Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

My thinking too (When I misconnected the DDM), These mounts are expensive, how much is a diode, even one that can cope with 5-10 A?

Edited by DaveS

4 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

How hard would it be for them to stick a diode on the circuit board to prevent this ?

Dave

I've seen some discussion about this and I think that a forwar diode would introduce a voltage drop.  Gina has described another way here on SGL (Crowbar circuit??) which might have been more expensive.  You would think that an expensive bit of kit would have the protection, but c'est la vie.

When the EQ6 came out in about 2006/7 it was about a third of the price of anything comparable in performance - so I suppose that cutting corners was acceptable.  It is still a brilliant performer for the price.

8 minutes ago, DaveS said:

My thinking too (When I misconnected the DDM), These mounts are expensive, how much is a diode, even one that can cope with 5-10 A?

Pennies...

• Like 2

I have used Schottky diodes for this sort of thing.  Much lower volt drop than a normal silicon diode - about 0.3 or 0.4v.  These only cost pennies too, even 10A ones.  Very useful devices.  Even the low current types such as the BAT43 are useful.  Lots on Amazon for instance.

Edited by Gina

That is one common use for them.  There are others.

Didn’t do any astro last night, but I did get my granddaughter over to see the baby seals on the east Norfolk coast today. I forgot to take my Nikon DSLR camera and zoom lens, so this pic was taken with my iPhone through my hand held 15x70 astro binoculars....

48690EF4-A13A-4C86-89E1-A2DCA232B9AB.thumb.jpeg.08d136e1051f2dd8a39b12dd97161e4d.jpeg 

cropped version....

A898B9D6-6DD2-4EC9-B91A-70C2570C4BF6.thumb.jpeg.1584c300b6db802b2cdd6500018e476f.jpeg

Cheers, Geof

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Gina said:

That is one common use for them.  There are others.

I've got a varied selection here, mostly silicon types, but I also have some signal diodes for radio circuits...

• Like 1

Nothing astro doing here tonight!  Solid cloud and rain forecast in an hour or so!

Had a lovely afternoon out at a Hospiscare charity lunch and entertainment for Remembrance Sunday.

The only playing tonight is the neighbours two doors down letting off fireworks. Why??? Guy Fawkes night was last Tuesday.

• Sad 2

I HATE FIREWORKS!!!

/rant /shouting

Edited by Gina

Some idiot in the next street has been letting off fireworks every night since Nov 4th. Sounds like he finally ran out tonight as only a few let off. 

A ban can’t come soon enough. 🤬

• Like 1

I don't mind the "pretty" ones, it's the ones that go off like munitions that gets my ire up. Why? This isn't a war zone and you're not in the army (I hope). I blame overgrown adolescent "machismo" that affects to despise anything seen as "girly"

/rant

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Gina said:

I HATE FIREWORKS!!!

/rant /shouting

11 minutes ago, DaveS said:

I don't mind the "pretty" ones, it's the ones that go off like munitions that gets my ire up. Why? This isn't a war zone and you're not in the army (I hope). I blame overgrown adolescent "machismo" that affects to despise anything seen as "girly"

/rant

What annoys me is that today is Remembrance Sunday and yet people in their back gardens are still letting off fireworks.

Obviously these people have no respect or sense to the brave military servicemen & servicewomen and civilian forces that have sacrificed their lives; whether alive, wounded or died in all war conflicts past and present. 

• Like 2

I guarantee if I burnt my money in my garden, someone would complain, however that's exactly what fireworks are. A waste of money that scare people and animals.

Is it just me that would like to get about a hundred of the big ones and set them all off at once at their front door at three in the morning. 🙂

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Philip R said:

What annoys me is that today is Remembrance Sunday and yet people in their back gardens are still letting off fireworks.

Obviously these people have no respect or sense to the brave military servicemen & servicewomen and civilian forces that have sacrificed their lives; whether alive, wounded or died in all war conflicts past and present. 

Yes, just so. Total disrespect. Time was, if you let off fireworks at any time other than the 5th you'd soon have the local copper knocking on your door.

• Like 2

Lovely clear skies on Friday night in South Wales at 2:30am, when I turned up at my dad's with my brother. I suggested getting my little Tasco scope out of the boot but my bro was less than enthusiastic, having driven for six hours to get to me then another three hours in my car... no accounting for some folks?

According to CO my next slot of green is on Tue. Guess what? It's full moon :mad:.

54 minutes ago, Philip R said:

I remember as a child there was an unwritten rule that no one would shoot on Remembrance Sunday. Whereas even as I type there is some inconsiderate idiot setting of fireworks in the area. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, DaveS said:

According to CO my next slot of green is on Tue. Guess what? It's full moon :mad:.

Just 3 hours of green!  But Tuesday is a lifetime away in forecast terms!!