Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

OTOH if I keep to the 105mm lens I can get a FOV I haven't used before (about 10° x 7°).  This seems a better option.  Flame Nebula, Horse's Head region and Orion Nebula plus M78 nicely covered.

447171285_Screenshotfrom2019-09-1309-05-59.png.875e64faba37d829d3c797b2b280ec65.png

Edited by Gina
  • Like 1

Hoping to add some more Ha detail to this:-

IC1805_Section_APP_ABE.thumb.png.c4e6d43485e58cac259c5720642fb09b.png

Hopefully when monsieur Blobby backs off I'll try to add some RGB

Steve 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Gina said:

OTOH if I keep to the 105mm lens I can get a FOV I haven't used before (about 10° x 7°).  This seems a better option.  Flame Nebula, Horse's Head region and Orion Nebula plus M78 nicely covered.

I think you have that framed well. Especially for Ha. It would be interesting to see how that turns out if you decided to chose.

• Thanks 1

I'm setting up tonight. Will be my first session in months. I'm hoping everything works ok. I've done a stack of windows updates on my laptop, but everything still seems to work. I think I'll go for the Heart.

• Like 2

Not a cloud in the sky here at the moment, whipped the cover off the scope and letting it get some air, so lucky to have a pier now, my biggest hassle is folding the cover when it comes to setting up. Hopefully it stays clear. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Andyb90 said:

I'm setting up tonight. Will be my first session in months. I'm hoping everything works ok. I've done a stack of windows updates on my laptop, but everything still seems to work. I think I'll go for the Heart.

Good choice!  I've a few subs to stack from last night, hopefully they are worth something. 

I shall be setting up for tonight too.

Me too, in all likelihood.  Not entirely sure what I'm going to do though, given the presence of the Moon.  I do actually want to test out some lunar imaging stuff so that should be ok as long as I can actually see the Moon over the house.

Other than that I guess we're targeting objects fairly close to the NCP or staying up late until the Moon is well to the West?

James

A very long night is a possibility with Orion rising in the east around 3am.  But...

I'm not that much of a night owl unfortunately, something of a failing in an astronomer, so I'll probably want to get started by 11 o/c and run maybe 3 hours worth on Mel 15 in HII, turn in just after 2.

• Like 1

I shall have to find out how the Scheduler works in KStars/Ekos.  This would seem to do everything I want, particularly when I get the ROR remote control done as Scheduler has a section for opening and closing the dome (or roof in my case).  I could leave everything set up and it should automatically start at the designated time, open the roof, slew to the object, plate solve, run an imaging sequence then close everything down at the end.  All this while I sleep.

Edited by Gina

I now have everything set up ready to go except that the roof is only half open.

I need to decide later whether to do some imaging as soon as it gets dark or to close the roof and have an early night but get up again in the early hours.  Only problem with that is waking up!  Should have an alarm clock somewhere...  OTOH I'm not sure I fancy that.

Edited by Gina

I'm excited to setup, but nervous at the same time.  Although since getting a laptop with 4 dedicated usb ports I don't seem to have so many connectivity issues.

• Like 1

Looking ok-ish here at the moment in Derby but some high level cloud floating about. I may pop our for a bit and have another go at the moon with my DIY webcam.

27 minutes ago, Gina said:

I shall have to find out how the Scheduler works in KStars/Ekos.  This would seem to do everything I want, particularly when I get the ROR remote control done as Scheduler has a section for opening and closing the dome (or roof in my case).  I could leave everything set up and it should automatically start at the designated time, open the roof, slew to the object, plate solve, run an imaging sequence then close everything down at the end.  All this while I sleep.

When you configure the scheduler and add it to the list on the right, be sure to press the play/start button so it's ready to start. Also, if you use PHD2 to guide, keep an eye on it that it initiates guiding when it's supposed to. On the couple of times I've tried the scheduler, it wont initiate PHD but will start its internal (sub par) guider. I'm using a RPi4.

• Thanks 1

Hoping for another go at the Pelican in Ha. Got to fight the moon and neighbours lights - but got to try 🙂

Imaging around 9pm may be possible away from the moon so constellations such as Orion, Cepheus and Cassiopeia should be possible.  I looked through my book of targets and though I'd like to try the Heart and Soul Nebulae which I haven't imaged for several years. BUT this is the view.  Obscured by a tree!.  Looks like I need to do some pruning...  Image is out of focus because the tree is nearby.  This shows where the imaging rig would be pointing just after 9pm.

0-test_Light_H_Alpha_0.000_secs_2019-09-13T18-29-18_001.png.4cedcc1a73b2d2edf4090c1675252413.png

Looks as though it could be quite dewy here tonight.  The temperature has been quite warm today (currently about 16C) so there'll presumably be plenty of moisture in the air, and the forecast says it's going to slowly slide down to about 8C at dawn.

James

Not much dew yet.

Been looking at tree pruning but the part that's in the way is high up out of reach and to get it down without climbing up would mean cutting through a 2" diameter branch.

I'm all set up and ready to go. Just waiting for darkness. Also need to decide on a target for tonight. 

The Heart and Soul rise above the branches of the tree around 1am so may try that target later in the night.  An alternative would be to stop testing and go for a proper imaging run on one of the Cygnus targets.  Really depends on how good the sky is.  KStars says the moon is well out of the way but the sky can't be as dark as when the moon isn't up.  I was going to wait until the moon is out of the way for a serious imaging run.

Just been out to put the chickens to bed and saw the Moon rising through the trees.  I have to admit that despite the problems it causes for imaging DSOs, I love seeing it when it rises with that amazing apricot colour.

James

• Like 1

Same here.  On both counts.  Can see it through the trees from my living room east window and love the colour.

Edited by Gina

Stars are showing in the sky so time to open my roof all the way.