Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

No rain here now, but it's still pretty grim.  I don't think I shall be braving the cold this evening...

James

Fairly clear here this evening, just had a quick boggle at Jupiter through the binos and fairly good seeing.  However arthritis is not letting me play tonight, normally happens at the change of the seasons; sort of hay fever for oldies. So not setting up, I'll just keep taking the pills.:cry:

• Sad 1

Broken cloud hear just been out testing my lightbridge replacement ,  set up works quite well 

some nice views of Saturn and Jupiter through the frac and the ring neb through the orion

newtonian , the Orion newt is perfect for this set up due to its low weight half that of an 8  inch 

skywatcher newt. Sorry about the rubbish picture  but it was dark

image.jpg

It is clear here and I am ignoring the moon.  Getting decent Ha on CTB1 which is supposed to be very faint.  The data is looking good.

• Like 1

Well I visual showed my boy Saturn, he was well impressed so decided to start tracking but cant find eqmod cable 🤯 .😡 how do u loose a cable and a pal borrowed my spare ,  just a normal evening for my astronomy experience 😭.

I knew tonight was going to be cloudy with spots of clear sky for a few moments. No use for DSO imaging. So I decided to spend a long time collimating my C11 since I converted it back to full focal length from Hyperstar ( removed and now replaced the front convex mirror ) 

I used the collimation aid AlsCollAidV11.zip from this historic post.

You know when things just feel right!! Everything went well. I decided to use my ASI290MC Cool as it has a fast download time and only a small chip. The sky cleared, I found a very bright Star out of focus. Connected the camera first in ASICAP to collimate. I took my time and within 15 minutes managed to get the doughnut circle as good as I would ever expect... then connected the camera to SGPro. Plate solve very fast. I was Very happy.  :) Now all I want are some long spells  of clear skies to image with.

Went out at 10 or so to put the pet-warmer under the Telegizmos cover and the sky was clearing, but the background was so luminous that I wouldn't even have tried running a model.

Any suggestions for later, in Ha, and as far away from the moon as possible.  I know it's futile, but I'd like to at least get a few hours of running since I replace a belt. 

Thanks in advance

Adam.

• Like 1

NGC281, pacman? Melotte 15, cluster + "pillars"? Both pretty well opposite the moon.

• Thanks 2

Rain forecast fro here tonight.  Tomorrow night looks better - apart from the moon.

After a murky day here the sky's been clearing but I doubt if it'll be usable for imaging. Tomorrow looks better, but maybe only for modeling.

Forecast clear from just after 10pm here...As said above,...Ha. due to moon. Although I do fancy finding two comets I have read about. :) Might spend 30 mins on those two first.

Pelting down with rain here. Just had to go and rescue a moth-trap that was in danger of getting flooded. As I have to get up early to travel to London, it is probably just as well that any astronomy is out of the question tonight 😏

Raining here now too - the forecast got that right!

Not raining here (Yet) but clouded over and very humid. Just seen a car coming up the road and its headlights were one big blur of haze. Hope tomorrow's better

Murky, wet and cloudy here in Pembrokeshire. Tomorrow night is forecast to be clear all night, but typically I’ve got an early shift on Saturday so will be going to bed around 10pm for a 4am wake up😩

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, DaveS said:

NGC281, pacman? Melotte 15, cluster + "pillars"? Both pretty well opposite the moon.

Hi Dave

Thanks for the tips.  FIrst proper clear night in weeks (shame about the moon).  Here is where I am at so far 3 10mins subs Ha.  The moon really does push the noise up.

image.png.d4765631de79eff6b5a22074ec623207.png

• Like 1

Snap !!!!!! (From a couple of nights ago)

(But its just clouded over and started raining mid drift alignment!)

70170026_2097967087174602_8482513714715557888_n.jpg

• Like 2

Glad someone's managing to image tonight. Total write off here, but maybe tomorrow with the 3 mm Astrodons. If I do go after Mel 15 it will be HII only, maybe 2 or 3 hours worth.

• Like 3

The 105mm lens that got waterlogged has dried out and for my next session I had planned to check that this lens is still as good as it was.  Unfortunately, I'm far from sure I can depend on any results with a full moon.  Now I'm thinking I may just leave the current 105mm lens on and see if I can find something to image that isn't in the direction of the blinding moon!  That is assuming the forecast of clear skies tomorrow night actually materialises.  Nothing doing tonight - it's raining!

45 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Glad someone's managing to image tonight. Total write off here, but maybe tomorrow with the 3 mm Astrodons. If I do go after Mel 15 it will be HII only, maybe 2 or 3 hours worth.

I tried an hour of Oiii - futile. 

Just about to pack up here. Failed to see any comets. CDC Said it was there but no matter, No stars with tails. No objects showing signs of movement so left that. Went for IC410 but clouds grew to the East so went to Mel15 and clouds followed.  One can see the edge of the bank of clouds growing, although the clouds are moving south east...They are growing northwest. So, will never vanish at this rate!

Maybe tomorrow night will be more productive. At least my collimation looks good since I sorted that last night lol.

My 60 second test sub of Mel15 and the Heart Nebula from ZWOASI183mm Pro (Gain200) and 3nm Astrodon.

image.thumb.png.864da16619b9af99f58e7d0d8078ecea.png

As I post this, the clouds dissipate like magic :) Clear skies again !!

Edited by Star101
  • Like 2

Just been out for a quick boggle with the bins, absolutely gin clear here and seeing top notch. My old friend Orion looked superb through my Zeiss 8 x 42's glad he's back. Sweeping towards the Hyades and Auriga, upsilon Tauri, Aldebaran, M36 and 37 screamed get the frac out; but I know they're only teasing, our own star will be waking soon and the wonder will disappear, but only briefly.

K

Edited by KevS
  • Like 1

CO says clear all night - amazing!  Cygnus is out due to the moon but if I were to image around 3am tomorrow morning, I could catch Orion rather low in the SE where I have good views down to a couple of degrees above horizontal.  The 28mm lens would get the trees in on the far hill unless I delay images until even later.  I'll think about it...1418435149_Screenshotfrom2019-09-1308-54-17.png.408a737a670164a384701b59f7678a83.png

• Like 1