Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Turns out I is an eejit!

daz

So, the run of clear nights has not been the success I was hoping it would be.... The system halted at around 12:30/12:40 every time - failing to plate solve seemed to be the main cause of the issue - but I couldn't work out why.

[System comprises MaximDL for guiding, acquisition controlled by CCD Commander which also monitors the weather conditions with my AAG. Taking a break from SGP as CCD Commander has (at this moment) slightly better handling of weather conditions that SGP - I suspect that will change in future, but anyway....]

So, Sunday night, I stayed up and baby-sat the rig - I was doing some playing with other stuff, so not a wasted evening at all - got to look through my new ES68 EPs in my ED72 - which was very nice!!

Anyway, we get to the appointed time when the failure occurs, and I can hear repeated "Slewing to target" alerts from EQMOD as it struggles to get in the right position and plate-solve. I dash in the observatory and realisation dawns on me!!

I was test-imaging M81/M82 and had completely forgotten that as they drop down to the bottom of the orbit around Polaris, they are obscured by some tall-ish trees a short-distance away from us... Of course, they have grown a bit over the year, making the problem even worse!!

No wonder I couldn't get a plate-solve from it!! So, made a cup of tea, did a bit more observing through the 72 for an hour or so, until we had cleared the trees and off we went again!!

What a dunce I am!

:D:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

That's much easier on the wife than me yesterday.

Honey, I know the doctor said you should get some exercise for your arthritis, but instead of me buying this above ground pool, I could have replaced my chainsaw. You'd get plenty of exercise!

I got the look of death!

• Haha 1

Lol, the perils of doing things with automated software.  I am afraid I am a bit of a dinosaur and do most of my stuff manually, and only walk away when it's all up and running OK.

All's well that ends well, but wasted clear nights..........😢

• Like 1

8 hours ago, carastro said:

I am afraid I am a bit of a dinosaur and do most of my stuff manually, and only walk away when it's all up and running OK.

Me too!!  Are you at Kelling this year Carole? Be nice to catch up, I saw your camper last year I think but didnt see you :)

Are you at Kelling this year Carole? Be nice to catch up, I saw your camper last year I think but didnt see you :)

Yes, I am on pitch T311.  I am booked from Thursday to Monday, but will come earlier/stay later if the skies are clear.

Do come and say hello.

Carole