Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

Well,, I'm turning in. Don't expect to feel much better in the morning as this cold's only just got started.

'night all.

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, carastro said:

Have you got the correct spacing?

Carole 

I've got no spacing, just the Z73 and the Field Flattener.

Most field flatteners have a correct spacing from sensor needs to lens of the spacer for it to correctly flatten the field.  Every space has it's own specific measurement and you would need to check that either on the web or from the supplier.  Also flatteners are specific to certain scopes, so I hope you have the right one.

In order to increase the space between sensor and flattener you use spacing rings which all come in various sizes and threads and are a right PITA.  If you change your scope you'd likley need a different one with different spacing.

Took me 5 years to get my spacing right on one of my scopes. 

Carole  

Edited by carastro
  • Like 1

Well thats the first time I think I ever had 70 good subs in a run, and still going strong.

Unfortunately im not being very active, dads taxi means the better part of 4 hours on thr road this evening, but just came back from the drop off and the scope was merily finishing its first run and the sky is the clearest I have seen it in a long long time.

Suprising though since for the past hour I have been driving through thick, nasty fog everywhere. I guess my elevation here is just about right to poke through the top of it :)

-2 out there according to the car but the heater straps seem to be doing their thing.

If this holds out for another 4 hours I shall be very happy.

• Like 2

I’ve found it really clear tonight but very dewy everything misting up 😥😥 and to make matters worse my auto focuser has seized up!! 2nd one in 12 months, not bothering with them anymore, back to traditional methods. Lovely clear skies but Demons have been conspiring against me!!

Got out the scope for a while myself tonight, nice clear sky with only a touch of haze ( plus lots of light pollution from both of the local docks ), only to be totally ruined by my next door but one  neighbours new flood lights ( left on for 4 hours so far ) this plus a chest infection that will not clear up ( had it for 3 weeks so far ) has made me call it quits for tonight 😒.

At least I now know that my DIY push to conversion works 😀.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, smr said:

Clear skies galore here but I'm having a torrid evening of it.

Dew strap almost set itself alight earlier so that was guiding out of the equation. Added to that I'm just annoyed now with shooting without a modified DSLR, or even better a proper astronomy camera and all the DSO's I want to image are emission nebulae. 

I really feel like not bothering anymore until getting myself a proper dedicated astro camera.

Was shooting 30 second subs on M45 but I've got really bad field curvature despite using a field flattener. Not sure what the problem is there, maybe my refractor needs collimating ?

Added to that I don't know how to even connect my dew heaters to something that will work and is safe to use.

Just slewed to M42 and just smudgey stars. Blah. Awful night, crystal clear skies as well. 😐

Makes Landscape Photography an absolute breeze this hobby does.

I suspect that we have all had evenings like that.

I spent 10 nights imaging M16 with a Canon EOS350.  The feeling when I added in the tenth night was very depressing.  It made no difference at all.  I ordered my astro camera then.

The first 20 minutes of data with my new astro camera completely outshone the 10 nights with the Canon.  Of course, it then got cloudy, and I never finished the image.

Not great here i seem to be circled by low mist above looks clear but star count down in sgp and my mean count high PhD guiding keeps dinging so think my ha subs with be rubbish.

9 minutes ago, carastro said:

Most field flatteners have a correct spacing from sensor needs to lens of the spacer for it to correctly flatten the field.  Every space has it's own specific measurement and you would need to check that either on the web or from the supplier.  Also flatteners are specific to certain scopes, so I hope you have the right one.

In order to increase the space between sensor and flattener you use spacing rings which all come in various sizes and threads and are a right PITA.  If you change your scope you'd likley need a different one with different spacing.

Took me 5 years to get my spacing right on one of my scopes. 

Carole  

Thank you. 

Yes I definitely have the right flattener as it's the Flat 73 Flattener.

I think I need to get some spacers and get the correct spacing then. 

What spacers do I need and where can I buy them from ? 

I've found this image but I don't understand it... 

WO Z73 / Flat 73 - Image Plane Spacing

Yes that's the correct term, I forgot it = back focus.  To be honest neither do I understand it.  You might find it easier to look up your flattener back focus and ignore this chart.  Or some-one more techie than me might be able to help.

Carole 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, don4l said:

I suspect that we have all had evenings like that.

I spent 10 nights imaging M16 with a Canon EOS350.  The feeling when I added in the tenth night was very depressing.  It made no difference at all.  I ordered my astro camera then.

The first 20 minutes of data with my new astro camera completely outshone the 10 nights with the Canon.  Of course, it then got cloudy, and I never finished the image.

Yeah. I have had a good time imaging some targets ... the easy (easier) ones ... M42, M31, The Eastern Veil I was quite surprised at the image I could get of that, (although I couldn't see any difference between 10 and 16 hours of integration... )and a few others. 

But I look at Stellarium and there are so many targets I just won't bother imaging which I really want to, as I've tried before and it's just a waste of time really... like the Heart and Soul Nebula etc.

Really do need a dedicated astro camera, I'm just going to have to save up for one and put the effort in towards that. 

