Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep3_banner.thumb.jpg.5533fb830ae914798f4dbbdd2c8a5853.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

1 hour ago, DaveS said:

That's usually the Excess, and I've seen a few of that type of headline come up on my google news feed, but don't click on them as they're nobut clickbait.

Yes, I think I saw just such a headline a couple of weeks back.  Just before that one chilly night we had.

James

Image result for i'm so excited and i just can't hide it gif

it's been so long since a clear night it's going to be hard to remember which bit goes where....!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The clear sky is always 2 or 3 days ahead :( .

image.thumb.png.70082ce3e4da9875bd75fcc7939c5507.png

And now I have a cold brewing, hope it's not too bad and I can get out for Monday and Tuesday.

• Sad 1

Clear sky on the forecast here so might spend an hour this afternoon prepping the heater straps and tidying up just in case its correct. 😆

• Like 1

Proper clear skies at last! Going for visual on the Cocoon, Wizard and Horse Head tonight at my 21.94 Bortle 2 spot. Lows around -5 or -6C. Will get to test out my 12v hair dryer dew prevention apparatus...

Weather 29-30 11 19.jpg

Edited by Ships and Stars
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Ships and Stars said:

Proper clear skies at last! Going for visual on the Cocoon, Wizard and Horse Head tonight at my 21.94 Bortle 2 spot. Lows around -5 or -6C. Will get to test out my 12v hair dryer dew prevention apparatus...

Weather 29-30 11 19.jpg

I hadn't seen that website before.  It works really well on my slow link.  I've now bookmarked it - thank you!

• Like 1

Uncovered the scopes in the garden to give them an airing after the interminable rain, going to fit new dovetail clamp and hopefully the forecast clear skies will materialise tonight, might even get a nice frost, must go and put batteries on charge.

It'll be a long day as I got up at six o'clock hoping to catch Mercury and Mars but it was still cloudy so have to try again tomorrow.

Dave

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, don4l said:

I hadn't seen that website before.  It works really well on my slow link.  I've now bookmarked it - thank you!

Hi Don,

The top map is from Ventusky - some very experienced sailors recommended it to me. It's generally quite good and shows many different layers of data. I used to use Wundermap, but now generally stick with Ventusky.

The bottom bar with time and cloud cover is just from the Met Office. Generally speaking, they are the most accurate forecasters I've found. One thing to watch out for with Met Office is they will change it hourly when the weather is being unpredictable, but at least they update it frequently.

Another one to check from the Met Office is www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/observation/map -- they have visible and IR satellite data so you can see cloud cover in real terms, not a prediction. 

Norwegian Met office is also generally very good for the UK - https://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/

There is of course FLO as well. 

Happy viewing!

• Thanks 1

Wow, just noticed nearly 12hrs of clear skies and no moon forecast here in Essex!!

Christmas has come early :)

• Like 1

Has a very nice couple of hours last night. Seeing and transparency were excellent. Managed over an hour seeking out Messier objects and managed to split Polaris at just 29x with my Borg 77EDII and Morpheus 17.5mm. It's the best skies I have seen in a long time.

Glen.

• Like 1

Ordered Focus Motor for SCT.

It should arrive today. Will be able to fit, test and have a great night imaging. As it is expected to be below freezing tonight I can relax in the warm living room and Focusing from my armchair :)

I've got one new thing for today and that's a dew heater for my guidescope. 

• Like 1

Just been blowing unwanted cobwebs away inside the observatory and rigging up a GoPro, I’m thinking about capturing a time lapse tonight. Had a peek at the Sun looking for any activity, nothing to report. 

Took a iPhone picture through the eyepiece. 

All ready for tonight, hopefully should be a good evening ahead for everyone. 

6F820E90-366F-4684-9310-B23FE2144F2B.thumb.jpeg.facce697266b814d7323fb8e5ae527fa.jpeg

• Like 2

Clouded out last night here on the East Coast,raining as I speak.

All clipping the coast as usual.

fingers crossed,but not that confident. 

Not looking so good tonight where I am. Clear skies are now forecast for Sunday night.

Why is it weekend clear skies always seem to fall on Sunday night :confused:

My Astro Society has an observing night so I am hoping it stays clear. We are using a new dark site so I will interested in obtaining a sky reading.

CO is showing orange for tonight, so may do a bit of cloud-dodging visual. Sunday and Monday are showing green, but also showing increasing moon. As I'm fighting a cold and a duff back (Still :( ) I won't plan on anything.

Society night for me too. Talks rather than observing though. Might put a scope in the car in case anyone wants to do some observing although we meet in the middle of Bristol so light pollution is quite intense.

Just set up in the obsy first time since last Spring.  Unfortunately our astro camp in Bortle 4 can't accommodate us as the ground is too soft and they have workmen there anyway putting in new stables, so looks like I am now set up in the obsy until next spring. 

Only Targets doable from Bortle 8 for the foreseeable, plus restricted views, due to trees and houses.  😥 

Carole 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Gina said:

CO is still red here.

Red here too, but looks like it may turn orange somewhere around 7-9 o/c (CO is showing red at 8 o/c but it looks OK). Still showing 30%+ cloud so no imaging tonight, visual only if anything.

According to ClearOutside I have got a clear night tonight.....first one since god knows when.....

Praying the Fog keeps away.....🙏

• Like 2