Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

16 minutes ago, Kev M said:

According to ClearOutside I have got a clear night tonight.....first one since god knows when.....

Praying the Fog keeps away.....🙏

Same here! It's a 90 min drive to my top 'local' dark sky site. Forecast looks great, let's see...

Looking good outside here, just opened the dome and waiting for california neb to rise above house.

I should be out there fixing some wiring in the background but its a bit nippy so will get the thermals on later and do it I think.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, upahill said:

waiting for california neb to rise above house.

Snap :grin:

Dave

• Like 2

Taking the big frac out to our EMS darksite shortly. It won't be a late night though, i'm up at 05:30 next day for work.

I'm hoping to bag that pesky comet : Panstarrs. Its close to Auriga tonight : mag 10.2

Solid cloud here, at least CO has got that right. TBH I may not bother with this brewing cold, I want to be able to image when the real clear sky turns up, supposedly on Sunday / Monday.

Typical. Beautiful clear night and I’m still feeling rancid so no playing for me :(  

I am slightly tempted but it’d do more harm than good. 

• Sad 1

Just checked outside and could only see one star. The forecast partly cloudy seems to be mostly cloudy. 🤬

Edited by johninderby

Wall-to-wall cloud here.  In one sense I'm glad it's not clear.  I've already fallen asleep in my chair twice this evening.  Been pushing myself with the swimming quite hard this week.

James

My dew strap for my main scope set on fire. :E

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, smr said:

My dew strap for my main scope set on fire. :E

Good grief!

Is there much damage?

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, don4l said:

Good grief!

Is there much damage?

Just the dew strap, I put it on the scope and noticed smoke coming from the cable where it goes into the strap, then a tiny fire. 

I'm using the dew strap which is meant to be for my guidescope instead so no guiding tonight. 

Not sure why it overheated. But it's the first time I've tried running two dew straps, they were plugged into one of these.

Both astrozap heaters.

Picture 1 of 3

I don't believe it I am imaging from Home, haven't imaged from home since probably February. 

Been to astro camps ever since and not done any imaging since Kelling in September. 

Didn't bother to set up at home as thought I would get to camp again, but weather has transpired against us last month, and this month the camp can't take us because it's too boggy on the field and various renovations going on, so decided to set up this afternoon with clear sky for tonight and also forecast on Monday night too fingers crossed.

Carole 

• Like 2

I'm surprised.  The comments here earlier made me think that everybody would be imaging tonight.

Sorry, not going to be playing tonight, even if it does clear. This wretched cold is developing into the real thing, a bit of a streamer. I often get two or three "mini" colds in a season, perhaps lasting a couple of days without developing into anything, but this is different. I want to be fit to image when it does clear, if it does clear, so staying in.

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Sorry, not going to be playing tonight, even if it does clear. This wretched cold is developing into the real thing, a bit of a streamer. I often get two or three "mini" colds in a season, perhaps lasting a couple of days without developing into anything, but this is different. I want to be fit to image when it does clear, if it does clear, so staying in.

Sorry to hear you are not well. I used to get colds very regularly 4 times a year and really bad ones (yes I am a man 😂) and started to drink lemon water every day (fresh lemon juice in boiled water in the morning) I know it’s an acquired taste but since I started that I haven’t had a cold - 3 years now. Not for everybody but I swear it’s helped me fight off the lurgy. 

Steve 

• Like 2

Been out for 3.5 hrs just come in and wait for Orion to come up over the houses at the back of me just time to get a warm and a welcome brew.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DaveS said:

DaveS hope you get well soon. The stars deserve your attention. When ou are better, rip it up get some great images on here. I will look out for them.

Marvin

• Like 1

Clear sky over London 😳🤷‍♂️👌so first proper light for my newly modified scope and first proper Flamsteed meet that hasn’t been called off cos of clouds- really looking firward to tonight 😊

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, markse68 said:

Clear sky over London 😳🤷‍♂️👌so first proper light for my newly modified scope and first proper Flamsteed meet that hasn’t been called off cos of clouds- really looking firward to tonight 😊

I only wish I could be there, all of you enjoy yourselves.

• Like 2

I've been imaging for the past 2 hours, but whilst the sky is clear, transparency is poor, so I'm not sure how usable the data I'm collecting will be. I'm try to complete NGC7479 (Superman Galaxy), which I started exactly 1 month ago on 29 October and this is the first opportunity since then....!! I've now completed 9x10mins subs on each RGB, so have moved on to L and will let it run for as long as possible, hopefully for at least 2 hours, by when the target will be below 30 deg alt in the west, so I would likely stop imaging it then anyway. The forecast is for increasing fog tonight through late morning tomorrow, so that may well scupper my plans, but fingers crossed 🤞.

In any event I'm not wanting a late night as my wife and I are heading back to Surrey tomorrow for the weekend, not least to celebrate our younger daughter's 40th birthday on Sunday... 🍾🍾🎂

Cheers, Geof

I've been capturing photons since 18:00 and the conditions are fantastic - I currently have a tracking RMS in RA of 0.085 arcseconds so the sky is not only clear but I guess pretty steady too.

Tracking.png.db97f814661bbdf941613e82aef45f0b.png

After the atrocious weather of the last month, I was due this one!

• Like 2