Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

My mistake was not clouds but the roof tile nebula.

If I had not warmed the cam up and parked the scope from inside I would carry on, but I feel the urgent need to inspect the insides of my eyelids for a few hours.

• Haha 1

Me too!!  Put lens cap on while out there ready to take some unattended darks while I go to sleep.  Goodnight all still out there.  I'm off to bed.

Looks good Gina.... As the full moon is approaching I'm experimenting on image capture but in the way that it would result by using the new "Triad filter" on a OSC DSLR.

• Thanks 1

Heavy rain this morning so it was right that unattended imaging whilst sleeping was out of the question last night and I had to stay up while the roof was open!

Fog and 1 degree early this morning. Still hasn’t hit 2 degress. 

Edited by johninderby

Reading all the posts since I turned in last night has me kicking myself as a pessimistic wimp. should have stayed with it, I might have got some [NII] to go with the HII.

Now going to check my subs, see how many are usable.

• Like 1

It was amazing!!  As soon as you'd posted that you were turning it, the sky cleared and was beautifully clear until (and after) I gave up and went to bed at 4am.  Might have been later that the clear sky reached you.  I was hoping you might be online a few minutes more to catch my reply.  Sorry about that.

When I went out to the observatory to close the roof there was a severe frost and the ground and everything else was icy and hazardous.  I had to be very careful not to slip down!!  Everything in the scope room was covered in ice except the mount and imaging rig which were giving off a small amount of heat.  I was fearful that the roof might be iced up but it wasn't and apart from frozen hands the roof closed fine.  Had a look round the sky and it was clearer than I've seen it for ages.

When I got up at around 10am it was chucking it down with rain - what a difference!

• Like 1

Ah well, maybe my going to bed cleared the sky 😆, in which case I count it as a result. Been chucking down here too. Got a batch of dough proving for my weekly bake, and doing some image work while waiting for the rain to clear.

I got 16 usable subs out of 18, but my Flats made things worse. I should know by now how to take flats, but they never work as advertised. Still, this is 16 out of 18 subs, Bias only Sigma Average stack, DDP, Histo Stretch, Second DDP. No cropping just converted to JPEG.

243056373_HydrogenStackBiasonlyDDPandHist.thumb.jpg.bbbf0d47dbaa8a2e1296552d187ad193.jpg

Yes there are alignment edges, probably from trying two separate runs.

Managed a couple of hours last night. Very cold though. Messiers in Auriga but had to use averted vision last night with the hazy conditions. I then moved on to Gemini for M35, some beautiful coloured stars in Gemini, then to the Hyades, very nice as usual. Marvellous what you can actually see with just 61mm of aperture and 17.5mm Morpheus.

Still drying the kitchen out☹️

Glen.

Had to "crack" the frost seal while closing the roof  early this morning - surprising how noisy it seems at 4am.

Don't think it disturbed the neighbours as we did not have the revengne clattering this morning.

The rain stopped and the sun came out this afternoon but it's raining again!!!  :clouds2:  But at least it's not as bad as oop north!

• Thanks 1

Aye its been a bit grim up here, had to throw another couple of whippets on the fire.

• Haha 1

We've had rain from around 9am and hasn't stopped since, managed to paint the bathroom in the free time. Of course my new tripod arrived today too so here's to lots of cloudy weather, sorry!

• Haha 1

Showers again today and forecast all night as well. But at least it’s just a bit damp. The bad weather always seems to go north or south or east or west of Derby. Nothing much weather wise happens here. 👍🏻

Unlike further north where it’s monsoon time. 

Edited by johninderby

Been a bit of blue sky here. Went to Morrisons this afternoon instead of the morning. Sky was still clear-ish when I looked out but the moon is a bit too close to Melotte 15 for comfort.

I thought you had lot of extra water in the Derwent.

It's been raining solid since midday here.  I was out for a couple of hours and got absolutely soaked through.

It didn't clear till after 11 last night when I was about to go to bed.  Instead I set everything up and took 60m Ha of NGC281.  I also decided to find out what effect the moon would have on the OIII, so I took 2 x 10m subs.  I should have taken a lot more.  Instead, I aimed the mount at the Rosette, and the power lead came out as it slewed.  The power lead has a detachable connector that allows you to reverse the polarity.  You know where this is going, so I won't bore you with the rest.  Anyway, I won't be imaging for a few days!   EQ6's don't cope very well with the power reversed.

This is what I got (scaled to 50%) from 60m Ha and 20m OIII:-

ngc281.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Nice start on the Pacman.  Sorry about the mount!

8 minutes ago, don4l said:

It didn't clear till after 11 last night when I was about to go to bed.  Instead I set everything up and took 60m Ha of NGC281.  I also decided to find out what effect the moon would have on the OIII, so I took 2 x 10m subs.  I should have taken a lot more.  Instead, I aimed the mount at the Rosette, and the power lead came out as it slewed.  The power lead has a detachable connector that allows you to reverse the polarity.  You know where this is going, so I won't bore you with the rest.  Anyway, I won't be imaging for a few days!   EQ6's don't cope very well with the power reversed.

As Gina says, looks like an excellent start on this target.

Where I have similar connectors I tend to tape them together with insulting tape so they can't come apart, but I guess if you need them to then painting an index mark on them might be a good plan?

James

• Like 1

I did that with my DDM60 mount once when I was setting it up (At that time I had to plug red and black connectors into the PSU), wondered why nothing happened until I realised my mistake. Thought I'd blown up a £6.3k mount but it was only a fuse that blew which I could replace from Halfords. Big sigh of relief when it powered up OK.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gina said:

Nice start on the Pacman.  Sorry about the mount!

It was entirely my own fault.  It has become disconnected before, and I always use a multimeter before reconnecting it.  I was standing beside it when it happened, and the connectors were less than a cm apart, and perfectly aligned.  I just pushed it back in without thinking.   Clearly, it had rotated 180 degrees when it popped out.  The smell of burned electronics was awful.

• Sad 1

Ouch, that does sound bad, burning electronics is never a good smell.

3 minutes ago, JamesF said:

As Gina says, looks like an excellent start on this target.

Where I have similar connectors I tend to tape them together with insulting tape so they can't come apart, but I guess if you need them to then painting an index mark on them might be a good plan?

James

I thought of this the last time they came apart - a couple of weeks ago.  I've been aware that my cabling is a mess, but I am not the tidiest or best organised of people.  My strengths lie elsewhere .... I think.

19 minutes ago, don4l said:

EQ6's don't cope very well with the power reversed.

How hard would it be for them to stick a diode on the circuit board to prevent this ?

Dave

3 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Ouch, that does sound bad, burning electronics is never a good smell.

I know.  This is not the first time that an EQ6 owner has done this, which is why I immediately recognised what had happened.

It will cost about £100 to replace the control board, and I will make a more permanent cable.