Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pickering Triangle in HOO

emyliano2000

I finally managed to finish capturing and processing this target. It was on my list for quite a while and YES, I did it 😁

30x600sec for each of the Ha and Oiii

I love the fov of the QHY183M with the AT106

What do you think? 

EmilLRM_EXPORT_540762567854093_20190828_094439637.thumb.jpeg.0b2090ee81aa93414dde013315ec6f14.jpeg

• Like 16

I know you were trying to pull as much nebulosity as possible but the background doesn't shine like that, what program do you use for processing? It also looks like your flat didn't apply correctly as the edges are much brighter than the center of the image. Overall the data looks really nice so it would be shame if you didn't give the processing another go :) 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, john2y said:

I know you were trying to pull as much nebulosity as possible but the background doesn't shine like that, what program do you use for processing? It also looks like your flat didn't apply correctly as the edges are much brighter than the center of the image. Overall the data looks really nice so it would be shame if you didn't give the processing another go :) 

Thanks for the comment Johny. For processing I'm using mostly photoshop.

This one was stacked, calibrated and aligned in pixinsight (my knowledge doesn't go much beyond that). After stacking I aligned the channels then assigned the Ha to Red and Oiii to green and blue (also in pixinsight), applied ABE and with a mask on (not very good with them) I applied Multiscale Liniar Transform to the image.

After that I put it in photoshop and did all the rest.

Just wondering about the flats. The last batch of Oiii was shot on Friday but having to go away the following moring I didn't have time to shoot the flats until yesterday. Nothing was changed in the imaging train but I'm wondering if the focus point shifted in the mean time. Was pretty hot during the break.

Also my Oiii flats are 13sec long, does it matter? I'm using dark flats for the flats.

Emil

39 minutes ago, dave_galera said:

Maybe you could just darken the background a bit

I'm at work now and only have Lightroom on my phone but I pulled the blacks slider down a bit. Does it look better?

LRM_EXPORT_548729795712702_20190828_132906066.thumb.jpeg.e532e48a9e08eb85778004704cdd517f.jpeg

Edited by emyliano2000

Sorry for tinkering with your data, I just wanna show what I ment, background does shine, it's not pitch black but it also doesn't shine like the nebula in front of it. If you look at your image, the background in the center is black but outside isn't. I did manually DBE (and yes there was a gradient from the center to the edges) and then just applied inverted luminance mask and using curves I slightly lowerd saturation and brightness of the background. It's jpeg so it's not ideal but you get the gist. 

pokus_DBE.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, john2y said:

Sorry for tinkering with your data, I just wanna show what I ment, background does shine, it's not pitch black but it also doesn't shine like the nebula in front of it. If you look at your image, the background in the center is black but outside isn't. I did manually DBE (and yes there was a gradient from the center to the edges) and then just applied inverted luminance mask and using curves I slightly lowerd saturation and brightness of the background. It's jpeg so it's not ideal but you get the gist. 

pokus_DBE.jpg

It's no problem. The black in the center was probably caused by me not applying GradX in photoshop properly. Maybe I should've done a few iterations of DBE instead of only one ABE.

When I get home I could share the stacked fit file and you can have a play with that. With the jpeg it looks like you lost some of the nebulosity.

Emil

On 28/08/2019 at 14:46, emyliano2000 said:

It's no problem. The black in the center was probably caused by me not applying GradX in photoshop properly. Maybe I should've done a few iterations of DBE instead of only one ABE.

When I get home I could share the stacked fit file and you can have a play with that. With the jpeg it looks like you lost some of the nebulosity.

Emil

I'll gladly have a look at that 😉 

This is what I've come up with, I've never seen data so clean, so well applied flat and everything and yet I had trouble denoising it which quite suprises me and I don't know the cause of that. I started by resampling it by 50% then manual DBE, TGVDenoise, LRGB combination as HOO, Masked stretch, Lum mask and playing with curves, Range mask and another curves and then ACDNR for smothing the background. 

What filters are you using, they seem really good. I'm asking as I use ZWO and they're not the best. 

veil.thumb.jpg.994dc1e8377605575eaf15773d4d982c.jpg

22 hours ago, john2y said:

This is what I've come up with, I've never seen data so clean, so well applied flat and everything and yet I had trouble denoising it which quite suprises me and I don't know the cause of that. I started by resampling it by 50% then manual DBE, TGVDenoise, LRGB combination as HOO, Masked stretch, Lum mask and playing with curves, Range mask and another curves and then ACDNR for smothing the background. 

What filters are you using, they seem really good. I'm asking as I use ZWO and they're not the best. 

veil.thumb.jpg.994dc1e8377605575eaf15773d4d982c.jpg

Johny, that looks great. My processing skills are not the best and I still have a lot to learn. I'm using the baader filters.

I'm not sure where the noise comes from to be honest.

Emil

Thank you for the compliment but it wouldn't be possible without such good data 😉  about the noise, try cutting the exposures a little, it might be that but I don't think so, I use asi1600mm and I do 8min exposures but as I've said the data looks solid so you'll just need some experimenting, you could also add more data, that always helps if you're not running 40 hours already 😄 . About the processing it just takes practise, I usually try to process at least one image per day, even the same one over and over. Practise makes it best 🙂 

On 01/09/2019 at 18:57, john2y said:

Practise makes it best 🙂 

I had another go at it but this time I combined them in AstroPixel Processor, I tweaked it a bit there and then moved it into photoshop and did everything else.

989859787_PickeringTriangle-HOO-PixAPP-Ps.thumb.png.b984f35b462f23b88085c9700db86a6a.png

Edited by emyliano2000
  • Like 2