now ready for next time.

I was outside with the rig just now and changing targets, and had to take the dome off onto the PZT (Pod Zenith table) and when I turned the dome round I saw four really bright lights in the back garden 2 doors away, with a young man smoking a vape.  Not sure who he could be,  probably a daughter''s boyfriend as no young men in that house.

So I called over in the dark and asked him if he would kindly turn the lights off when he went in, and he realised what I was doing, and did turn them off thank goodness because they were VERY bright.

Carole 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

You need one of those Rowan AZ100s Ade 😂

Dave

Do you know, I contemplated putting the ED100 onto the Ercole Mini and decided I couldn't be arsed to fail at star hopping and how nice it would be to have an AZ100 fully equipped with DSC's.

The pennies are going into the pot.....slowly.

• Like 1

About 7 hours of clear skies forecast since imaging darkness arrived. It's been clear so far. Got a set of data on NGC7129 in the bag. Just back in from the obs after shifting counterweights and rechecking masked focus. New session rolling on NGC2403.  Lucking out here.

8 minutes ago, carastro said:

LP is getting so bad in my area now, you can't see any stars in the SW (at least down to the tree tops, I thought it had clouded over, but look to the SE and there is Orion and Auriga.

Depressing.

Onto 2nd target now as first target now too low.

Carole 

You could always bring your gear over here Carole if the forecast is good, bit more sky available, CO says it's Bortle six.

Dave

I don't know how much longer I can stand the frustration of having thousands of pounds worth of kit doing nothing and barely a couple of clear nights a month and often those are with a lot of moon.   Fat lot of good Bortle 4 skies are if you can't see them!!

Edited by Gina
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, Gina said:

I don't know how much longer I can stand the frustration of having thousands of pounds worth of kit doing nothing and barely a couple of clear nights a month and often those are with a lot of moon.   Fat lot of good Bortle 4 skies are if you can't see them!!

It is a depressing thought. 

I've just finished 4 hours on m33. Trying to decide if I should just keep going on it for the whole night or change targets.