Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bresser Messier 10” Dob

32 minutes ago, JOC said:

Nice scope, my only thought about the legs is what stops them sinking into the grass if things get a bit soft outside?  This year, I agree, most lawns are like concrete, but that isn't always the cse.

The feet are about the same size as the standard little rubber feet that come with the scope. You could always use a set of regular anti-vibration pads on soft ground though.

B2F51FC0-1811-4E09-8970-CC0E248F2C07.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, johninderby said:

You can just see the 9 point primary mirror supports. 

This cell also looks excellent, I'm wondering if all the nylon tips are supposed to contact the mirror, I see one, maybe two that aren't but they could be for something else? I had an OOUK that had some tips not contacting.

Bresser put some thought into this scope IMHO.

Maybe acetate sheet doesn’t make such good flocking. 🤔

😁😁😁😁😁😁

Acetate liner made for the tube. Now to pull it out and apply the FLO flocking material and slide it back in place. 

49958340-3AE5-4F64-B45A-AF97C4E904E2.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Wall to wall thin cloud and nothing visable except the moon. However good enough to adjust the finder and look at the moon through the thin cloud. Being a full moon didn’t matter too much about the cloud. Surprisingly sharp image given the thin cloud. More first cloud than first light. 😁

The bearing movement Good. Firm enough to stay where it’s put but easy to move with with no sign of sticktion.

Had to use the drawtube extension with any eyepiece but as it’s a solid screw on extension no problem with sagging etc. Quite a tall setup though. Infocus is never going to be a problem. 🙂

4789CE16-2EE7-4A2C-9B5B-FEA51FA4B85E.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Thanks 1

Lot of cloud and mist around but at least the moon was visible so spent some time observing it. Was impressed by how sharp and contrasty the image was and just how much detail could be seen. The 7mm Nirvana and neodymium worked really well. Looking forward to trying the Badder Morpheous 4.5mm when it arrives. 🙂

Managed to carry out a star test through a break in the clouds as well. Talk about a text book airy disk. The rings were evenly spaced and very clearly defined and showed no signs of any aberations. Can’t ever remember having a star test this well defined with the old 250px. 

The TS Concenter and Hotech laser combo worked perfectly. The Concenter made getting the secondary spot on straight forward and the Hotech finished the job. Collimation is so close to perfect didn’t bother fine tuning it during the star test.

All in all impressed with the way the scope performed tonight even though there wasn’t much to look at other than the moon.  👍🏻

Edited by johninderby

• 2 months later...

Set of twin wheel braked castors arrived today to replace the short legs I had fitted earlier.. Fortunately the castor mounting hole spacing was the same as the legs so no new holes needed. 👍🏻

Much easier to be able to roll the dob around than to have to lift it. 🙂

Also fitted the new Rigel QuikFinder.

063164C9-808E-4FDA-9FF5-F1DD1C11986B.jpeg

D3845CF5-D639-4CC6-B20C-7309D04438E2.jpeg

8B707E1E-E1D5-46B4-B01B-6F1532BD941F.jpeg

84694F33-0932-4CD5-A01B-FBF8E5D8FC5F.jpeg

8433A92C-DA7B-4FE8-A055-E9E48FBFD52B.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 7

• 3 months later...

I've always liked these Bresser dobsonian. Great move to go away from those tiny rounded altitude bearings, as used by Skywatcher or Revelation, and instead adopt proper altitude bearings as in larger dobsons. 

Nice list of mods too! Congratulations :) 

• 7 months later...
On 10/09/2019 at 11:48, johninderby said:

Getting ready to flock the dob.

A few pics of the removed parts. The secondary holder is matt black and the sides of the morror have been blacked as well. You can just see the 9 point primary mirror supports. 

4FFF081A-5909-43AB-B522-E4AD94FD2340.jpeg

D79828B8-64B4-4A09-8795-CDC09DEC9F23.jpeg

47B21FBE-F3EA-4E4A-9257-3DB2092A3A11.jpeg

E63D8536-9E17-467B-A92D-74BCF06F831F.jpeg

5FFE8852-51C3-452F-B349-51BE679D92A1.jpeg

those nylon tips should contact the mirror for sure, you could get astigmatism

On 07/12/2019 at 15:22, johninderby said:

Set of twin wheel braked castors arrived today to replace the short legs I had fitted earlier.. Fortunately the castor mounting hole spacing was the same as the legs so no new holes needed. 👍🏻

Where did you get the castors from and how easy to install?  I thought putting a bolt through might interfere with the rotation.

• Like 1

Bearingboys has good prices on castors. At least two of the castors need to be the locking type.

https://www.bearingboys.co.uk/Grey-NonMarking-Rubber-3976-c

Sometimes you can find deals on Amazon as well although usualy sold as a set of four with two locking.

Get the 4 bolt top plate type and use countersunk screws as the screws will then sit flush with the surface of the base. Nyloc nuts used on the bottom. I have gone for 100mm castors on my new base as it makes it easier to wheel around.

9E61F093-A7E3-480E-B44A-7E3899541205.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Wouldn’t bother with the flocking. The standard rubberised coating inside is pretty good and didn’t notice much difference after flocking. Had the flocking so thought I’d try it.

BTW the SW dobs have a thin coat of a sort of black paint that isn’t very anti reflective at all and do benefit from flocking.

Edited by johninderby
  • Thanks 1