Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lat long question

Marvin Jenkins

I have had a couple of aborted sessions recently due to my neq5 mount not getting even remotely close to star targets whilst doing three star alignment. When I mean not close, I am talking a couple of constellations away.

To remove the idiot effect coupled with the obvious you dumb idiot aspect I went back to zero as many of these problems stem from simple stuff like not imputing the date American style etc.

I took the mount and OTA out in the day and set up the polar scope cross hairs on the center point of a very distant pylon. Added the OTA and aligned that to the same point and aligned the spotter scope for good measure.

Moved the mount to face north and levelled using the bubble. Waited for darkness. Identified Polaris and adjusted so it was in the cross hairs, then looked through the OTA to ensure the same and finally the spotter scope, all good.

Oriented the RA so the zero was TDC and looked at synscan app on my phone. Coordinates read 44, 14’ N 00, 58 E. I check that the read out for reticle position is northern hemisphere. 

Do polar alignment, power up synscan unit, I imput all data correctly. Start 3 star alignment. First star degrees off, second star same again, third star even farther away! Got me thinking about long lat....

I have a long long lat finder on my iPad which uses google earth. I can pinpoint a spot in my garden that I view from and the Lat is 44.2378 N Long 0.9689. W

My question is, why is there a big difference in longitude between google earth and the gps reading on my phone and is this causing the problem? Which one do I use?

If it’s the last one should it read 00’0968 ?

Any help much appreciated Marvin

Both results are the same, just expressed in different units.

44.2378 N is in decimal degrees and is the same as 44 degrees 14minutes, 16 seconds N.

Likewise 0.9689 W is the same as 0 degrees, 58 minutes, 8 seconds W

Astro equipment usually use the deg, min, sec system so the synscan app reading is the one you want to use directly. If you want to use the Google Earth decimal reading you'll need to convert it first.

Here's an online calculator to do the conversion with an explanation.

Alan

Edited by symmetal
  • Like 1

Thanks both of you that has cleared up that conundrum. Thank you Alan for the online calculator.

Steve, I think the iPad is using the WiFi location, but I have the int app on my phone with gps like yours so I will go with that in the future.

Hopefully no more alignment issues. Marv

Hi old_eyes, 

The Google Maps does it.  Simply type the address and press longer red drowing pin. I used my phone now, but PC version gives you more. 

Tomasz 

Screenshot_20190830-073545.png

Edited by Vroobel