Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

KevS

Anybody Playing Tonight?

Posted (edited)

Anybody out there in the astro playground tonight? Quite good skies here at the mo; due to go belly up at about 02:30 according to Clear Outside.

Edited by KevS
Typo

Nothing doing here, sadly.  I have been falling asleep in my chair whilst 3d printing T2 spacers and bahtinov masks :)

Just about to retire for the evening.

James

Clear here in Harrogate... some cloud coming in from the West as I type... doing some O3 on the Dumbell.

Beautifully clear here, but I'm stuck at work for another couple hours. 

• Sad 1

Taking 180s subs on M31 at the moment, but guiding all over the shop. It will all come out in the wash. Neighbours garden lights go off at midnight so only a narrow window. Getting some high wispy cloud here PHD is pinging at me need to move guide star. Oh the joys. Panic Over

Edited by KevS
Panic Over

Imaging the Ghost Nebula eventually, after literally having to remove the RA axis when the belt slipped off the cog.  That prompted a few swear words. 

Had a crack at the Iris Nebula. Clouds were rolling in almost from the get-go, but figured I'd see what I could acquire despite it all. Had a few clear spells and got maybe 20 300s frames total which have passed muster in the processing I've done so far, and not enough blue to get to a full LRGB image. L turned out alright even before I do any deconvolution/DBE though. Packed up around midnight after grabbing some flats.

iris-lum-only.thumb.jpg.74444dcdcf997b18124466ee620a666a.jpg

• Like 2

Went outside at about 11 pm last night to be greeted by a super clear sky with so many stars it was difficult to recognise many of them. Imagine my frustration when I realised my telescope was back at home as we are visiting our daughter in Ireland and because we flew here I couldn’t bring my scope. What do you think the chances are for clear nights when we visit in December with my telescope  🙄

Alas I had set up for more on Stephan's Quintet and Deer Lick but the clouds rolled in just to coincide with astro darkness.

Hoping to be imaging tonight...

I was imaging last night on what I thought was a very clear sky. Turns out a thin high cloud persisted for the latter part.

Tonight looks to be good here and getting better. Will be trying again :)

• Like 1

I'm not saying anything, might put the kibosh on it.

• Haha 1

According to Clear Outside I am clagged in tonight, but glad of the rest to be quite honest.

Clear Skies

K

At the moment it says tonight is clear :) Hopefully it is as I've got a brand new IDAS-D2 2" filter sat in the flattener just itching to get some photons.

I would like an astronomy session tonight, despite the early start for work in the morning. The forecast is only partially clear, though it's totally clear at the moment.

It's been a frustrating last few nights - both Thursday and Friday I set up under clear sky, only to be clouded out before I could do anything. Saturday night the weather radar showed mostly cloud, so I didn't set up. However, most times I looked out it was actually clear.

Regards, Mike.

Keeping fingers crossed, and hoping for a good long session after the aborted runs earlier.

Clear Outside predicts a maximum of 5% cloud cover in my neck of the woods for the current and next 3 hours, but its still 100% overcast.   :dontknow:

Hopefully I'll get a chance to try the 150P Dob I just acquired ?

My forecast cloud has arrived at the party unfashionably early, so nothing doing for me yet.  Still clear from 11pm according to the Met Office, but they're saying it should still be clear now, so there's no reason to believe it will actually happen.

James

Just got back after a five hour drive from Cornwall where we spent the last five weeks and had a couple of clearish nights and loads and loads of cloudy ones.  We get back to Oxfordshire absolutely na .... shattered and it's horizon to horizon clear sky. Now that's so and so's law isn't it? 

Edited by Ouroboros

Weather on CN was predicting clouds and more clouds so I did something quite strange; broke out the 5" frac for a boggle at Jupiter (yes I used one of those strange eyepiece type things); GRS transit at centre disc at 20:00.  Could just about make out the GRS at 120X using a Bader contrast filter. The Galileans were all neatly arranged in a row quite reminiscent of Cassiopeia. Might be wishful thinking but consider I had a hint of Thebe or Metis on the easterly limb. Of course as I didn't set up to photograph we have gin clear skies.  Ho Hum

K. 

Could do with a full nights sleep anyhow.:BangHead:

Currently 100% cloud cover, even though my local specific prediction is for 2%  . 

Looks like the cloud might be moving off now.  I'm going to give it another few minutes to see if it's just a big gap or if it actually looks like I could get some clear sky.

James

Cloud has come over here, but I've been stuffed up by damn stupid rubbish software, so had already closed up.

• Sad 1

Mostly clear here except for the southern horizon where I was trying ti image the Lagoon and Triffid Nebulae, so I've gone for the Cygnus Loop up above. 

A successful "shakedown" session.  New Power Distribution Box tested and fine, plus got live image plate solving working so I can choose a target and reliably slew to it.  That is quite a step forward having changed from a collection of Windows apps to Linux and KStars/Ekos/INDI with RPi image control and capture.

• Like 1

Almost finished a 40 x 120s run on the Iris. Collect some new flats and I'm in bed for 12! Was up till 3 last night messing with the flattener!