SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

1.25" Herschel Wedges compared?

A McEwan

Hi,

Is there a thread or a page where the commonly availavle 1.25" Herschel Wedges are reviewed and compared? Am thinking I would like one for my 1.25" only scopes (I already have the older model Baader 2" one). Thanks.

Ant

Don’t know of any proper comparisons but can make the twofollowing recomendations

Excellent  quality and the best buy. Similar perormance to the Lunt. Comes with the TS version of the solar continuum filter as well. Several members on SGL are using it and very happy with it.

https://www.astroshop.eu/eyepiece-side-filters/ts-optics-solar-prism-with-polarizing-and-narrowband-filter-1-25-/p,53753

Probably the best 1.25” wedge is the Lacerta. Still reasonablely priced though you will have to buy a Baader contiuum filter separately. Found the 2” version was a match for the Baader cool wedge.

https://www.365astronomy.com/Lacerta-Brewster-angle-Herschel-Wedge-with-30mm-Prism-T-thread-ND3.0-1-25-Nosepiece-and-1.25-Eyepiece-Holder.html

good odea to get a sigle polarising filter as well toadjust the image brightness.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

I have a Lunt 1.25" fit HW which I'm happy with. I tried later a Lacerta version and thought it comparable although cheaper. If I was starting again I would buy the Lacerta as it is a larger unit and would probably dissipate heat more easily.     😀

• Like 1

Maybe these might help, Ant :icon_scratch:link, link, link. If not exactly what you're looking for, they may at least get you in the ball park. I've got the Lunt 1.25" + ND3, and a Baader polariser and continuum filter and have had it for years. Performs excellently and just as well as its first day. I imagine visually, they'll be little in it between the more popular wedges on the market.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have the Lacerta 2" and like the optical performance and relatively modest heat sink temperatures.
I can get mine unpleasantly warm after hours of tracking the high summer sun with my 7".
Lacerta fixed 2" ND3 in the base. Having a single polarizer in the rotating eyepiece base is a practical comfort touch.
I added a [2"] UV/IR blocker as extra insurance due to my 7" [180mm] aperture refractor.
You shouldn't need one with a smaller instrument and 1.25" wedge.

I'm still moving a 1.25" Baader SC from eyepiece to eyepiece and to camera and to binoviewer and back again.
Endlessly, so it must be really worth having to put up with all the hassle.
A 2" SC would make much better sense for me but it is rather pricey.
The 1.25" SC is well worth having for the smaller prism if it is still within your budget.

One other thing worth consideration in your solar prism choice is the viewing angle of the eyepiece around lunch time in high summer.
The Lacerta uses the 67° Brewster Angle and can make for some odd viewing angles when the sun is high.
While in the other three seasons the 67° actually makes much better, comfort sense than the normal 90° IMO.
This viewing angle factor will also depend on the size and mounted height of the instrument.
And also on whether you want to use a binoviewer.  In this case you may need to raise the instrument in high summer for greater comfort.

Now what was the question again? :biggrin:

• Like 1

I have a Lunt 1.25" fit HW which I'm happy with. I tried later a Lacerta version and thought it comparable although cheaper. If I was starting again I would buy the Lacerta as it is a larger unit and would probably dissipate heat more easily.     😀

13 hours ago, Rusted said:

I have the Lacerta 2" and like the optical performance and relatively modest heat sink temperatures.
I can get mine unpleasantly warm after hours of tracking the high summer sun with my 7".
Lacerta fixed 2" ND3 in the base. Having a single polarizer in the rotating eyepiece base is a practical comfort touch.
I added a [2"] UV/IR blocker as extra insurance due to my 7" [180mm] aperture refractor.
You shouldn't need one with a smaller instrument and 1.25" wedge.

I'm still moving a 1.25" Baader SC from eyepiece to eyepiece and to camera and to binoviewer and back again.
Endlessly, so it must be really worth having to put up with all the hassle.
A 2" SC would make much better sense for me but it is rather pricey.
The 1.25" SC is well worth having for the smaller prism if it is still within your budget.

One other thing worth consideration in your solar prism choice is the viewing angle of the eyepiece around lunch time in high summer.
The Lacerta uses the 67° Brewster Angle and can make for some odd viewing angles when the sun is high.
While in the other three seasons the 67° actually makes much better, comfort sense than the normal 90° IMO.
This viewing angle factor will also depend on the size and mounted height of the instrument.
And also on whether you want to use a binoviewer.  In this case you may need to raise the instrument in high summer for greater comfort.

Now what was the question again? :biggrin:

Great, thanks. 1.25" only as already have a 2". No binoviewer, but thanks for comments!  :)