SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Help with motivation for observing tonight please.

Greymouser

As the title says, can you help me motivate myself to set up now for a little session later please. I know I should not need it, but I do. I am stressed out; tired; my back; shoulder and knee ache like mad. but the forecast is for a good clear spell, with just a little risk of light cloud. Which is unfortunately, the same as it was last night, then it decided to get lots of high thin cloud, quickly followed by misty filth! 

Looking outside now, I can see thin wispy high cloud and already a hint of mist, so my motivation is disappearing fast, which is not further helped by a terrible southern horizon, which allows me to see little below 20 degrees. I am struggling. :sad:

• Like 3

Been there. Breathe. :happy11:

Don't do it for a result. Just have some fun setting up your kit and mucking about. I'll be out with you - and I see b-all below 30 degrees, so there!

We can share sightings here. Nothing fancy required - easy favs will do.

• Like 6

It's OK to give it a miss sometimes you know ?. Thats something that I learned a while back when I got to the point when I was almost disappointed to see a clear sky.

It's a hobby - if you feel like doing it, great, but if not, do something else instead. You are in charge, not the hobby !

If you are feeling like that sometimes the forum can seem a little daunting with folks all apparently rushing outside each and every clear night. But it's fine not to actually observe sometimes, good for your overall enjoyment of the hobby in fact, IMHO.

The Universe will still be there for you when you do feel like having a peek at it, thats for sure :smiley:

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, John said:

sometimes the forum can seem a little daunting with folks all apparently rushing outside each and every clear night

It can...

12 minutes ago, John said:

But it's fine not to actially observe sometimes, good for your overall enjoyment of the hobby in fact, IMHO.

...and it is. I always check Clear Inside before checking Clear Outside. :icon_biggrin:

So, permission granted to stay in, but feel free to join me / us outside tonight, if it may get your mind in a better place.

Edited by iPeace
  • Like 3

Very much agree with John.

I've also found that deciding not to get kit out, but just to sit outside for as long as I want to with a pair of bins or even just mark i eyeballs and revisit "old friends", perhaps even with a glass of something to keep me warm, makes me feel positive because I've not "wasted" a clear night, but haven't actually had to work for it :)

James

• Like 5

Just be  a quickie session for tonight, as I have a looooong drive for work tomorrow. Both should lie in the same fov in my EP in my scope (fingers crossed);

A nice double star 16 Cyni, and  the Blinking planetary nebula NGC6826. Probably have a peek at Jupiter and Saturn too at some point. 

A6469D00-26FC-4916-A5F5-2A537DDE7493.thumb.png.341ac0125f68d3dfe49cc128b9514cb9.png

Edited by Knighty2112
  • Like 4

Like others say, it’s fine not to go out. I do get it though, the feeling of a lost opportunity when it’s clear, especially on a weekend or a night when you don’t have to be up early the next day. I’ve found if I force it, it’s a bad session, clumsy alignment, basic errors setting up and frustration trying to find your targets.  

Tonight looks great, but it’s my wedding anniversary tomorrow, I’m off work for the week, and I’m torn between setting up or not bothering so I’m not tired tomorrow. I know what I should do, so I think I’ll just give it a miss. Camping in North Yorkshire later in the week so time for a bit of wide field imaging. Hopefully I’ll match last weeks picture of our tent at night. 

Whatever you decide, don’t beat yourself up, winters on the way.  

5B2DCC0D-AA04-4875-B7D9-2380BD084430.jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, John said:

The Universe will still be there for you when you do feel like having a peek at it, thats for sure :smiley:

Said firmly tongue in cheek, but the way we're treating the planet ... It might not be 😂

• Like 1

I share the same feeling sometimes, just discouraged to take my 10 inch dob outside, or spend too much time to set my EQ mount for the other scope.. Not to mention the hot weather here. I was wondering if a binoculars will be a good solution for those nights. If I use it and calm, I may be encouraged to bring a scope, or maybe not.

On another note, observing partners do get me encouraged, even if they are not helpful! Every weekend, for the past weeks, I get back from work, ready up the set, do 3 flights of stairs to carry my 3 scopes to the car+accessories , drive an hour to meet up with the party and stay until 3 AM :evil4:

It's tough but worth it, It was only me for years, now we are 5. The hardest part is going back home late wanting to go straight to bed, but realise I have to carry everything upstairs :angry2:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JamesF said:

Very much agree with John.

