Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

Clear here but awful seeing. Gradually improving and the temperature is dropping like a stone. It hasn't been above freezing today and is currently -3.5.  Tonight's target is the Tadpoles with a cheeky Spider and Fly neb just about in the frame.

• Like 2

Mostly clear here with occasional cloud. Nicely cooled Tal125r out. Power tank charged, just waiting for Orion to clear the tree in my neigbours garden. Air was pretty "wet" earlier, so wasn't much good for higher magntifications. Hoping it'll improve as the night progresses.

Seeing and clarity not brilliant though the former is settling down, guiding now 0.7 rms down from 1.2!  Have grabbed some Olll on the Pac-Man and have now moved over to the Wizard.  Sorted my network issues out and can now sit indoors and keep an eye out while the kit does its stuff (touch wood!!!)...

Just waiting for my target (in Cygnus) to disappear behind the trees and then I'll swap to target 2.  Planning to repeat both targets on Monday.

Carole 

• Like 2

Only just started imaging, slewed the infallible 10Micron to the California nebula and it wasn't there, slewed to Capella and it was there :icon_scratch:
slewed back to CN no sign, slewed around a bit then looked down the scope to see misted up optics, removed camera got hair dryer and blasted it refitted camera and spent ages getting it framed , finally started imaging, probably cloud over now.

Dave

• Haha 1

I've been imaging since about 6pm. I'd switched scopes from SCT to 71mm WO and focussed on NGC7822 to image in Ha. Set it capturing and went in for dinner. 👍Checked 40 mins later - everything OK though stars looked a bit bloated🤨 (must be slightly misty as forecast). Watched a bit of TV. Checked again. Sky looks clear but images still a bit brighter than expected for Ha. 🤔Carry on...

Another check at 8:30pm... Rats! Had left filter wheel on luminance filter! Agh!!😧 3 hours of good sky wasted!

Just started again with Ha filter...

• Sad 3

Yeah, been there, done that. Only it was taking three hours of Ha on Markarian's Chain, when I thought I was getting three hours Luminance, and there ain't much Ha in Markarian's Chain. Turned out I had the filters in wrong order in the wheel. Dur....

• Sad 2

Clear but a bit misty here. Not much good for DSO (very light polluted too) or planets, so have been doing VS estimates.

Looks like pretty much everybody's out playing except us in the SouthWest.

However low the light pollution, it's no good with solid cloud!!  :clouds1:

1 hour ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

I only wish I could be there, all of you enjoy yourselves.

Well the Sky was clear of clouds- not so much the ground 🤦‍♂️😂 Still was nice to be out at long last and I think I found the Garnet star which looked quite red through a UHC but yellow without 🤔

3327AFF1-FBB7-471A-86D3-D004DE6B6934.jpeg

• Like 1

I just checked Betelgeuse and Rigel in Orion at 21.00UTC.  Betelgeuse looks slightly pinkish to me and Rigel was certainly blueish. Certainly nice to behold!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

I only wish I could be there, all of you enjoy yourselves.

Well the Sky was clear of clouds- not so much the ground 🤦‍♂️😂 Still was nice to be out at long last and I think I found the Garnet star which looked quite red through a UHC but yellow without 🤔

oops how did that happen 🤦‍♂️

Edited by markse68
  • Like 1

Still clear here.  The transparency isn't brilliant, but it is a lot better than it has been for the last couple of weeks - so mustn't grumble.  Bagged 70m OIII on the Pacman, 25m L on M33, and I've got 50m OIII on the Tadpoles so far.  The OIII data is looking quite good, so that's a bonus.  Orion is beginning to come out from behind the neighbour's oak tree, so I might have a look at that later.

The forecast for tomorrow is cloudy, but Sunday and Monday look set to be clear.  It would be nice to finish an image or two.

• Like 1

It's showery and mostly cloudy here in mid Cornwall, just as forecast. Also looks very wet tomorrow.

I have my fingers crossed for Sunday night, though, which is expected to be clear! I have an early start on Monday, but will see what I can do.

Good luck, all!

Regards, Mike.

Well after a great 3.5 hrs then waiting for Orion clear the houses at the back of me.

Stepped out the back door wife had cleaned kitchen floor you can guess what happened next yes I slipped come down hard on my lower back on the step.

I've been on the floor for the last hour in agony couldn't move thought I was going have phone for a ambulance.

with the help of my sons who have shot over to me I'm finally on the couch with frozen veg behind me.

• Sad 6

OH no!  So who is going to stop and close down the imaging rig that is still in operation?

Carole 

4 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

I'm finally on the couch with frozen veg behind me.

That sounds very unpleasant - I hope you make a good and quick recovery.👍

• Like 1

Clear skies galore here but I'm having a torrid evening of it.

Dew strap almost set itself alight earlier so that was guiding out of the equation. Added to that I'm just annoyed now with shooting without a modified DSLR, or even better a proper astronomy camera and all the DSO's I want to image are emission nebulae. 

I really feel like not bothering anymore until getting myself a proper dedicated astro camera.

Was shooting 30 second subs on M45 but I've got really bad field curvature despite using a field flattener. Not sure what the problem is there, maybe my refractor needs collimating ?

Added to that I don't know how to even connect my dew heaters to something that will work and is safe to use.

Just slewed to M42 and just smudgey stars. Blah. Awful night, crystal clear skies as well. 😐

Makes Landscape Photography an absolute breeze this hobby does.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Multitasking here in the midlands. My telescope is freezing outside so sat next to my toaster of a pc having a quiet game!

374FADF6-91C0-4975-9581-64F337DCC8E9.jpeg

Was shooting 30 second subs on M45 but I've got really bad field curvature despite using a field flattener. Not sure what the problem is there, maybe my refractor needs collimating ?

Have you got the correct spacing?

Carole