Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

I'm a bit worried (When am I *not* worried lol) about the sky, it looks a lot brighter than I would expect, even with the moon phase as it is. CO is saying about 70% humidity ATM so not outrageous. Think there may be haze or high cloud.

Cloudy here, else would have tested the latest Sequence Generator 3.1.0.353 with ASTAP as plate solver.. :thumbsup:

Edited by artem

Seem crystal clear here and freezing!  In fact only needing 60% cooling to keep at -30°C.

Doing -35C now with just 84% cooling.  Taking 60s Ha subs.

Agree with the freezing, brr....

Maybe because I'm barely a mile from the coast.

OK first sub at -35°C - 60s stretched and scaled in GIMP

Heart_Light_H_Alpha_60_secs_2019-11-08T19-45-14_022.png.32006a7f2cc29248dacc19078348b71b.png

• Like 2

Sky has cleared quite nicely here, just a few clouds left to the south, tempted to set things up even though everything is soaking wet outside. My original target of NGC 7000 is going behind the house and would require me to setup on the grass, not a great idea right now. I may wait for M42 to rise and go for that, not to sure yet.

• Like 1

I'm waiting for M42 as well...

CO forecast is getting worse rapidly!

1846064584_Screenshotfrom2019-11-0819-57-38.png.864821c9f8ce3539f6575eed122e6851.png

Still clear here - recent sub.  I don't think I've had much better than this.

Heart-35C_Light_H_Alpha_60_secs_2019-11-08T20-03-02_014.png.1a563f25092e3729c00606aa87bae2d1.png

• Like 2

Better here than its been for weeks but still very poor seeing with the mist.....I just need a very long tripod ( like 2 mile high ) and it would be ok.

• Haha 1

Doing some testing.  Reduced the gain from 600 to 480 - still 60s and -34°C.  Stretched and scaled in GIMP.  I think this looks better - less noise but still plenty of signal.

Heart-35Cg480_Light_H_Alpha_60_secs_2019-11-08T20-18-55_001.png.690941db00a7ab7f7d3a16fd2ed22234.png

• Like 3

I had two (At least) badly trailed subs, DDM should not do this. Running the sequence from new, with a new MLPT. For reasons I cannot fathom it tried to do the plate solving exposures with the HII filter (3nm!) instead of the luminance as it should. No wonder there were so few stars in 5 sec.

Will check again after the next sub. Meanwhile I've done a rough PA of the visual set up, just using the constellation pics in the reticule. Should be good enough for visual.

Amazing....... it stopped raining for ten minutes. Raining again.... Standing water in the fields and now 5deg C with some sleet. You guys have it good. I haven’t seen anything for over two weeks. It’s like living under a wet duvet.

Marv

• Sad 1

Well, most of the things I took test exposures of were too close to streetlights or washed out by the moon, so back to trusty M31 which I'm still yet to get any decent usuable data on.

Also reorganized my laptop so the images are sent straight to it and I can stack them and see if they're any good, whereas before I'd have to take the SD card out, go upstairs, wait for them to import on my main PC, then stack them, trying to streamline as much as possible.

Edited by Pullock

Something has gone wrong with the focus.  Thought I could get better focus so ran the autofocus and it seemed to refine the focus from an HCF of 1.57 to 1.22.  But now the normal imaging is producing a hugely out of focus image!!!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just got back from the pool, ate curry and went out to the observatory, where I observed that the sky is now mostly cloudy and dew is freezing on the kit.  The forecast says clear and 4C!  I've closed up for the time being.  I might have another crack if it clears later.

James

I know this doesn't look great but this is my first image capturing some real data from the core and spiral arms of M31, 20 x 20 sec subs @ ISO 400, stacked in DSS with a few tweaks in GIMP. 

M31.png

• Like 2

Autofocus seems to have stopped working so I've used manual remote focus and got reasonably close.  However, strips of cloud seem to have come in!

I think my focus may be slightly off, looks like cloud coming in from the west on sat24, I reckon I have another hour or so before it reaches me.

Lots of high cloud here so I've shut up shop on the imaging rig and just doing a bit of visual. Problem, only the moon is a sensible target (Tried M45 and the Double Cluster, washed out) and my FL / magnification is a bit short. Need a HP EP.

Orion.  Ha  60s  -35°C  Gain 480.

test-35Cg480_Light_H_Alpha_60_secs_2019-11-08T21-59-34_001.png.5e44da9432bd3f2c148bae05270883f6.png

12 minutes ago, Pullock said:

I know this doesn't look great but this is my first image capturing some real data from the core and spiral arms of M31, 20 x 20 sec subs @ ISO 400, stacked in DSS with a few tweaks in GIMP.

It's not awful, either :)

Not sure what the brighter disc is.  Is it possible you have dew somewhere that is picking up some other light source?

James

Looking good Gina, It's just rising over the trees for me should only be another half hour or so but as always when I'm imaging, the neighbours to my rear have turned their LED security light on... 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Gina said:

Orion.  Ha  60s  -35°C  Gain 480.

Cloud is starting to get a bit streaky there, too :(

Not as bad has here though.  I'm still hoping for a late reprieve, but given how cold it is I suspect there's an awful lot of moisture starting to condense out of the air.

James

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JamesF said:

It's not awful, either :)

Not sure what the brighter disc is.  Is it possible you have dew somewhere that is picking up some other light source?

James

Well it's my first run with a dew heater so I hope not, but given it's to the right side, I'm suspecting the pesky moon being the culprit.