Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ha with a DSLR (Non Modded)

blinky

The more I think about modded camera's the more I cannot figure out why it is necessary :D Surely Ha light is visible to the hunan eye, therfor surely there must be 'things' that are Ha coloured....say a nice red jumper! Anyway if you took a picture of said Ha coloured jumper it would turn out red in the image, yes?

So......I read the canons are not sensitive to Ha BUT I assume this is compensated for in the colour balance setting of the camera :) SO why mod them :p

Yeah but as I was saying if you had a jumper on that was Ha coloured and took a picture if it then it would look natural. I assume that although the sensor only gets 20% of the light that it is compensated for somehow? I dont think I am explaining this right!

What I mean is that something completly Ha coloured would produce a normal picture not a 20% bright picture, you know where I am coming from?

Arrgggggg!! I cannot explain what I mean!

OK I have a jumper that is the same colour as Ha Light. If you take a picure of me wearing it then the picture will look fine. The red jumper wont be really faint or anything. The camera knows it is getting less light at this wavelenght and the white balance is already compensating for it. Am I making any more sense?

I've got a question related to this:

When you record Ha on a CCD and then produce the image on the screen, the original Ha is then represented in a red colour that the human eye can see, is that right??? My monitor doesn't blast Ha into my eyeball does it??? So if I got in my space ship and flew to the Rosette Nebulae I wouldn't see the lovely red gas clouds, or would I?

Sam

Probably look Green Sam. I'm sure Hydrogen is green to the eye. Maybe wrong, I just recall reading this somewhere. I have seen a greenish hue in the Orion Neb. in a large Newt.

Ron.

I think you are right Ron, Orion Neb looks green in my 16".

When you record Ha on a CCD and then produce the image on the screen, the original Ha is then represented in a red colour that the human eye can see, is that right??? My monitor doesn't blast Ha into my eyeball does it??? So if I got in my space ship and flew to the Rosette Nebulae I wouldn't see the lovely red gas clouds, or would I?

Sam

I thought it was caused by an electon in an Ha atom gets given energy and jumps up to the next orbital, but then falls back down and releases this energy back and this energy is emitted as light, at a certain wavelength and we just associate that wavelength as Ha?

So it is light you are seeing. Not Hydrogen Atoms beamed into your eyes.

:D

Kurt

Sam

I thought it was caused by an electon in an Ha atom gets given energy and jumps up to the next orbital, but then falls back down and releases this energy back and this energy is emitted as light, at a certain wavelength and we just associate that wavelength as Ha?

So it is light you are seeing. Not Hydrogen Atoms beamed into your eyes.

:D

Kurt

:hello2: I realised it wasn't H atoms flying into my eyeball, I need to type clearer, but the the light at that particular frequency - caused by what you said. :):grin:

Hydrogen Alpha is Red

Sulpher II is also red

Oxygen III is green

As the human eye is far more senstive to green, its easier to see visually. The eye is least sensitive to red... why do you think you are using red screen covers and red torches, eh?

Just for fun, I asked my psychologist friend about this, and it turns out the colour response of the eye is all Very Complicated. Apparently the three colour cones all overlap in response, so H-alpha is likely to trigger a green response at some level and maybe even blue! Then some fancy differencing goes on in the brain to decide what colour you actually see. One consequence of all this is that if you do an experiment to illuminate just an individual red cone (which is possible, apparantly) you do not see red.

NigelM

Archived