Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Moving to Newport and hope to get involved in astronomy

choochoo_baloo

Hello all,

I'm about to move to Newport for a new career. I've been slowly learning astrophotography over the past few years, and would like to continue learning with fellow amateur astronomers.

Do you all meet semi-regularly, or are there established societies you can recommend?

Thanks in advance.

• Like 2

Congrats on the new career! Im just up the road in Monmouth so also interested in any replies as would be good to find out whats going on near here.

SGL Star Party is only about an hour away in Hereford, and I think there is AstroCamp too in Cwmdu, Brecon Beacons twice a year but I haven't been to that one yet so can't comment much. Should be able to find it on Facebook though.

On 28/08/2019 at 10:02, upahill said:

Congrats on the new career! Im just up the road in Monmouth so also interested in any replies as would be good to find out whats going on near here.

SGL Star Party is only about an hour away in Hereford, and I think there is AstroCamp too in Cwmdu, Brecon Beacons twice a year but I haven't been to that one yet so can't comment much. Should be able to find it on Facebook though.

Thanks for the reply. I'm happy to meet with a few others during the autumn to do our own star party thing one night or so. I will miss a semi-rural location!

The Cardiff society looks pretty established?

Hi both - the S Wales group used to meet in the Fox Hunters car park above Blaenavon which is on the edge of the Beacons - it was a really friendly and informal meet. Having not been involved for the last few years I'm not sure whether its still happening but I'd keep your eyes open in the group forum and check it out regularly. We're just entering the beginning of the season for many of us so I'm sure things will pick up shortly - I'm determined to get back involved this year so hopefully will catch up later in the Autumn.

• Like 1

Hi Steve, Upahill & Choo_choo_baloo,

The South Wales Group which meets at the Fox Hunters car park has been quiet for awhile, but the site is a good one.  For most of us its a long drive though, and many times I've made the 60+ mile round trip only to be disappointed, along with others, by the failed forecasts.  Got to say quite honestly, the advanced scheduling of meets up at the site seems pointless considering the fluctuations in the UK weather, and I've found posting short notice meets also to be challenging based on the unreliability of even the "area specific" Astronomy forecasts. If anyone is near Blaenavon, it would be great if you could post in the early evening the actual weather conditions as you see it for those of us watching SGL.  I think this would give a great boost to help the South Wales Group to recover from Astronomical hibernation.

Although the South Wales group hasn't been active for some time, it would be nice to catch up with familiar faces and meet some new observers.  Glad to see your back Steve.  :smile:

Cheers Everyone !

• Haha 1

...and there is the South Wales Astronomy Group (SWAG)  star party which is held in the spring.

It is at Pencelli Caravan & Camping Park, in the Brecon Beacons National Dark Skies Reserve.

There is also a Star party that a few members of SWAG attend which is unorganised and usually at short notice.

Keep an eye open on here for future details. 

On 04/09/2019 at 10:16, L8-Nite said:

Hi Steve, Upahill & Choo_choo_baloo,

The South Wales Group which meets at the Fox Hunters car park has been quiet for awhile, but the site is a good one.  For most of us its a long drive though, and many times I've made the 60+ mile round trip only to be disappointed, along with others, by the failed forecasts.  Got to say quite honestly, the advanced scheduling of meets up at the site seems pointless considering the fluctuations in the UK weather, and I've found posting short notice meets also to be challenging based on the unreliability of even the "area specific" Astronomy forecasts. If anyone is near Blaenavon, it would be great if you could post in the early evening the actual weather conditions as you see it for those of us watching SGL.  I think this would give a great boost to help the South Wales Group to recover from Astronomical hibernation.

Although the South Wales group hasn't been active for some time, it would be nice to catch up with familiar faces and meet some new observers.  Glad to see your back Steve.  :smile:

Cheers Everyone !

Thanks Mike- I'm full of good intentions - like you said would be great to meet up again - the meets at Blaenavon were brilliant would be great if we could get some enthusiasm going for it again - fingers crossed I'll catch up soon

• Like 1

• 2 months later...