Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

Ah yes...  Been there, done that, got the T shirt!!  (Almost!)

Virtually perfect sky here, despite what the forecast says!

Anyone on the east coast of Lincolnshire should be in a for a good few hours, but barely enough time to set up here and I'm heading out anyway.

So now apparently we'll have rain in 2 hours or so, although stars are looking very dim, maybe a thin layer of cloud high up or similar. Not sure if I want to haul everything outside just yet.

Clear but very misty, poor visibility and Mr Moon has just came out to play.....will see what happens but not looking good.

First time I have seen any stars for weeks..

• Sad 1

The hail has stopped but still light rain.

I've never seen Vega look so dim, so much mist up there it may have to wait again for another night.

Typical!  It started to rain just as I finished fitting the control board to my mount.

Thin layer of cloud has moved in, glad I didn't bother setting up.

3 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Anyone on the east coast of Lincolnshire should be in a for a good few hours,

Just had a butchers and I have clag rolling in from the east. You know the type of stuff that appears stationary while you setting up and then arrives like Usain Bolt as soon as you start an imaging run, or nip inside to make a cuppa; don't think I can stand the PHD beep of doom for the second night in a row😣.

Very clear here last night! -5C near Banchory, up the road a bit. Still couldn't see any DSOs because this incredibly bright orb was washing everything out. I took a pic if anyone can identify it? It was moving at a different rate than the stars. 

(200p on EQ5, 2x powermate, Nikon D810, 1/200th sec at ISO500 I think?). A simple moon shot, but my first photo ever using a telescope... 

DSC_8588i.jpg

• Like 8

I collimated the Tak last night, and very precisely spaced my camera from the corrector lens to exactly 56.7mm using Baader shims.

I'm really happy with the results from tonight.  I dont think it's 100% perfect, but it's good for my first attempt at collimation.

Here is 19 x 5 mins from earlier, with a 7nm Optolong Ha filter.  Stacked without any calibration files.  DPP stretch in APP and converted to JPEG.

Veil_19x5mins.jpg

• Like 7

No sign of clear night skies anytime soon!  Done a bit more to my ASC though.

Poked my head out as I was locking up, very bright moon, and very bright sky with few stars visible. Windy too, with racing clouds.

And with that i think I'll turn in, give my back a rest (Hopefully). 'night all, good luck to any who have clear skies.

• Like 1

Hope you have a good night Dave.

Solid cloud here but not actually raining!

Still raining here, and the cloud must be very dense -- there's no obvious light from the Moon at all.

James

No sign of the moon here either.  Yes, very dense cloud!

I've not been out with my scopes for over 3 weeks.  Weather awful.  

It's actually stopped me spending money looking at new kit😁

2 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

I collimated the Tak last night, and very precisely spaced my camera from the corrector lens to exactly 56.7mm using Baader shims.

I'm really happy with the results from tonight.  I dont think it's 100% perfect, but it's good for my first attempt at collimation.

Here is 19 x 5 mins from earlier, with a 7nm Optolong Ha filter.  Stacked without any calibration files.  DPP stretch in APP and converted to JPEG.

Veil_19x5mins.jpg

That looks very good.  Have you compared the Optalong filter to any others?  What are your feelings about it?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, don4l said:

That looks very good.  Have you compared the Optalong filter to any others?  What are your feelings about it?

Thanks! I have the Baader narrowband filters too, in 1.25”.  I was using them side by side along with the Optolong filters in dual ED80s.  In my uneducated view the h-a has more contrast, and the Oiii definitely has smaller halos. 

1 hour ago, tooth_dr said:

Thanks! I have the Baader narrowband filters too, in 1.25”.  I was using them side by side along with the Optolong filters in dual ED80s.  In my uneducated view the h-a has more contrast, and the Oiii definitely has smaller halos. 

Just to be sure, are you saying that the Optolong has the smaller halos?

I'm very interested because I might set up a second camera, and I can't afford more Chroma filters.

37 minutes ago, don4l said:

Just to be sure, are you saying that the Optolong has the smaller halos?

I'm very interested because I might set up a second camera, and I can't afford more Chroma filters.

Yes Optolong was better. I’ve had the luxury of identical scopes and cameras running at the same time to do side by side comparisons.  There are negative reviews, but my own personal experience has been good. 

• Thanks 1

Out again tonight, some Oiii and some Sii, I've overlaid the subs to show the different areas of emissions.

imaging-veil-si-oiii.gif

3 uncalibrated subs thrown together just to see what it looks like  1 x 300s Ha 1 x 300s Oiii 1 x 300s Sii

image.thumb.png.204c7a21247b84622dbf71e80cfb6ddd.png

Im getting good guiding on my Dec with no corrections, but the RA is still higher than I'd like, any suggestions?

image.thumb.png.9da7b316d742132c0a12efbb7f793743.png

Edited by tooth_dr
  • Like 3

Raining here!  Now there's a surprise!!!

/sarcasm

• Haha 1