Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

jjosefsen

[Solved]Could this be an issue with my Oiii filter?

Hi,

I'm working with some recent data of a new(ish) camera, and my Ha data is pretty good, but the oiii has these strange artifacts around the borders.

If I use any kind of local normalization then it pretty much ruins most of the image, as you can see below..

First the Ha:

image.thumb.png.6511d1cc8b3cfe0ac4553d3d3035a39b.png

Oiii with local normalization:

image.thumb.png.0a1b5603fe3e94cab1c2a019e1fe5872.png

oiii local normalization map, see how it fits with the artifacts:

image.thumb.png.4b8cf8f1bddc44d94c94df26a9fc0887.png

Oiii without any local normalization:

image.thumb.png.fd964cc67de039692a8a2a0bb35bb6c4.png

These edge artifacts, could they be related to a bad filter or is it a processing artifact, has anyone seen anything similar?

I am using Astro Pixel Processor for calibration and stacking.. Im kind of stumped on this one, and I am going to yank out the Oiii filter this weekend to have a looksie.

Edited by jjosefsen
  • Like 1

It looks more like a stacking artifact due to field rotation during your imaging session. 

Have you tried cropping the edges before running normalisation? 

3 hours ago, Xplode said:

Can you see any of it on your raw images?

No I can't. At least not in a normal stretch.

31 minutes ago, geordie85 said:

It looks more like a stacking artifact due to field rotation during your imaging session. 

Have you tried cropping the edges before running normalisation? 

No - but I suppose I can do that somehow as a batch process.

It is just strange that it doesn't happen in my Ha stack as well.

Problem solved!

It was due to stacking artifacts introduced by APP.

When those were resolved, the normalization issues were gone. :)

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now