Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

Cracking session this evening but it's getting really cold now. It's almost 0ºc outside, the sky sparkles but I'm freezing.

• Like 1

Hard frost outside but I'm nice and warm indoors - the benefit of remote control.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Gina said:

Hard frost outside but I'm nice and warm indoors - the benefit of remote control.

Couldn't agree more Gina. I've only been out three times this evening and one of those was to check the skies  😛 

• Like 1

Camera has warmed up.  It's been a cracking evening - and all the better because it was unexpected.  I have an oak tree slightly east of south, so this is my first glimpse of the horse.  I couldn't resist having a quick peek.  4 mins 2x2.  I'll sleep well after that.

Sum Horse.jpg

• Like 5

Raw histogram before image processing showing that I would seem to have the settings about right.

1358494902_Screenshotfrom2019-11-1900-16-05.png.79a61ff650b6094289d51802c64d323f.png

• Like 1

It will take a lot of subs to get much out of this - may be better another night!

There's thin high cloud going through - just watched the change of image from one sub to the next,  I had a feeling the sky was a bit lacking tonight.  Guess it's time to pack up and hope for a better night before too long.

3 hour session at our local darksite.

I've earned my stripes tonight : it was down to -3ºC when we packed away  🥶

High haze has stopped my play time now. Just running 100 flats then I'll pack away. 

Hard frost here too.  Just been out and closed up the observatory.  Nearly an eighth of an inch of frost on the inside wooden parts.  Brrrr...

Off to bed now. Goodnight and good luck to anyone still with clear skies.  Lots of cloud about here now.

I set my scope up after work at 7 o'clock. Just finished taking my calibration frames at 1am but only got an hours worth of data. 

Its just been one of those nights but there are positives too

28 minutes ago, geordie85 said:

I set my scope up after work at 7 o'clock. Just finished taking my calibration frames at 1am but only got an hours worth of data. 

Its just been one of those nights but there are positives too

Why take calibration frames when its a clear sky?

• Like 1

Tried out Piggybacking for the first time tonight. I attempted to capture Pleiades with a 60 second exposure, well I think it’s Pleiades 🤔, using a unmodified Canon 1300D camera and entry level lens. 

26857681-75F6-44B9-A5F0-FFD2BCBEEF4A.thumb.jpeg.e607b1492e15905a29c04b5b08c4e4ec.jpeg

• Like 3

Mist came in .

Carried on regardless.

Just packed up.

Mist clearing.

Dropped to about -2.5°C  but a good coating of frost.

Impressed that some people were out so late, especially given how cold it was.  -2.5C here when I came in, and it got down to -3.5C.  Still below -3C even now.

James

It started so clear and promising. I left my rig going all night, high cloud rolled in and the results look like the lens completely dewed up. No sign of any more clear nights to come anytime soon ... 😐

Still freezing here too though the temperature did rise slightly during the early hours as the cloud came in.  That seems to have been the last of any clear night skies for quite some time now!  😕  Oh well, back to building...

7 hours ago, Star101 said:

Agreed.  Do your calibration frames when everything is cooling down and get an extra couple of subs in ;) 

I was up at 5:30, I am in reception in St Martins in London having got the train at 06:25 from Grantham.  I'm shattered and have to deliver a presentation to my clients at 9:30.... 😱

Here's hoping for a cloudy night tonight 😂

Edited by kirkster501
  • Haha 2

Missed this thread last night. After a couple of hours battling I finally got APT, ASPS and PHD2 fully running smoothly for the first time so managed my first fully automated and guided session.

In fact, having only got my camera etc earlier this year and having been ill over the summer this was only my second proper imaging session.

Due to set up issues only managed an hour on M33 but I definitely managed to hit the target using plate solving alone and the stars look good for 5 minute subs. I’ll properly process the data tonight.

All in all a good night’s work :)

07444456-800E-4D57-B96B-EDA045A4E44F.jpeg

Edited by dannybgoode
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Star101 said:

It wasn't exactly clear by this time. Alot of high haze came in and it just got worse. 

If had stayed clear I'd have stayed out longer collecting photons. 

• Like 1