Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep3_banner.thumb.jpg.5533fb830ae914798f4dbbdd2c8a5853.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

Clear night and reasonably warm (14/15ºc). Simple session with the Vixen and a new TS-AZ5 observing stars, clusters, doubles etc from Auriga over to Taurus and down to Orion. For the last couple of nights I've also paid a little attention to an area of sky which houses a reflection nebula called VdB 65 in Auriga. I've made sure not to see any references to it online until I made a sketch on each night to really make sure I was seeing something. If anyone else has observed this nebula, please let me know. I've just had a look online but cannot find any visual reference to it. Tomorrow will hopefully be another clear night, so I'll go back out and make another sketch to confirm that my eyes really are not fooling me.   

• Like 4

I've pushed as far as I could (probably too far) with imaging NGC7479 - it was way down in the murk close to a mere 20 deg alt, when I shut down the obs. The sky overhead looked pretty clear, but it was misleading, as anything below about 40 degrees looks pretty foggy with only the main asterism stars and sword handle of Orion visible.....

Still plodding on here, just about to do a meridian flip, don't usually image much past the meridian as it's heading for the S London LP.

Dave

• Like 1

reflection nebula called VdB 65 in Auriga. I've made sure not to see any references to it online until I made a sketch on each night to really make sure I was seeing something. If anyone else has observed this nebula, please let me know. I've just had a look online but cannot find any visual reference to it.

I found this on line, is this it? 

spacer.png

Edited by carastro
  • Thanks 1

Well I'm home from work and its clear😁

Scope out for a few hours now.

I will probably stay out as long as poss. 

😁😁😁😁😁

• Like 2

Thanks for the link, @carastro:thumbright:

I've found this image over at Cloudy Nights and within reason, it ties in with the two sketches I've made. Visually speaking I saw nothing like the image but the nebula around the brighter stars was visible in my small 4".

1 minute ago, djpaul said:

Well I'm home from work and its clear😁

Scope out for a few hours now.

I will probably stay out as long as poss. 

😁😁😁😁😁

Planning to stay out until dawn to try and catch Mars and Mercury, could be last chance for Mercury.

Dave

• Like 1

Packed it in. Clear, but poor seeing. M42 was just a blur for me and can barey make out the Trapezium. Bit nippy out too! Stay safe out there!

Looks like the nebula on the right of the image I found

Carole 

Well by the time my scope has cooled enough orion should be perfect south and at a good height to view. 

• Like 1

Right, off to have a Soap catch up while the imaging is chugging away.

Carole 

First visual on Cocoon and the Horse Head!!! 20" dob in the Cairngorms, used my WO binoviewer 20mm ep with astronomic Hb, got Cocoon barely, found the HH easier, lol, then switched to Morpheus 17.5 with Hb, quite obvious but not very detailed. Swapped Hb for UHC, HH directly visible with that one as well, though averted equally pleasing. Just to check I wasn't imagining it, I popped Nikon DSLR on adapter and did a 10"sec exposure at ISO 10000, no filter. The HH is right there on the photo plain as day....so took pic of M42, wow! My first DSO images too. Not a half bad night! Bet it's-5 to -10 here, pretty brutal at times on the digits. Still, not complaining!!!

• Like 8

It's been over a month since last time I had a clear night to observe 

Just my small scope out as it's late. 

Easier to pack away later. 

So I'm using my little zenith star 73mm

5 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Planning to stay out until dawn to try and catch Mars and Mercury, could be last chance for Mercury.

Dave

I'm tempted to stay out that long. But if I do I will have to get my dew heater out. 

1 minute ago, Ships and Stars said:

First visual on Cocoon and the Horse Head!!! 20" dob in the Cairngorms, used my WO binoviewer 20mm ep with astronomic Hb, got Cocoon barely, found the HH easier, lol, then switched to Morpheus 17.5 with Hb, quite obvious but not very detailed. Swapped Hb for UHC, HH directly visible with that one as well, though averted equally pleasing. Just to check I wasn't imagining it, I popped Nikon DSLR on adapter and did a 10"sec exposure at ISO 10000, no filter. The HH is right there on the photo plain as day....so took pic of M42, wow! My first DSO images too. Not a half bad night! Bet it's-5 to -10 here, pretty brutal at times on the digits. Still, not complaining!!!