Good luck to anyone out there tonight and goodnight.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, carastro said:

Yes that's the correct term, I forgot it = back focus.  To be honest neither do I understand it.  You might find it easier to look up your flattener back focus and ignore this chart.  Or some-one more techie than me might be able to help.

Carole 

I might take a trip to RVO, maybe they'd be able to help if I took my scope with me?

• Like 1

Really do need a dedicated astro camera, I'm just going to have to save up for one and put the effort in towards that. 

I started with a DSLR, but after a couple of years changed to a Mono CCD camera, and never looked back.

Carole 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kusanagi said:

plus a chest infection that will not clear up ( had it for 3 weeks so far ) has made me call it quits for tonight 😒.

It may or may not make you feel better to know that I am only just starting to see the end of eleven weeks worth of (possibly more than one) cold virus :(

James

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, smr said:

Yeah. I have had a good time imaging some targets ... the easy (easier) ones ... M42, M31, The Eastern Veil I was quite surprised at the image I could get of that, (although I couldn't see any difference between 10 and 16 hours of integration... )and a few others. 

But I look at Stellarium and there are so many targets I just won't bother imaging which I really want to, as I've tried before and it's just a waste of time really... like the Heart and Soul Nebula etc.

That chart says that the distance from the back of the Flat6 to the image plane (CCD chip) needs to be 70.5mm.  The first question is : Is the Flat6 the same as the Flat 73?

I might take a trip to RVO, maybe they'd be able to help if I took my scope with me?

I always find RVO very helpful, but I went to Modern Astronomy as he is driving distance from me, with camera and Flattener/Reducer and specific measurements and asked him to sell me something to fit and the right size.  

You need to measure the spacing ideally with a caliper to get it exactly right.

Carole 

1 minute ago, carastro said:

I started with a DSLR, but after a couple of years changed to a Mono CCD camera, and never looked back.

Carole 

Glad you're happy with it. I am wondering whether to go for an OSC or a Mono camera, the sensible option I feel is getting a Mono but I've spent months weighing up whether to get an OSC or Mono and am still undecided. I suppose that's a debate for another thread though.

12 hours ago, Ships and Stars said:

Proper clear skies at last! Going for visual on the Cocoon, Wizard and Horse Head tonight at my 21.94 Bortle 2 spot. Lows around -5 or -6C. Will get to test out my 12v hair dryer dew prevention apparatus...

Hope you're keeping warm up there!

I had to retreat inside just now.  Its -7C here and despite thermals etc was just too cold after being out for 3 hours.

20191129_232938.thumb.jpg.e9fdef991c0edc416c047729c1bb0e42.jpg

Defrosting the dob and warming up with a nice cuppa.

Clear skies,

Richard

Edited by BiggarDigger
Add photo
  • Like 1

I am wondering whether to go for an OSC or a Mono camera, the sensible option I feel is getting a Mono but I've spent months weighing up whether to get an OSC or Mono and am still undecided. 

Mono is more expensive because of the filterwheel and filters and takes a little bit of time to learn how to combine all the filters, but it is far more sensitive and versatile.

Carole 

45 minutes ago, carastro said:

OH no!  So who is going to stop and close down the imaging rig that is still in operation?

Carole 

I'm visual only probably a good thing my lads have brought my kit in luckily my eldest has been out with me before so knows how to do it.

• Like 1

Hope you feel better soon.  When I fractured my knee 3 years ago I had all my imaging kit sitting in the observatory mid winter.  I had to get a combination of a non imaging astro friend to dismantle my cameras and scopes and another friend to bring in all the cables which I sorted from my bed into appropriate bags.  Just didn't want to leave all that lot outside unattended for the next 2 - 3 months.  Hubby switched the dehumidifier on and off for me for the duration.  Couldn't have asked him to help as he's more artistic than techie. 

Carole 

Edited by carastro

13 minutes ago, smr said:

Thank you. 

Yes I definitely have the right flattener as it's the Flat 73 Flattener.

I think I need to get some spacers and get the correct spacing then. 

What spacers do I need and where can I buy them from ? 

I've found this image but I don't understand it... 

WO Z73 / Flat 73 - Image Plane Spacing

A quick search suggests that the backfocus distance for the Flat73 is 55mm.  That is the distance from the start of the thread on the flattener to the final position of the camera sensor.  The Canon EF mount has a flange (the ring that the lens fits on) to sensor distance of 44mm, leaving you 11mm to make up.  It looks as though the 48mm to EF converter that WO perhaps misleadingly call a T-ring adaptor should take up that additional 11mm leaving you not needing any further spacers.

In fact in the diagram above it suggests that the Canon adaptor is 10.7mm, the flange-to-sensor distance is 44.1mm and the required backfocus distance is 54.8mm, so perhaps the diagram is more accurate, but as they add up correctly you should still not need any spacers.

Perhaps it's worth starting a new thread in one of the imaging sections showing what kit you have set up and posting a sub so that people can have a look and try to work out what's causing your problem.

James