SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Looks like my Xagyl filter wheel has died :(

I couldn't get this to work tonight, partly because of fun and games trying to persuade INDI which serial port was the mount and which was the filter wheel.  Swapped to a ZWO filter wheel in the end, but INDI doesn't like that either :(

Anyhow... having taken the wheel apart after trying it on my desk it looks as though the motor is dying.  It will barely turn and even when it does it's not turning smoothly, even after I removed the carousel completely.  I've emailed Xagyl to see if I can get a replacement motor, but otherwise I think it might be dead.  In which case I shall probably see if I can resurrect it using an Arduino to control a new stepper motor or something like that.

James

INDI is perfectly happy with my ZWO EFWmini.  The problem with your FW motor is probably gummed up lubricant.  If it's a DC commutator motor it may be muck on the commutator or brushes or the brushes may be worn or want adjusting.

Here's the bits of electrickery:

dead-xagyl-01.jpg

Unfortunately there's nothing whatsoever to identify the motor.  I'd guess it's a 15mm x 6mm diameter 5VDC coreless motor, but that's about the limit of it at the moment.  Looks like I can get something of that description from China in three weeks or so for loose change, so perhaps it's worth a go.  There's not a lot to lose really.

James

Ugh.  It looks like there's some tiny nylon planetary reduction gear set on the end of the shaft that I'd never be able to reassemble.  I can barely even see it!  It could even be the nylon that has failed due to age.  Unless Xagyl can supply the complete motor and worm unit I think this filter wheel is bereft of live, ceased to be, pushing up the daisies :(

James

That should be a 3v coreless motor. It can operate up to 5v. The biggest problem is that, without markings, there is no way to tell the speed of the motor, and it can vary widely, from 8000 RPM up to 80000 RPM... On the other hand they are so cheap ($2-$4), you can get a bunch of them and try to see what fits. 

6 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Ugh.  It looks like there's some tiny nylon planetary reduction gear set on the end of the shaft that I'd never be able to reassemble.  I can barely even see it!  It could even be the nylon that has failed due to age.  Unless Xagyl can supply the complete motor and worm unit I think this filter wheel is bereft of live, ceased to be, pushing up the daisies :(

James

Yeah, it looks like this will be the solution. 😟

• 4 weeks later...
On 31/08/2019 at 06:31, JamesF said:

Here's the bits of electrickery:

dead-xagyl-01.jpg

Unfortunately there's nothing whatsoever to identify the motor.  I'd guess it's a 15mm x 6mm diameter 5VDC coreless motor, but that's about the limit of it at the moment.  Looks like I can get something of that description from China in three weeks or so for loose change, so perhaps it's worth a go.  There's not a lot to lose really.

James

Hi James

Xagyl Astro was purchased by Starfield Optics late last year.   I happen to own Starfield Optics, and I can send you out a new motor.  If you PM me I can get some details.

If anyone else need support for XAGYL please let me know.

Thanks

steve,

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, SM1978 said:

Hi James

Xagyl Astro was purchased by Starfield Optics late last year.   I happen to own Starfield Optics, and I can send you out a new motor.  If you PM me I can get some details.

If anyone else need support for XAGYL please let me know.

Thanks

steve,

What a good Company well done Steve I like that in a Company  going the extra mile to help out. No if's or buts. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SM1978 said:

Hi James

That's very kind of you, Steve.  Thank you.  I'll drop you a PM.

James