I've also found that deciding not to get kit out, but just to sit outside for as long as I want to with a pair of bins or even just mark i eyeballs and revisit "old friends", perhaps even with a glass of something to keep me warm, makes me feel positive because I've not "wasted" a clear night, but haven't actually had to work for it :)

James

Good idea. MK I eyeballs and little monocular it was then, whilst lying very comfortably on a lounger, gazing up at Cygnus, ( through the wispy stuff and despite the light pollution, in my Bortle 6 skies, ) almost directly above! :smiley: Only problem was the dew that was gathering on the cushion of the lounger and the mosquitoes that came to feed on me!  :rolleyes2: ( didn't dare to risk a glass of anything. )

I did try my cheap Bresser spotting scope, which is very light on the little tripod, but that just reminded me how poor it was, maybe off to charity with that.

Thank you everyone with your help with my little wobble and whilst a good post @John, luckily I did not have to go quite so far to get a little reset. The thing is it would have been nice to sleep out there, ( with a mossie net! ) or so I thought, until someone close by set a large firework off! I nearly pooped and pity the Wood Pigeon that sounded like it fell off its perch, in a nearby tree and flew off! I wouldn't mind, but it is still August! :shocked:

Relaxed again, isn't the universe wonderful? :smiley:

Edit  @John Incidentally, I just wondered, how many times you have posted that or very similar on this forum? :tongue:

Edited by Greymouser
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Good to hear you had a nice session, Greymouser :thumbright: I hope your aches are also on the mend; perhaps a good rest is in order :smiley:

A few years back I just didn't fancy doing any more night time observing. So I packed up my kit, put it all away and turned to painting and building tiny scale models. I knew the wonder and love of astronomy and stargazing was still there, but the time wasn't right. I needed to do something else. I figured that if I needed a week's break, I'd take a week, if I needed a year, well I'd take that too.

What I want to say is that you're not alone in your despondency. I imagine many of us have felt the same 'motivational crisis' at one time or another but when it happens, don't beat yourself up about it. Sometimes we just need to walk away for a while, do something different and have time out. Sometimes, I guess, we just have to put what weve been up to behind us, before we can move on.

• Like 4

I did not feel like observing last night.too tired what with the heat and all. Made the effort and within half an hour felt wide awake. Had a good two hour session locating globulars. Also received a generous number of mozzy and related insect bites. I use to use an insect repellant years ago called Flypel the one the night fishermen used. Not available now. So now I am itching to get out there again tonight............Dave

• Like 3

Last night was forecast to be clear from 10pm till about 4am and by 11am it was cloudy🙁Today’s forecast is dry so I decided to mow the lawn, got halfway through and it started to pour down. I f they can’t forecast the weather when it is actually happening I don’t see much point taking any notice of forecasts 🙄

• Like 1

18 hours ago, knobby said:

Said firmly tongue in cheek, but the way we're treating the planet ... It might not be 😂

Oh the Universe and the planet will still be here. It might not be such a suitable habitat for us though.

• Like 3

Well, tonight I had another little session, hoping to look at Jupiter, but I missed the small chance I get: it had disappeared behind next doors house, so had to settle for Saturn. :rolleyes2: I used the C5 on the manual Horizon tripod, for a quick grab and go, which turned out very nice thank you! I know it has been said many times, but does this planet ever get boring to look at? I only intended a quick 20 minutes or so, ended up about an hour and a half! I certainly found Titan and think I may have seen Enceladus and Rhea, maybe Dione. but I am far from sure as the view was far from consistent. I also got hints of belts on the planet, but again I find myself doubting what I saw, I need more experience and cannot wait until future years. I used several eyepieces, but found the best views came with the Baader Classic Ortho 10mm and the 20 mm ES 62 degree. I did try the Nirvanna 7 mm, but the seeing was just not up to it really.

I find the BCO 10mm to be a better eyepiece than the 10mm Hyperion, even though it is cheaper. I have been disappointed with the Hyperion and the Nirvana, as I  find the 62 degree ES eyepieces ( and BCO, ) to be quite a lot sharper, for want of a better word. I think I will have to expand my collection. To be honest I find the OVL Extra flat to be better than the Nirvana too. perhaps my eye just prefers the narrower field of view...

Anyway a great little session and I found myself tempted to  get the Evolution out, but my back said no. :smiley: There was an awful lot of dew too tonight, which was annoying, but it made me double check everything afterwards, which was useful, as I found a very small patch of ' something ' on the corrector plate. It is only about 2mm across, but I think it maybe needs attention, before it grows more.

Now I am feeling re energised and am thinking of hefting the Evolution out for the next clear night, perhaps alongside my AZGTi, as soon as I get the tripod adapter. Thanks again everyone, me backing off a little bit has certainly helped. :smiley:

• Like 2