Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Why Do I Bother?

I used to do deep sky imaging a few years back. My last image of M31 was in 2015. Increasing light pollution, increasingly bad weather, change of circumstances etc caused me to stop. A few weeks ago I took my 8X32 binos out for a change and enjoyed the wide field view of the sky. I decided to buy a new large bino. Today the Opticron Oregon 20X80 from FLO arrived. Guess what , the forecast for the weekend and most of next week is rain, strong wind and clouds. Manchester weather, luvely isn't it?

A.G

Only a matter of time and then you’ll get some great views. I just got some 25 x 70 binos for viewing due to similar circumstances. Just peeked at Jupiter with attending moons through them and got the best ever bino view I've ever seen of the planet, so hoping to nab some fuzzies later on if possible.

The good thing about having a pair of larger aperture binoculars, is that you can nip out and use them when there is a chance to do so and you can take them to places that might not be so possible with a scope. They can keep you involved. 

• Like 1

I get maybe 2-3 deep sky trips per year. One of these opportunities is an annual summer camping trip, either to Scotland or down to Devon / Cornwall.  We just returned from this trip and I got just one night out of seven....same last year too.  I recently downgraded the size of my ‘camping’ scope as I couldn’t justify the space taken up for just one clear night!

You have been seriously unlucky.  I'm only a few miles on the Somerset side of the Devon border (close to the edge of Exmoor) and I've had several nights outside in the last week.  A couple with exceptionally good seeing.

James

Edited by JamesF

19 hours ago, JamesF said:

You have been seriously unlucky.  I'm only a few miles on the Somerset side of the Devon border (close to the edge of Exmoor) and I've had several nights outside in the last week.  A couple with exceptionally good seeing.

James

This year we were in Galloway Forest Park, Scotland.  Lovely place. Sounds like I should have headed south for Astro though...

Well, last Saturday night the clouds broke around 8 pm and I managed to get the 20X80s out. Jupiter was the first target. Quite low now and just over the neighbors roof. The disc was lovely and six moons visible. The four Galilean ones in a straight line, two on each side with Jupiter  like a diamond in the middle and two others, one at 12 O'clock and the other at 7. It was a beautiful sight. Later on as my pupils fully dilated I could just make out the impression of a dark band north of the equator. I was in heaven.   I then turned to Mizar and the double with Alcor was nice but tonight a miracle happened. The Opticron managed to split the Mizar A and B with clear black space between them. I first thought that the moisture in the air was playing havoc with seeing as Mizar itself looked quite spiky but I just touched the focus, adjusted my eyes and there it was Mizar B. Dimmer than Mizar for sure but still bright. Andromeda Galaxy was the next target and it was easy to find it. A bight core, like a star, surrounded by ever decreasing in intensity of a nebula like cloud. As the last target I swung for M81. Very difficult to find even with a star map. I managed to see something with averted vision but I think for this one true dark sky and no LP is required. So far I have had two short sessions with the Opticron and I am very impressed with it. Considering the price I rate it as outstanding. It is by no means perfect but for what I paid for it from FLO it is punching well above its weight. I only wish that this new menace that is unnecessary security lighting around my house would go away. It has become a fashion to light up ones back garden as a football ground. One of the main reasons why I stopped deep sky imaging. Now I have a pair of Pentax 12x50 from FLO on the way, for wide viewing, and I ust pray that someone would turn those damned lights off.

Edited by lensman57
Typo error
  • Like 2

Nice report there. I've often looked at the 80mm Opticrons as the 70mm were also great for the money.

Was that session with a tripod or handheld.....or both. 

I'd also be interested in how you get on with the 12x50s. I was close to getting a pair of 8x30 Pentax recently....

Mark

On 08/09/2019 at 09:27, mark81 said:

Nice report there. I've often looked at the 80mm Opticrons as the 70mm were also great for the money.

Was that session with a tripod or handheld.....or both. 

I'd also be interested in how you get on with the 12x50s. I was close to getting a pair of 8x30 Pentax recently....

Mark

Sorry for the late reply. The binos were securely mounted on top of my Gitzo Studex ( a relic from my more serious photographic past ) and a Manfroto gearhead . LOL, the center pillar for the Gitzo alone costs 3x as much as the Opticrons. 

• Like 1