Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

11 hours ago, don4l said:

I would usually set up in these conditions, but my back has been giving me some warning signals today.  If the sky gets any better, I will probably have a go.

I hope your celebrations go well tomorrow (or were they today?).

15 hours ago, DaveS said:

Bother. Bother, bother, bother.

OK, the cold's taken itself off, BUT. I was a bit incautious this morning grabbing a large bottle of screen wash to clean a thick layer of builder's dust off the car before I could go to Morrisons. Stuffed my back, not just to square one, but to square -5 or so. Almost sick from the pain. When the postie came I couldn't move to answer the door. Fortunately the door was open so he could come in.

Worried that I may have to see the quack.

Take care Donal, heed my example. Backs are cantankerous things and can play up at the slightest excuse.

1 minute ago, DaveS said:

Take care Donal, heed my example. Backs are cantankerous things and can play up at the slightest excuse.

Usually when my wife as me to do a "heavy" job I don't fancy 😉.

Regards Andrew 

• Haha 1

Looking clear tonight.

Kindly, Steve of FL Optics is sending me a new heater strap and hitec astro controller. Very good of him, great customer service.

In the meantime i ordered a Coowoo USB heater strap which arrived last night as I'm eager to put the imaging session of Friday night behind me. I'm actually quite impressed with it, it's got three heat settings, it'll do for tonight and as a main scope backup heater strap.

It's amazing how something like just a heater strap can effectively ruin an imaging session. For me it was, once I started auto-guiding it's just not the same without it.

I think I'll order two of everything now just incase there's a clear night where something decides to pack in working.

• Like 2

We've had "clear spells" here the past souple of nights, but still very damp and hazy. 

I'm really hoping tonight's forecast holds and we get a decent night's imaging done

• Like 1

I was up at around 6 to go (Stagger rather, with stick) to the loo. Looked out of my bedroom window when I got back, and the sky was brilliant with stars. My windows look slightly north of west, and I could see Orion setting, with Auriga still quite high. No, I wasn't going out, but it did cheer me up considerably.

My back is, touch wood, if not better, then slightly less bad. Moved up to square one I should say (Where it was when I trapped a nerve just before IAS). Will I be able to "play" tonight? Don't know but I will work on getting it better.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DaveS said:

Thanks.  I've learned that the hard way.

I haven't had a big problem for about 15 years.  I usually get plenty of warning signs, but at the moment it seems to be going straight from no pain at all to that sudden - very sharp - "I can't move at all" pain.

I think that I should be able to set up tonight if it is clear.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaveS said:

I was up at around 6 to go (Stagger rather, with stick) to the loo. Looked out of my bedroom window when I got back, and the sky was brilliant with stars. My windows look slightly north of west, and I could see Orion setting, with Auriga still quite high. No, I wasn't going out, but it did cheer me up considerably.

I was up at six to try and get a shot of Mercury but had a big cloud bank on the horizon so went back to bed.

Hope the back improves Dave, did mine in years ago and spent a week lying on a board so try to remember to be sensible now.

Dave

• Thanks 1

Thanks Dave. this looks to be a trapped nerve, so getting muscle spasms around the lower back and down the leg, mostly on the right hand side. I'm finding that I need to balance rest and gentle movement to keep things from seizing up.

Donal, yes, I know that "I can't move at all" pain only too well.

Since the last 2 nights have been ripe with error and mistakes, in hoping tonight will go smoothly and I'll manage to capture some decent data

Am imaging again, but not sure how clear the skies are going to be tonight.

Carole 

• Like 1

Looked out at 5, and there was heavy cloud.   Looked out at 6, and it had cleared completely.

Imaging at present, but having problems with the autoguider.  PHD keeps losing contact with it.  I might try changing the USB cable.

• Like 1

Regretfully I won't be playing. My back is getting better, but still not to a level at which I could risk going out to open up the telescope. Not even sure I could do any visual, perhaps mk1 eyeball but no more. 

But in any case, I have total cloud, even though CO says 4%. Ventusky says clear by 9 o/c but there's a huge lump of clout to the north which has to clear first. Think it will be a write off. Will try to be fit for Monday as after that too cloudy and too much moon.

Totally fed up :( 

• Sad 2

just did 12x300s Ha and same count Oiii on M27 before the clouds roll in.

I'm gonna save up on this target over the winter since its high up in the early evening so can't do a lot at a time.

Did some visual too with my light setup, saw ISS pass over twice and a nice meteor trail in the south.

Ventusky says that I currently have thin cloud.

It must be very thin indeed!

• Like 1

Solid cloud here.  Don't feel like it tonight anyway.  CO says clear again tomorrow night but we'll see.

My clear sky forecast is doing  that "getting later and later" thing.  For once I don't mind.  I still have stuff to tidy up from today's activities.

James

Its clear here in Essex, but guiding is really struggling with the windy conditions here. Subs are looking okish though.

At long last.  Clear, haze free, steady air.  Target centred, sharp focus obtained.  Then cloud.  And more cloud.  I give up.  I really do...

• Sad 3

3 minutes ago, Kaliska said:

Its clear here in Essex, but guiding is really struggling with the windy conditions here. Subs are looking okish though.

Hi Yes I'm out as well. , , I was going to ask about subs , and you mentioned yours are OK ish .. mines the same .. 

9 minutes ago, Hallingskies said:

At long last.  Clear, haze free, steady air.  Target centred, sharp focus obtained.  Then cloud.  And more cloud.  I give up.  I really do...

Cloud is breaking up.  Am now indoors in front of a nice warm fire in a comfortable chair reading Sherlock Holmes stories. And I intend to stay here...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Brian28 said:

Hi Yes I'm out as well. , , I was going to ask about subs , and you mentioned yours are OK ish .. mines the same .. 

Me and my big mouth, the clouds have turned up :BangHead:

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Kaliska said:

Me and my big mouth, the clouds have turned up :BangHead:

It supposed to be clear later about 11 .    👍

• Like 1

Looks like Ventusky was right after all. I just went out to see if I could move the car for the roofers (I didn't want to risk it) and the sky had cleared. Not going out though, still feel too wobbly.