Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

Mine is similar to yours, Gina, though I have orange where you have green.  I'd guess I'm a little closer to you than Dave.

I seriously doubt it's possible to predict the weather conditions that accurately four days in advance for locations barely twenty miles apart though.

James

• Like 1

I don't know why you're getting that green block on Saturday Gina, I was getting the same a few hours ago but now it's vanished.

Let us know how you get on with the 8 position wheel, there is a question over it's compatibility with Astrodons I'd like resolved.

The same was said about the ZWO EFW Mini but it's fine so I'm hoping the bigger wheel is the same.

4 minutes ago, bish said:

We can't help ourselves...

That is SO true!!

• Like 1

Just ventured outside and there's a lot of high cirrus cloud, could only see Vega which was really dim too.

Clear here, but transparancy very poor.  I've put the scope out (again) just in case.

I opened the obs roof around 6pm and have waited about 2 hours hoping that the hazy cloud cover would clear from the south, but if anything it got worse, so I've just shut everything down without taking a single sub, or even trying to take one. At least that's the good thing about a permanent set up, I can open up and shut down in minutes......

Just checked outside and the view skywards is about as good as it gets if you're lying face down in a cave wearing a welding mask.

James

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, JamesF said:

Just checked outside and the view skywards is about as good as it gets if you're lying face down in a cave wearing a welding mask.

James

Bit better than here then 😂

• Haha 2

You must be under a blanket as well...

James

• Haha 2

Just come in from an hour or so of observing. Feel really bad moaning as my last opportunity other than three clear nights dead on the full moon was October 9th.

No observable cloud. Constellations clearly visible, little if no star twinkle, some milky way visible, great. It’s early evening so ideal middle of the night conditions but I am a working man so that’s how it is. 
Some open clusters in Cassiopeia but trouble finding focus, nothing is really clear.

I stand away from the scope and just look around. There appears to be a sky glow, like a uniform light source across the whole of the sky, like a toned down version of a full moon. I have no moon at 8pm where I am.

I can only conclude that a high ultra thin overcast has come over and is reflecting distant light pollution that is not normally an issue. Anyone else have this problem?

Did think this should be posted in observing but I really didn’t see anything.

Marv

• Like 2

In some circumstances light pollution does seem to carry a very long way.

James

Wired thing it is uniform across the whole sky from horizon to horizon. Any indicators as to where I should post this as a topic, I am thinking observing?

M

Seems as good a place as any.

James

This is where we grumble about rubbish weather as well as the occasional good night.

I'm just back from a social evening and it's thick cloud here.  At least it isn't freezing (or not quite).

• Like 1

According to the weather station it is actually warmer now than it was a few hours ago.  Not much warmer, I admit :)

James

It cleared for a while earlier.  It didn't look like it would last, so I had a look at M74.  I managed 15 minutes in 3m subs - enough to see that it isn't a suitable target for 530mm FL. 

The evening has been useful though.  I've taken some flats for a LP (light pollution) filter which I am trying out as an "L".  Also managed to build up my dark library at -40C, which I cannot do indoors.

So, I should be fully prepared if the skies clear between now and next March!

We can but hope...

I'm continuing to make progress on my ROR automation which may come in useful sometime!

Unexpectedly clear here in Harrogate, just started imaging, not sure if it will last as forecasts  all say cloud

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AbsolutelyN said:

Unexpectedly clear here in Harrogate, just started imaging, not sure if it will last as forecasts  all say cloud

Wish I could say the same here. I can see stars but its murky still. Images will be foggy.

Hope it stays clear for you there until sunrise ;) 

Got up at 5 o/c ish for a leak, looked out of the window and the sky was brilliantly clear. Still went back to bed though.

I saw a few stars in the early hours too...  Didn't last though as it was clouded over by the time it got light.