Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tips for star alignment

Hi,

With my imaging set up it takes forever and a day for me to star align. Generally I spend 45 minutes aligning, which then means less time spent imaging.

What can I do to speed up the process?

Part of my problem is that i see too many stars on screen and find it difficult to precisely sync up to the right one. 

Thanks,

What acquisition software do you use for capturing your images? Astrophotography Tool and Sequence Generator Pro offer a plate solving solution. Just take a picture of the sky you are looking at and it will sync your location between the mount and planetarium software. Takes a few minutes and you are away to concentrate on imaging.

John

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hughsie said:

What acquisition software do you use for capturing your images?

I use Sharpcap. It has a plate solving function, but I hadn't used it. So does something like Sharpcap or SGP sync with your other software like cartes du ciel? 

I'll have a google and see what I can find, however I think what you guys have just suggested is going to help me massively.

Thanks!

On 27/08/2019 at 19:08, Hughsie said:

David has created a step by step guide to setting up platesolving in APT. Worth a look to get a feel as to what you need.

I just wanted to say thank you for sharing this with me. I followed the instructions step by step last night. 

Suffice to say I felt like a wizard. It worked perfectly and has made my sessions substantially easier. After doing it with plate solving I now cant see any other way of doing it. 

• Like 2

Hi there,

I recently made a video on how to setup plate solving in sequence generator Pro:

And this is my playlist on SGpro:

How to setup and use Sequence Generator Pro:

Hope this is useful for you, clear skies!