Great going there.  Appeture and dark skies are wondrous things.  Took me ages to just about bag the HH, but that was under bortle 3 and with an 8 inch dob.

Brutally cold down in the Southern Uplands too.

Richard 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, djpaul said:

I'm tempted to stay out that long. But if I do I will have to get my dew heater out. 

Already had to get the hair dryer out :D

Dave

Not sure my hairdryer is going to get rid of THE HEAVY FOG THAT’S JUST DECIDED TO COME IN!!!!

Just got my workflow with my skytee2 worked out, using my baader zeiss prism diagonal for the first time, the fog allowed me about 15 minutes. Grrrrr. Lovely sweet stars too with my lzos 105.

M

• Like 1

Been imaging since 8pm. Canon 6D on my WO GT71 at 336mm giving me 6° x 4° and 4" per pixel! Just right to fit both Heart and Soul in the fov. Also first light with a tri-band filter, the IDAS NB1. 300s subs at ISO1600 are looking good. Had about 3 hours of data by midnight however I didn't pay enough attention to the focus routine post flip. Will need to ditch the last 45 minutes worth because I have tiny donuts! Will have to stay up later to make up for the loss!

490197340_Screenshot_20191130-002046_VNCViewer.thumb.jpg.3eabbef2c35b3f3f50b0d89a99489be7.jpg

• Like 6

Had to pack it in now as California Nebula is disappearing into the light pollution.

Dave

• Sad 1

That's me done for the night ( Not that I actually did anything ) but glad I got some photons in the bank. Had to switch from Cal Neb to M42 and then a meridian flip didnt go as smoothly as it should so lost a few subs after that but overall a rather good night. The mist has rolled up now so the stars are mostly gone.

• Like 2

What a glorious clear dark night it has been ....and a weekend to boot. :)

Got plenty of subs on Abell 262 now. And M1 has just passed the meridian so now onto NGC 3187/3190 at f/10. Test 300s sub to see if the camera can cope. Here's a quick single 300s sub debayered and stretched.

Framings not great as I want to keep camera angle fixed as I may go back to M1 later.

image.png.0aba83d1f8ebb6e6e440f8883f35f17a.png

• Like 1

Gone for the 600s ( 10 minute) sub. Looks better to my eyes :)

image.png.a9c0e6c2aa061fb3bf914b0076c73e74.png

• Like 5

Just finished up. Ended up with just under 4 hours worth of 300s subs. Ditched the donut stars and a few of the last subs as it's gone foggy here. Good night all!

• Like 1

What a damp, cold night, altitude runners on dob kept freezing up and sticking, then throwing the GOTO alignment out a wee bit, but amazing seeing and ended the night (morning!) on a high. 

First view of Horse Head, also first positive ID on the Cocoon and Wizard. Also saw Little Dumbbell, M42, M43, M57, Pac Man, Western Veil Nebula, maybes include: IC 405 Flaming Star, Bubble Neb, Elephant's Trunk, also galaxies M31, M32, M33, M110, NGC 869 the Double Cluster and Pleiades.  finally North America Neb through the 12x70 Cometrons.

First DSO pics of The Horse Head, Nikon D810, single 20 sec exposure, ISO 6400, no filter and M42, single 8 sec exposure, no filter, ISO 6400 on 500p GOTO (alt az, no EQ mount). Quick edit in Lightroom. 

Time to sleep for two days, if only...

DSC_8688_filtered.jpg

DSC_8692.jpg

• Like 8

I woke up this morning to a very hard frost and a brilliant, sunny, blue sky, with no hint of the fog that was forecast and appeared to be forming around midnight when I packed up the observatory. Either the fog never fully developed, or it has already cleared, so I'm now wondering just how clear the night skies were after midnight..... Anyway, the good news is that I won't have to drive through fog all the way down to Surrey this morning.....

• Like 3