Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

I'm no longer sure that I blew up the board in my EQ6.

The replacement board didn't work either!  However, it wouldn't have worked because I have now discovered that the EQMOD - Shoestring adapter was the source of that burning smell.

As it happens, I have a spare and I can connect to both old and new boards - (on the breakfast room table).  Unfortunately, I cannot yet try things on the mount.  Hopefully tomorrow will be dry and I will be able to try everything out in the mount itself.

Anyway, the power connector is now taped up in the correct position.

• Like 2

Having got my Arduino upload sorted out with help from here I think I'll turn in before anything else stops working!  Goodnight all and good luck to those still up.

Just now, Gina said:

Having got my Arduino upload sorted out with help from here I think I'll turn in before anything else stops working!  Goodnight all and good luck to those still up.

Is it completely sorted now, Gina?  You have the Nano working?

James

'night Gina. I think I'll turn in myself to give my back a rest.

• Like 1

It would seem so James - the Nano test LED is blinking nicely at the right rate.  I haven't checked a cheap Nano clone with the CH340 comm chip yet - I'll do that tomorrow when I've found one.

Marvellous.  That's good news then.

James

• Thanks 1

My EQ6 seems to be fully functional again.

The board wasn't damaged at all.  It was the EQMOD adapter.  I'm feeling a bit stupid, but that's nothing new.

[For those who have no idea what I am talking about - I managed to reverse the power into my EQ6 and it stopped working.  It is well documented that the control board cannot cope with wrong polarity on the power, so I ordered a new board.  The new board didn't work either.  It turned out that the Shoestring/EQMOD adapter had blown, so I now have a spare EQ6 control board.]

I think most of us have been there!  I know I'm as stupid as the next person.  Glad the main board is alright - gives you a spare.

Edited by Gina

4 hours ago, Gina said:

I think most of us have been there!  I know I'm as stupid as the next person.  Glad the main board is alright - gives you a spare.

I would be much more annoyed if the weather had been clear.  As it happens, I haven't missed any imaging.

I'm now waiting for those lovely clear winter nights to roll in.

• Like 1

The sky seems to be clearing here.  An hour ago  most of it had a thin layer of cloud, but now all I can see is con trails.  There are a lot of them, but in between it doesn't look too bad.

I might not get any proper imaging done, but I might be able to have a play around.

Nothing doing tonight, but CO is suggesting some clear patches tomorrow. Maybe. Perhaps.

• Like 2

Its still grim up here... the forecast says it may hopefully clear for a bit.....

I might be able to see some of the brighter celestial objects that have been invisible for the last month....like the Moon !

Fine drizzle here!  CO shows some green tomorrow night so who knows..

More cloud than clear here, But I feel I may be coming down with a cold so it probably won't matter anyway.

Bit of clear here, just capturing a few shots of comet 260P McNaught.

Dave

• Like 1

Due to be clear here all night :D

I fired up the DSLR and at 35mm here is a single 5 minute sub.  But concentrating on M45 at present with the scope.  I'm having one of those nights, I cant decide what to shoot, any pointers for an Ha target later on would be appreciated.

single-sub-300s.jpg

• Like 2

So much for the clear sky didn't last long but to be fair there's no cloud, just FOG :cussing:

Dave

• Sad 2

45 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

I fired up the DSLR and at 35mm here is a single 5 minute sub.  But concentrating on M45 at present with the scope.  I'm having one of those nights, I cant decide what to shoot, any pointers for an Ha target later on would be appreciated.

single-sub-300s.jpg

How about the Tadpoles or Flaming Star in Auriga 

Edited by Laurin Dave
  • Like 1

I've been busy with other stuff today as forecast was not offering any hope. Just looked outside to see very clear skies, stars everywhere....and the Moon rising. Oh well.

Tomorrow is forecast clear all night. Will play then instead. :) 

2 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

single-sub-300s.jpg

That's the worst M27 I've ever seen.😁

Edited by don4l
  • Haha 2

If CO is right it might be clear(ish)until around moonrise at 10pm.  At that time Orion will have not been up long so not the best candidate for imaging tonight.  OTOH Simeis 147 Spaghetti Nebula will be well up and clear of the moon when it rises.  The sky in KStars below shows the FOV rectangle where this should be lurking.  I might spend an hour or two on it if the clear sky materialises.  I want better resolution.

1954826182_Screenshotfrom2019-11-1814-44-57.png.dd36a7411381d668bcbb6dad1d5d02ea.png

KStars showing 19:36.
471453807_Screenshotfrom2019-11-1815-03-46.png.4ba186964f36d7acbc1e4d3061b20777.png

22:36 with moon and Orion just risen.
534034761_Screenshotfrom2019-11-1814-43-27.png.4a7a1d4853c26a23caaef9184a51fc7a.png

1548159147_Screenshotfrom2019-11-1111-16-47.png.7d0e06e8c9bdff704e4526365e6f4352.png

Edited by Gina
  • Like 2

The few odd wispy bits of cloud seem to be sloping off to leeward leaving an almost totally clear sky, so I'm hopeful for tonight.  TV weather forecast is for a clear night too.  CO says solid cloud after 10pm.  We'll see.

• Like 1

We're due a good few clear hours here so I'd better start sorting things out, no idea what to try and image though.

• Like 2

Looks like I need to start as soon as darkness arrives to make the most of clear skies.

image.png.f9e51d7a48caf77c4d03d267b3cdf3f7.png

10 minutes ago, Pullock said:

We're due a good few clear hours here so I'd better start sorting things out, no idea what to try and image though.

Same here, what to choose!!

• Like 1