Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

3 minutes ago, Gina said:

I'll take a few more Ha subs then go over to OIII.  For the record the focus was best at 8000 counts.  I'll stick with my manual successive approximation approach until I get some idea why the Ekos autofocus isn't working right.  Nowt wrong with my remote focus control - works fine using the Astroberry Focuser INDI Driver.

Have you tried it with a different lens? 

Cloudy here now.  Managed 40m OIII on the Heart.  At this rate I should have a good image by late 2025!

Set scope up at 5.00pm. Got outside at 6.30, only used ipad with wifi for visual, clouds came in at 6.55. Boo, hiss.

Eric.

Still got wonky stars, looking like bad guiding / tracking / PA.

Will check the next sub.

I haven't ventured outside again yet but Ice is starting to form on the cars...

Started trying to drift align my mount - pointless. Cloud now full on - try again sometime...

Focus is better But I think I need to check PA. Not tonight though, I will let this run

image.thumb.png.a125b2d5c017e6b4daae20751952f7fa.png

Given the fact the SA isn't rated for operation in sub-zero temperatures, I doubt DSLRs either, I had not thought about this until now... 

The Met Office weather satellite (UK observation map) shows a stream of cloud and showers running down the the east coast from the north right over my location for the next few hours, so I've parked the scope and closed the obs roof. I left the camera cooler on just in case, so that I can make a quick start IF it decides to clear, but it's not looking very promising.....

7 minutes ago, Pullock said:

I haven't ventured outside again yet but Ice is starting to form on the cars...

I came inside about 40 minutes ago to eat and it was already freezing then.  Could be really quite a cold night unless the air warms up when the cloud comes in later (assuming the forecast is correct of course).

I'm almost hoping it does turn cloudy later.  Then I won't feel so bad about having to stop because I have to be up for a six-hour round trip to Staines for a one-hour meeting :(

James

Refocused for OIII 10430.  240s g360 T-34.  It's pretty weak but there is something there.  Just wondering whether to increase exposure with attendant swelling of the stars.

Heart360-34_Light_OIII_240_secs_2019-11-18T20-03-36_001.png.b0ef8c6f013ecbb63fb34452c22b14b3.png

Edited by Gina

Very few stars visible, I think the transparency is very poor tonight. Maybe it being close to the sea.

Cleared up here again.   If I get a few more subs, I'll be pleased.

• Like 2

Going to drop the gain by 6dB and double the time to 8m (480s) and see if my mount is well enough set up to take 8m subs with no guiding and without eggy stars.  That will increase the full well capability while doubling the photons collected so hopefully increasing sensitivity without cropping the stars any more - if my understanding on the way CMOS sensors work is right.

Edited by Gina

Back out in the observatory here, and it's down to -1C :(

James

Just checked the forecast and the Met Office have actually extended the clear period until 10pm!

James

• Like 1

I finally have both scopes lined up nicely. Firing off some 5 minute subs on both Canon 6D at ISO1600 and ASI1600 at 0 gain. Seems to give a similar background ADU before calibration. Still looking clear here. Flip due at 9pm so I'll have a look outside again before deciding if it's worth refocusing and continuing.

m31.PNG

• Like 2

Well I just ventured outside and it doesn't feel like it's freezing out there, my target of M42 is currently rising over the light dome of Birmingham Airport so I'll need to wait a little while longer.

Just had a fruitless walk into Puncknowle for the Crown where I should have my tablets delivered. Closed. Will have to make some urgent 'phone calls tomorrow. There was a heavy frost on the car, so will check the 'scope. Has some badly trailed stars in a couple of subs, I think it may be the north meridian where the MLPT looked a bit iffy.

Definitely need a better PA.

42 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Just checked the forecast and the Met Office have actually extended the clear period until 10pm!

James

CO has got worse, two green blocks have turned orange. Still clear here though and the transparency looks to be better.

Green here until 11pm, with the Moon set to rise at 9.30 far up into the sky would you say it gets before it washes everything out ?

Transparency has been very poor here in Cornwall, too. Now there's patchy low cloud moving in, so I'll be packing up shortly after a rather pointless imaging session (I suppose it's all good practice of course).

A little disappointing, as it had looked very promising at dusk; meanwhile the forecast for the next week here is poor. Good luck to those still persevering!

Regards, Mike. 

1 minute ago, smr said:

Green here until 11pm, with the Moon set to rise at 9.30 far up into the sky would you say it gets before it washes everything out ?

It depends.  Are you using filters?  A 3nm Ha filter can almost be used in daylight.

For the rest, it depends on how close you are to the Moon, and how much thin haze there is.  Try it and see.