Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

MOON WELL PLACED FOR THREE MORNINGS AT KELLING - has anyone else noticed this?

Like most people I go to Kelling for the dark skies, and get my deep sky 'fix' to last me until the following years star party.  As an avid Lunar observing I do lament the fact though that I can't observe the Moon as of course the sky party is scheduled exactly to avoid the Moon.  I've seen the odd sliver of the Moon but only a thin crescent if anything at all.

However, this year there are at least three good mornings (possibly four) when the Moon is well placed - I can't remember anytime in the years I've been going that the Moon is so visible.  I only noticed it a few days ago when I checked.

The early mornings are very favourable for lunar observing on the mornings of September 24th, 25th and 26th, even the 27th is fine if you're really a lunar enthusiast!  The illumination on these three morning is as follows, compared with the illumination for the equivalent days after last quarter for August.

So September 24th and August 25th are both two days after last quarter, and are for 03.00 am for each morning.  I've also added moonrise times for the September dates.

September 24th   -   29%      moonrise 00.27                    August 25th   -   35%

September 25th   -   19%      moonrise 01.42                     August 26th   -   25%

September 26th   -   10%      moonrise 03.06                   August 27th   -   16%

September 27th   -   4.3%     moonrise 04.35

To give you an idea of what the % of illumination look like.  The three images I took below were taken on August 25, 26th and 27th with the illumination as above.  I was clouded out on 28th.  On September 24th  (for Oakworth, (slightly different for Kelling of course) astronomical dawn is at 04.55 am and civil dawn is 06.21.

I have to confess I am rather pleased the Moon will be on show, I hope all the folks who attend the star party only for deep sky won't begrudge me my lunar views this year weather permitting.  As I said at the start, in my memory this is rather rare at this event. 

I was going to title this thread 'YIPEEEEE, MOON VISABLE AT KELLING STAR PARTY' - I didn't as I can't afford to take minders along to protect me for the duration of the event.

I reserve the right not to be held to account if I have made any errors in the data in this post!!

1058429994_P8251942MoonWanningGibbousmono.thumb.jpg.4c486c801bb388ec3e48bff81f84e99c.jpg   906519404_P8262173AMoonWanCrescGASSENDI120ED.thumb.jpg.83e23422e10655d05c89678fd8a59814.jpg385216204_P8272453AMoon15WanCresc120ED.thumb.jpg.31766144a4d443f5bc9af52ae85227dd.jpg

EDIT - It struck me that I have always stayed at Kelling for four nights, from the Thursday to Sunday covering the main weekend.  This year we are staying for the full week.  I suppose when Kelling was over two weeks the Moon must have been fairly well visible at some time.  Still, it must be at  least less likely to have a decent size now that the event runs just one week. 

Edited by paulastro
  • Like 1