Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Noise reduction

Hi Guys,

I have been trying to process 2 images taken the other night with my modified 450d, it was rather hot that evening. 

I have 2 stacked files of M31 and M45. Would some of you be able to look into the images see if they can be processed at all or is the noise going to wash them both out?

https://1drv.ms/u/s!At2HsbO3QDb65yoMkUKbDDiPD550?e=K6Mudf

Thanks in advance.

I checked them out in PS and from what I could see didn't need any noise reduction . However on different computers show different things . But when noise reduction is done enlarge the image to 100% and no more then reduce noise . If you have several frames of each stacking will eliminate most or all noise to acceptable levels . But on these two frames I would leave alone with noise reduction . Too much will make it soft . 

2 hours ago, celestron8g8 said:

I checked them out in PS and from what I could see didn't need any noise reduction . However on different computers show different things . But when noise reduction is done enlarge the image to 100% and no more then reduce noise . If you have several frames of each stacking will eliminate most or all noise to acceptable levels . But on these two frames I would leave alone with noise reduction . Too much will make it soft . 

Thanks for taking a look. That's odd. When I start processing in pixinsight or ps I see a lot of noise, maybe I'll try again :)

These images do look like they have a lot of noise🤔 I would add many more exposures and see if it gets better.

For noise reduction in Pixinsight, I found it best to use three separate processes all with a grayscale range mask.

First, TGV denoise with a local support image.

Second, multiscale median transformation at 8 different scales and amounts.

Third, ADCNR after stretching the image if it still requires nose reduction.

However, if you feel the data is a bit thin or has too much noise, just get more exposure. The more you add, the easier it will be to process.

13 hours ago, HunterHarling said:

These images do look like they have a lot of noise🤔 I would add many more exposures and see if it gets better.

For noise reduction in Pixinsight, I found it best to use three separate processes all with a grayscale range mask.

First, TGV denoise with a local support image.

Second, multiscale median transformation at 8 different scales and amounts.

Third, ADCNR after stretching the image if it still requires nose reduction.

However, if you feel the data is a bit thin or has too much noise, just get more exposure. The more you add, the easier it will be to process.

I assume that the amount of noise I have gathered in these images will be due to temperature. It was easily around 20C in the evening these images were captured.

I agree with @HunterHarling on this one: both images could use more data. More data is always the best noise reduction you can apply. As is, the galaxy is still very faint in your stacked Andromeda image, as is the reflection nebula in your M45 image. If you're shooting from a light polluted site, you also need a longer total exposure time to reduce the sky noise.

51 minutes ago, wimvb said:

I agree with @HunterHarling on this one: both images could use more data. More data is always the best noise reduction you can apply. As is, the galaxy is still very faint in your stacked Andromeda image, as is the reflection nebula in your M45 image. If you're shooting from a light polluted site, you also need a longer total exposure time to reduce the sky noise.

I managed in the end to get rid of the noise, turns out that some of the dark frames were adding noise rather than canceling it out. I am in Bortle 8 skies so fairly washed out I got 1hr on M45 and 1hr20 on M31 I will aim for more data next time so I can get more detail. 

I'm happy I managed to pull my first image of M31 from it though :)

AndromedaM31Done2.png

• Like 1