Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dark Seahorse (with some fireworks)

mftoet

This is my second and last image from my stay at @ollypenrice's 'Les Granges' last week. I didn't spent as much capturing time on it as I did on the Cocoon Nebula (which was actually the only subject on my agenda for that week), but fast optics help a lot to get a good S/N-ratio in a mere 4 hours of acquisition time. I could have added another 7 hours if I hadn't break down my equipment on the evening of the last night. The skies of course cleared when the equipment was packed in the car (NEVER trust the weather forecast...).

This is the Seahorse Nebula (B150) east of the Fireworks Galaxy (NGC 6946) and open cluster NGC 6939. On the far left a red wisp of the Flying Bat Nebula (Sh2-129) can be seen. I hope to continue photographing splendid object in the Cepheus area next year.

Acquisitions details can be found on my website.

i-WdgZV6t-5K.jpg

After a night of deep sky astrophotography and some visual observing, a very old crescent moon came to say good morning. I've always loved the ashen light of a young or old moon. A 1 second exposure with the Epsilon-180ED was all it took to capture it.

i-khPKSZf-X5.jpg  

• Like 20

You know its a gret picture when you immediately see if you can replicate it as far as FOV goes.  YES.  I can't wait to try.  amazing image.  Well Olly.....I wont say anything about DSLRs.....other than ....see?  I know the sky is dark and the imager is a master, but it surely can be done.  I often struggle with my decision to go CCD (Then again I struggle with every decision).  The one caveat is...maybe it can't be done in Bortle 6.  Hopefully someone will suggest otehrwise.

Rodd