Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

I'm not planning anything, especially based on CO.

• Like 1

Tipping down here again, too.  At the moment it looks as though the Mercury transit tomorrow will be a complete wash-out :(

Beyond that, I really wouldn't want to guess.

James

Still showing 3 hours clear sky tomorrow night on CO.  I'll see what tomorrow brings.  A 3nm Ha filter cuts out lots of moonlight.  Another DSO I would like to have another go at is Simeis 147  (Spaghetti Nebula) which rises much earlier than Orion.  This is about 3° and my current imaging rig covers 7.5° x 5.7° so should be suitable.  Previous image only barely covered it.  This was taken in October 2014 probably with Atik 460EX camera.  Present camera, ASI1600MM-Cool, has higher resolution.

1548159147_Screenshotfrom2019-11-1111-16-47.png.7d0e06e8c9bdff704e4526365e6f4352.png

Edited by Gina
  • Like 4

Found a more recent version taken with the same rig as I'm using now.

On 04/12/2016 at 19:05, Gina said:

Processed Simeis 147 Ha in BPP then auto-stretched and cleaned up the background with DBE.  Screenshot of PixInsight edited in GIMP with levels.

Simeis 147 Ha 132 120s g600 stretched.png

• Like 5

The three hours of green have now turned into three hours orange. There's also three hors orange tonight, but with high wind and rain also on the forecast I won't be playing.

There's clear sky forecast after midnight on Friday, but 1) it's too far ahead, and 2) I want an early night as I'm off  to the IAS on Saturday and need to be away early.

• Sad 1

Still showing 3 hours green tomorrow night here but all could change.

I enjoyed that very long night last week and after recovering, felt a lot better for it.  I've certainly still got the bug!!  Thought I was losing it but a good night reset my brain back to astro 🤣

• Like 1

I think the last few months have just been a case of gritting one's teeth and getting through it.  The weather has been astonishingly poor :(

James

• Like 1

It's been diabolical. We expect a bit of rain in Autumn but this has been just ridiculous.

• Like 1

All I can think is that we in the south have missed the worst of it!!

I'm actually managing to see the Sun\Mercury through the cloud-cover, but the air turbulence makes focusing a tad trying, but at least I'm getting something.....

• Like 1

Well for tonight, CO says cloudy, Met office says cloudy, Sat24 shows a break in the cloud and looking at the sky I think I know which one is right.

IMG_20191111_164700.jpg

Lots of clear sky here just at the moment but also some cloud.  CO and BBC say cloud and rain for tonight but I wonder.  fair amount of rain lately though and the mud is pretty bad :eek:  I can see stars/planets ATM.

Managed to get a few minutes work done on my observatory between showers this afternoon though nothing like as much as I would have liked!

Well I'm PA'd and just need to mount the camera and connect it to my laptop and I'll be good to go, early for a change too!

• Like 1

Now my normal weather app is forecasting rain in 88 minutes, hopefully it's wrong as it sometimes is and doesn't show up!

No.1 eyeball is showing rain right now here!!!  Or more precisely CCTV.  Windy too!

Edited by Gina

There's a few patchy clouds around, I was frantically trying to figure out why my camera wasn't connecting to APT, turns out if you switch it on, that helps, doh!

• Haha 2

Here In "Le Cotentin" , Manche France. Rain, Hailstone, drizzle clouds weather horrible been the same every evening.. No go SNAFU🤬

• Sad 1

The skies here in Camberley are crystal clear tonight.  This is excellent news for anyone in the area who has a working mount (this doesn't include me).

A new control board should be here on Wednesday.

The sky is "clear" here, but there's a very bright full moon and that's about all I can see, not much visible below 1st mag. Can see the Summer Triangle but that's about it. I think even 3nm will struggle, especially with the moon so close to my target, Melotte 15.

Clouds visible to the west and north, time to finish this run and tear it all down, don't fancy risking getting it wet. Seems the forecast was correct after all...