Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pics from last week; M27, M31, M57, NGC 7331

Hello all,

Have been imaging for about a year now.  Started unguided and had hoped to have an autoguider solution running by now, but haven't been able to get it to work yet.  Last week offered several clear nights, which I just had to exploit.  Thus made a few more unguided shots.  All with a SW 200PDS on a HEQ5, with an unmodded Nikon D7000 DSLR.

With the stunning images often posted here, it's a bit daunting to post your own, but have to stick my neck out sometime :)

M57 was made with a 2x Barlow & 15-sec subs (Still had to throw away a lot of them). The rest are made from 30-sec subs.  Aim is to take longer subs, once I get guiding to work.  M57, M27 & NGC 7331 are all cropped, while M31 is the full field, with image reduced in size.

Regards,

Erling

M57 DSSb crop.jpg

NGC 7331 DDS score 480b crop.jpg

M27 DSSd crop.jpg

M31 DSSc 50%.jpg

• Like 16

6 minutes ago, daemon said:

Great shots Erling!

I'm struggling with guiding too, so I feel your pain! 🙂

Your Andromeda shot is much better than my recent attempts.

Good luck and clear Skies!

Daemon Steve 

Thanks for the kind words Steve,

Did have a look at your M31 pics, but still being basically a newbie, it's little I can offer in the way of advice. Think you first and foremost need more subs, but what happens to your tracking, if it only works for such short periods ?

Regards,

Erling

Hi Erling,

Yes, I know I need more subs. Tracking failed this weekend because I failed to align very well (apart from initial PA) so lost the tracking quickly.

Just ran too short of time.

Cheers,

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Stu & John for the kind words.

Forgot to mention in the original post that they're stacked with DSS and processed with Astroart 6.0.

Still working on the guiding solution, but not quite there yet.  Also got a SW 130PDS last week, as supplement to the 200PDS (it's so cute next to it :smile:)   It should give me the option of wider fields, and the option to image in slightly more windy conditions than today.  Hope also to be able to make longer unguided exposures.  Waiting for a few bits & bobs before I can start using it - a new dovetail, as the standard one isn't compatible with the ADM saddle I put on my mount, and a Bahtinov mask in correct size.   Weather of course has been cloudy and rainy since it arrived.  Planned first light is M31, which should make for an interesting comparison with the 200PDS shot above.

Regards,

Erling