Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

Kronos831

And there goes my eyepiece...

Sooo after coming back from holidays(have been gone for a month and a half) i discovered that i had forgotten to use the lens caps to protect my Panaview 32mm from dust....

turns out, its dirty.Me having no idea what a "multiple element lens eyepiece " meant , learnt the hard way. I unscrewed the bottom part of the eyepiece and 2 lenses and a tiny ring came out... not knowing in how to put them in, tried a bunch of different ways, and still the eyepiece view was still bad.(couldnt even focus on daylight objects) after messing with it for a bit 3-5 more lenses came out. Now my 100$ eyepiece is totally screwed up and i have No idea how to fix it. I m panicking so much and i have absolutely no idea what to do. I hope i ddnt screw the lens up...

if anyone thinks they can help me, i m gonna make a system in which you can tell me how to put the lenses back

So lets name the first group of parts depending on their place from left to right : A(The first lens ), B(the ring) and C( The Thrid lens) , now, these i have no idea how to place them correctly (have in mind that Is curved , if it gives you any information)

The next 4 pieces you see are D(The thick ring), E(The big lens) F (the other ring) and G(the final lens)

Here is a picture of each piece from both up side and bottom side

First will be up and second would be down

If anyone could give me instructions to as how i can put everything back together , i would be greatful

(Uploading pictures in a bit)

Posted (edited)

Hi Kronos, have a read through  the thread below which suggests that this is the correct lens arrangement;

image.png.c9f9a6d31e0bbc89812b29b13c9e0272.png

Edited by lenscap
  • Like 3

thanks for the help!, however, when i tried to take a picture of one lens, it slipped of my hand and broke,so i guess there goes my eyepiece

lesson learned:Never take your eyepiece apart...

• Sad 2

14 hours ago, Kronos831 said:

thanks for the help!, however, when i tried to take a picture of one lens, it slipped of my hand and broke,so i guess there goes my eyepiece

lesson learned:Never take your eyepiece apart...

Just be more careful in the future.  The lower barrel often holds the lenses in the upper barrel in place, so remove it upside-down to prevent the upper lenses from falling out.  If you want to remove the upper lenses, support them with a wide dowel and flip it over and slowly remove the upper barrel.  When putting the stack back together, reverse the procedure and slowly lower the upper barrel over the assembled stack to avoid a tipped lens that can jam in the barrel and chip an edge.

Try www.edmundscientificoptics.co.uk . They have a huge supply of lenses, so you might get a suitable replacement.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Kronos831
      Hey guys! Its been 8 months since i ve started the hobby of astronomy.I would like to dig deeper now,i am looking for a book in astrophysics that involves mostly formulas and mathematics.With so many books in the market its hard to defferentiate science books from just books with information about the subject 
      Thanks!
      -Kronos
    • By Matty_C
      Hello all,
      I have just joined and have been looking around, and putting in various searches to find the answer to my question(s).
      I have already found some valuable information, but i can't find a specific answer to a question i have relating to exposure times.
      I have shot the milky way several times before, from a tripod and a wide angle lens. I am aware of and understand the "500 rule" and that worked fine for me at first when i was shooting with my Canon 6D Mark II. When i moved over to the Sony A7III i noticed significant trailing using the same rule and that led me to the NPF rule (Via the photopills app incase people dot know).
      I am heading back to Tenerife once again in about 6 weeks time and want to buy a star tracker so i can get some really detailed images.
      I have done a fair bit of research and in principle, the whole thing doesn't seem to be too daunting or difficult.
      I have purchased the Polar Scope Align Pro app so i can align Polaris as accurately as possible, i will practise putting the unit together and familiarising myself with the different parts etc, but it is the exposure times that i do not understand.
      My best glass is the Carl Ziess 50mm F/1.4 Planar, the 18mm F/2.8 Batis, the Sigma 35mm F/1.4 Art & the IRIX 15mm F/2.4 Blackstone.
      I currently do not own, nor have i ever used a tracker, and I cannot find any information relating to which aperture, ISO and Shutter length any of these focal lengths should or could be shot at.
      Is there anything similar to the 500 rule or NPF rule that relates to using a tracker with varied focal lengths? or is it just a case of stepping the lens down for sharpness and then trial and error?
      Thanks in advance,

Matt.

• By Stargazer33
      Hi, this question has probably been done to death here, but can I ask the community to help me decide on a new camera?
      After struggling with my very glitchy QHY5LIIc camera for a while, as well as having a forced break from astronomy, I have decided to get a new camera. After all the problems I've been having with the QHY, I really don't want to use this manufacturer again. I know lots of people use them quite happily, but once bitten ...
      I have been looking at the ZWO cameras - OSC, as I haven't the time, clear skies, or patients to do LRGB imaging!
      I have about £250 to spend, which I may be able to push to £300 if I wait a bit. ? So I've been looking at the ASI224MC, ASI290MC and the ASI178MC cameras.
      I mainly do planetary/Luna imaging, but I have also dabbled in a bit of DSO and would like to continue with both. I have a C9.25 and a ST80 guide scope. I know these aren't ideal for DSOs but please humour me!
      I think from the specs/information that the 224 is probably the best option. Although the resolution and QE are the worst of the three, the well depth and read noise are the best and the fps is pretty good too.
      I don't know if there are better/cheaper cameras using the same chips, such as Altair's range. I just don't want to make the same mistake that I did with the QHY!n
      Any help/advice you can give will be much appreciated.?
    • By Galaxyfaraway
      This is maybe my 3rd attempt at a galaxy and I am trying to figure out the best way of doing it since I live in a red zone of London suburbs.
      I took this over 2 nights (well, 1.5 really, as my guiding wasn't working and plate solver wouldn't comply after meridian flip...) with my 8" EdgeHD SCT with 0.7x reducer and Atik 490X. Around 20 Luminance subs at 10 mins each  (1x1) and around 15 RGB subs at 5 mins each, but binned 2x2. I use Astrodon filters but also have an LP filter permanently in my image train. 
      Question: should I only use RGB and create a synthetic L channel, given LP, or continue trying with the actual luminance? Gradients are horrible with luminance but RGB doesn't have as much detail (only red filter seems to be more sensitive).
      My stars are all over the place (colours pop out everywhere, in the wrong way), how can I control this better?
      Also, as I wrote, the red filter seems to have much more detail than the rest and when I add all the channels into PS, the red colour just overpowers everything (and in general, how can I keep the star colours as they are and not have the red and blue go crazy - I am not sure the name for it, but it looks like chromatic aberration on steroids).
      Any other general tips would be great...
      Thank in advance. GFA
      PS: I cheated with the core: just changed the temperature to make it look a bit more glowy; for some reason, I barely had any yellow colour from the data...I will post stacked images, if of interest.

• By Kronos831
      Hey guys,im currently on a school trip and brought my celestron firstscope with, tonight we ll  be trying some dsos and maybe saturn and jupiter,the telescope itself is not collimated and dirty (on the mirrors)So I wanted to ask.in the scope, there is no primary adjustment screws,only the ones to take it off .Does that mean that its set , allowing me to take it off wash it and back on without having to recollimate the primary?
      Thanks
      Kronos

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.