Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help identifying an object

hi, was out with my imaging rig earlier and between bouts of pulling my hair out i saw a really bright object to the left of arcturus at about 20:45-10:50ish. it was super bright and moved slowly and horizontally to the south. at first i thought it was the ISS but it was going in the wrong direction. from what i saw it was really bright, like venus kinda bright maybe brighter and faded over 10-15 secs

any ideas?

I just had some fun recreating the scene of the crime on Stellarium.

Initial forensic results indicate the following perpetrators were in the vicinity at the time of the alleged offence:

• STSAT 2 and STSAT 3
  • NOSS 8

However our current prime suspect based on the modus operandii and their history of bright flaring in and around astrophoto's is clearly:

image.thumb.png.f4756c228475e59225cb89dd6b83416d.png

Which is interesting as I thought they'd switched them all off and decommissioned them but I guess they must still be up there living a life of crime. 

Edit:

I Just checked the Satflare forum and it looks like for some reason I69 is indeed still up there causing trouble.

Take'em away boys! 👮‍♀️👨‍⚖️🚓

Edited by Mr niall
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mr niall said:

I just had some fun recreating the scene of the crime on Stellarium.

Initial forensic results indicate the following perpetrators were in the vicinity at the time of the alleged offence:

• STSAT 2 and STSAT 3
  • NOSS 8

However our current prime suspect based on the modus operandii and their history of bright flaring in and around astrophoto's is clearly:

image.thumb.png.f4756c228475e59225cb89dd6b83416d.png

Which is interesting as I thought they'd switched them all off and decommissioned them but I guess they must still be up there living a life of crime. 

what time was that pass?

NOS 3-1 kinda lines up time wise and position better. but no idea how bright they can get. caught my eye due to it being so very bright

5 hours ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

what time was that pass?

NOS 3-1 kinda lines up time wise and position better. but no idea how bright they can get. caught my eye due to it being so very bright

Yeah It could have been, I did some more investigating and they seem to like a good old flare so if you think it matches up it may have been one of them too.

Iridium pass was 10pm

1 hour ago, Mr niall said:

Yeah It could have been, I did some more investigating and they seem to like a good old flare so if you think it matches up it may have been one of them too.

Iridium pass was 10pm

was after the iridium pass, was between 10:45-10:50. watched it, and made my way inside to make a coffee and remembered to check time and it was 22:51

was defo something special to see. brightest sat ive seen.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

was after the iridium pass, was between 10:45-10:50. watched it, and made my way inside to make a coffee and remembered to check time and it was 22:51

was defo something special to see. brightest sat ive seen.  

The case continues....

might get a good sequel out of this. “Iridium 69, wrongly convicted of a crime it didn’t commit, escaped to the Los Angeles underground. Now it survives as...” oh wait that’s already been done.