Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help me find M13... please

1 hour ago, markse68 said:

It was very frustrating indeed but it’s true what they say- once you find these things the first time it gets much easier. I guess it’s knowing what to look for and remembering roughly where but I’ve had no issues finding it very quickly every night since. Also found Dumbell but it’s just an ill defined quite large grey blur. I think I definitely need an oiii filter and darker skies as I can’t see a trace of the Veil or North America...

Another thing thats worth keeping in mind is that it is well worth re-visiting these targets quite often and spending a little time studying them.

As you become more familliar with them you start to notice details that were not initially seen. With the Dumbell Nebula, using some magnification (but no filter) to boost it's scale in the eyepiece can enable the 12th magnitude central star to pop into view plus some other foreground stars across the surface of the nebula. With the Ring Nebula you start to see the uneven brightness and twisted appearance around it's rim. There is a small galaxy (NGC 6207) that can be seen in the same low power field of view as Messier 13 if you look carefully enough. The bright gas and dust clouds around the Trapezium in the Orion Nebula can show a mottled texture and is known as the "Hygenian Region" and other features such as the dark "fishes mouth" and "the cliff" can be picked out with care around the heart of M42. There are many other such examples.

These familliar objects all have these secret details that they don't give up too easily :smiley:

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

glad u saw it im hoping you didn't by accident find the dimmer GC in herclus

reason I say this is m13 is pretty bright for a dso however I don't know what scope you are using in your LP.I know your LP must be the same as mine a heavy white zone yet I can see it easly. but norm I use 8" to 12" in the city to over come the citys LP.

so double check its was m13 ant not the other GC.

also if you don't have it already I was start this by saying get a rigel or a telrad finder. these project a bulls eyes and then its easy to put halfway between those stars and 98% the object is in the Ep fov. I almost never have to manally move to find in a low power ep. cept for the odd time where I just gradually just scan the sky as I aknow im just an inch or 2 away if its not in the ep. works everytime as long u can see the constellation with your eyes.

also make sure where ever your obsevering from there no street light house light porch lights this will make ahuge diference on what you see in dso.

joejaguar